PDA

View Full Version : grow out tiime?

wolf13
05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I am on the verge of ordering my first discus, after planning for a few years I finally have a tank I can be happy doing it in. I am resisting the temptation to dump them straight into my main tank (75g planted community, blackwater, CO2, mostly sword plants, frogbit and driftwood. It was a direct transfer from my 55g so most of the wood, gravel, etc are aged, and the plants are coming out of the move pretty well, while not a perfectly established tank, its also not a new one per se.) and will instead grow them out a little first.

Typically, how big do people let them grow before moving them to a main tank? full size or is there a leveling off point where they are still growing, but are past the major growing phase? About how long of time are we looking at from a 2.5 incher typically?

The growout will be a 29 to start with, probably (99% sure) 5 fish, absolutely no more then 6. I do have a 55g 36x18 I COULD set up, but that is kinda a last resort due to space issues and having to buy all new equipment for it. at what size should they absolutely be moved out by from the 29, otherwise I was thinking the 4.5 mark would catch most of the early growth? Or is the 29g an absolute no, and I should just go straight in the 75g and do the best I can?

yes, I realize waterchanges will be key any way I look at it. I read a couple of places people use 29's for breeders so thought it might work. I am not really looking for show quality per se, more like just nice discus I can be proud of and not looking like petstore rejects because they were stunted early on.

Eddie
05-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd move them at 5-5.5 inches.

2.5 to 5 inches will depend on the quality of the fish, amount of water you change daily, amount of foods fed daily, types of foods you feed, and tank size.

If you want an estimate, some can do it in 3 months and for some it will take 9 months or even never.

Eddie

Jhhnn
05-25-2009, 08:27 PM
You have the right tank, the 55- you're just trying to avoid using it.

Not that I blame you, but young discus have enormous appetites that must be fed if they're to grow quickly to adulthood, to become the large fish you want. In a small tank, the heavy feedings required mean very large water changes daily, and create a fragile system that can deteriorate very quickly if you become inattentive at all...

Yeh, sure, you can start 'em out in the 29, but be prepared to keep a close eye on 'em, change a large amount of water, and be ready to move to the 55 within a couple of months... where you'll still need to change a lot of water.

Growing out young fish is very inefficient in terms of food vs growth, which is why you need the water changes. You might be better served to buy some adult discus, as the feeding requirements are really a lot less than with juvies...

Some of our sponsors routinely offer near adult domestic browns for very reasonable prices, and they're beautiful creatures in their own right...

Just one guy's opinion, of course...

Eddie
05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Agree the 55 would be the way to go instead of the 29. As soon as you get an inch or 2 on them, they will need to be moved anyways.

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree with the others...just go straight to the 55 gallon tank. Even if you purchased 5 or 6 2.5" inch discus you would need to move them within 8 weeks to a larger tank when they reached 3.5-4". I have ten 3" Blue Knights in a 75 gallon grow out tank.

wolf13
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
somehow, I knew that would be the answer:(

Keasbeynights
05-29-2009, 11:53 PM
somehow, I knew that would be the answer:(

On the bright side, you sought the advice! I agree that leaving them in the 29 for too long could go bad. It could stunt their growth.

GrillMaster
05-31-2009, 12:50 AM
As the others mentioned...Set up the 55G and grow them out in that. Anything less is just asking for a post in the disease section. :)