PDA

View Full Version : Food, feeding and recipies

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
For those of you who are interested in knowing what I feed my discus, I thought I would provide you with the recipies and instuctions on how to prepare and feed your discus with simple, inexpensive homemade recipies.

The recipies below have served me well over the years and I encourage anyone interested in in making their own discus mixes to either use these or adapt a version of your own. Most of the ingredients used in my recipies are very similar to other recipies found just about anywhere.

We use the recipes below to provide our dicus with the balanced nutrition they need. Feel free to try these at home! After a few feedings, your discus will prefer your homemade recipie over any other food and you'll see noteable growth on your young discus too!

Discus Deep Sea Mix:

■1/2 lb Fresh Raw Cod
■1/2 lb Fresh Raw Alaska Wild Salmon
■1/2 lb Fresh Raw Shrimp
■6 Pulverized Adult Multivitamins
■1/2 Cup Blanched Spinach
■1 Tbsp Brewer's Yeast
■1 Banana
■3 Crushed Garlic Cloves
■1/2 Tsp Paprika

Instructions:

1. Ensure that shells are removed and that all meat is clean and free of any connective tissue or skin.

2. Begin by pulverizing the multivitamins and Brewer's Yeast in a food processor.

3. Once the vitamins are pulverized, add the paprika and the garlic cloves. Allow this to become a super fine mince.

4. Add the blanched spinach and the banana. Allow this to mix well. Remove this mixture to a large bowl.

5. In the food processor, add the Salmon, Talapia and Shrimp. Blend to a paste. Remove this mixture to the bowl with the other ingredients and stir together well.

6. Choose a freezing method. I like to use smaller than average ice cube trays. I fill the trays and put them in the freezer. You can alos freeze a "slab" in a freezer bag and cut off what you need for feeding. Your choice!

Discus Beefheart 4 lb Mix:

■2 lb Fresh Raw Beefheart
■1 lb Fresh Raw Cod
■3/4 lb Fresh Raw Shrimp
■1 bunch cpinach
■1/2 Tsp Paprika
■3 Tbsp Spirulina Powder (food grade dietary supplement) containing the following:

Spirulina (certified organic)
Alfalfa grass juice powder (certified organic)
Barley grass juice powder (certified organic)
Oat grass juice powder (certified organic)
Wheat grass juice powder (certified organic)
Hydrilla verticillata (wild crafted)
Alfalfa sprout powder (certified organic)
Kamut® grass juice powder (certified organic)
Chlorella, pharmaceutical grade, soft cell
Beet juice powder (certified organic)
Parsley powder, freeze dried (certified organic)
Zucchini powder, freeze dried
Carrot root powder (certified organic)
Green bean powder, freeze dried
Broccoli sprout powder (certified organic)
Spinach, freeze dried (certified organic)
Lecithin powder (Soy, non-GMO), 98% oil-free
Vitamin E (water dispersible d-alpha-tocopheryl succinate)
Policosanol (60% Octacosanol; from rice bran wax)
Larch arabinogalactan (FiberAid™ AG)
Fructo-oligosaccharides
Stabilized Brown Rice Bran
Whole Apple powder (certified organic)
Milled Flaxseed concentrate (certified organic, non-GMO, de-oiled)
Acerola berry juice powder
(25% natural vitamin C, certified organic)
Silymarin milk thistle extract (80% silybin: Silibum marianum)
Ginkgo biloba extract
(24% gingkoflavonglycosides, 6% terpene lactones)
Grape seed standardized extract
(95% polyphenols, 90% proanthocyanidins)
Green tea standardized extract
(95% polyphenols, 80% catechins, 45% EGCG)
Pomegranate extract (40% ellagic acid)
Schizandra berry extract (2% schizandrin)
Eleutherococcus senticosus root extract (0.8% eleutherosides)
Suma powder (Pfaffia paniculata) root extract (2.5% beta-ecdysterone)
Astragalus membranaceus extract (70% polysaccharides)
Larch arabinogalactan (ImmunEnhancer™ AG)
Beta 1,3-1,6 glucans 70% (yeast)
Rockweed (certified organic)
Bladderwrack (wild harvested)
Nova Scotia Dulse (certified organic)
Lactobacillus rhamnosus HA-111
Lactobacillus rhamnosus B, HA-114
Lactobacillus acidophilus HA-122
Bifidobacterium bifidum HA-132
Bifidobacterium breve HA-129
Bifidobacterium longum HA-135
Lactobacillus helveticus HA-128
Lactobacillus paracasei HA-108
Lactobacillus plantarum HA-119
Protease 4.5, (Aspergillus oryzae)
Protease 6.0, (Aspergillus oryzae)
Lipase (Aspergillus niger)
Amylase (Aspergillus oryzae)
Invertase (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
Cellulase (Trichoderma longbrachiatum)
Vitamin D3 (in an organic alfalfa base)
Phyto-Boron (patented, from calcium fructo borate)
Fortifying Phyto-Minerals
Phyto-Chromium (from Indian mustard, hydroponically grown)
Phyto-Selenium (from Indian mustard, hydroponically grown)
Ginger root powder (certified organic)
Cayenne pepper powder (certified organic)
Mango powder (freeze dried)

Instructions:

1. Ensure that shells are removed and that all meat is clean and free of any connective tissue or skin.

2. Begin by pulverizing the multivitamins in a food processor.

3. Add the mixed vegetables, paprika, spirulina powder and the banana. Allow this to mix well. Remove this mixture to a large bowl.

5. In the food processor, add the Beef Heart, Cod and Shrimp. Blend to a paste. Remove this mixture to the bowl with the other ingredients and stir together well.

6. Choose a freezing method. I like to use smaller than average ice cube trays. I fill the trays and put them in the freezer. You can alos freeze a "slab" in a freezer bag and cut off what you need for feeding. Your choice!

For my challenge fish, I'll be feeding four times a day. I alternate the the two recipies above. I also keep frozen blood worm on hand and feed that from time to time as a snack. If you count the blood worms as a meal, then the daily feeding count is 5 to 6 daily.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Does it stink when you are mixing it? I have a weak tummy.

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Kath,

There is a bit of an odor, but it's not overwhelming. The beefheart smells less than the fish mix. Hope that helps!

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Oh ok, I might try one then. Been reading Eddies mixes too, when I asked him if it was smelly he said it was really bad, can't handle that. Just thought I could take it out on the back porch to mix...more air movement there!

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Kath,

It's typically the seafood that adds the stink to the mixes. You can make the beefheart without the fish as well. Tha back porch sounds like a perfect idea! Let me know how it works out for you!

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes I will, but don't hold your breath it might be awhile till I try it!

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Kath,

No worries! ;)

Eddie
05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice mixes Chad, should beef them up in no time.

Take care,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Eddie,

Thanks bro! It's worked well so far!

Take it easy man!

Scribbles
05-25-2009, 10:48 PM
They sound llike good mixes Chad. Do you feed other foods as well? Someone should sell these mixes already made for those of us who can't stomach the thought of making our own. Could make some good $. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Chris,

Nope! That's it. The only prepared food that I buy is bloodworm. I'd be willing to make these mixes for anyone interested. Maybe work out a deal to get some money back to SD? I think Al would like that!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
05-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Count me in on that deal!

Chris

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Count me in on that deal!

Chris

Awesome! Let me know!

calihawker
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Does it stink when you are mixing it? I have a weak tummy.

My wife sure thinks so!:p

Scribbles
05-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Chris,

Nope! That's it. The only prepared food that I buy is bloodworm. I'd be willing to make these mixes for anyone interested. Maybe work out a deal to get some money back to SD? I think Al would like that!

Best wishes!

Let us know what your prices are. I bet there will be plenty of interest.

Chris

Mr Wild
05-26-2009, 06:04 AM
They sound llike good mixes Chad. Do you feed other foods as well? Someone should sell these mixes already made for those of us who can't stomach the thought of making our own. Could make some good $. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Great idea Chris, wish I lived closer. Bit too far across the pond for me!

My wife sure thinks so!:p

Oh dear, well on the porch with mask and gloves and up wind! LOL:D

kirkp
05-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey Chad,

Sound like pretty good recipes. How well does it stick together in the tank? It must be all the seafood that's the binder?

Kirk

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Let us know what your prices are. I bet there will be plenty of interest.

Chris

Chris,

I'm going to make a batch of each tonight. I'll cost it out and see where we're at I'll post the results this evening.

Best wishes!

Hey Chad,

Sound like pretty good recipes. How well does it stick together in the tank? It must be all the seafood that's the binder?

Kirk

Kirk,

It stays together very well! Very little debris left over and it doesn't cause big debris plooms when it gets attacked by hungry discus. I'll try and tanke a video of it this week.

Best wishes!

calihawker
05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Great idea to market it on behalf of SD.:)
When I was first going through Eddies posts I figured someone was going to eventually do it.

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Steve,

Yeah I fgiure if I'm making it anyway, why not offer good foods to SD members and get SD some extra $$!

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
OK. I've completed a 4 lb mix of beefheart this evening. I updated the actual recipe ingredients (post #1) for reasons of full disclosure of what is actually in the mix.

I costed the mix and if it sold for $15 per lb, then my costs would be covered and SD would receive $3.00 for every lb sold. Check out the ingredients! this is no run of the mill mix and I've been using it for as long as I can remember. Works great for growth and overall health.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there if anyone is interested. Naturally, shipping is extra and I would have to quote that by individual order.

Best wishes!

Scribbles
05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Chad,

Just tried to PM you and couldn't get it to work. Anyway looking to ship to Sammamish, WA 98074. You can PM me with shipping costs and how to pay you.

Chris

Chad Hughes
05-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Chris,

Once I figure out the shipping method I'll let you know. I was kind of hoping that Al would chime in on his beefheart post and let me know what his methods are. Never shipped an item like this before. I'm sure he ships next day. I was more interested in what he uses to keep it all frozen. Dry ice??

Best wishes!

Scribbles
05-27-2009, 02:36 AM
I would think dry ice and next day but I don't know.

Chris

Chad Hughes
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Chris,

Agreed. I'll PM Al to see if he has any suggestions.

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Chris,

OK, I've got some answers for you. Based on postage rates, I'd advise purchasing in bulk. I did a quick calculation through USPS and came up with the following information:

Postage Quote (http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?Country=Domestic&M=2&P=10&O=0&OZ=92114&DZ=98074&MailingDate=5/27/2009&MailingTime=17:00&Restrict=False)

You can contact me by phone if you like to discuss your needs. My number is 619.573.8649.

Best wishes!

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Awsome mix you have there Chad. I'll try modifing mine next time.

You don't add any geltine?

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Chad Hughes
05-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Ahmed,

No gelatin. It holds up well during feedings. I'll be posting a video of a feeding soon. You'll see what I mean.

Best wishes!

kirkp
05-28-2009, 06:51 AM
One thing to consider is that Al has stopped shipping his at this time due to the heat. May be something to take into consideration.

Kirk

Chad Hughes
05-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Kirk,

Good point. I've never shipped anything frozen before. Maybe now is not a good time.

Best wishes!

Scribbles
05-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Chad

It was in the low 80s today and is supposed to stay there for the next week or so. It's usually about 70 this time of year. I think we may end up needing to wait for fall or a cold spell to hit the west coast.

Chris

Chad Hughes
05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Chris,

You may be right. Can't do too much about the weather!

We tried! LOL!

Best wishes!

plecocicho
05-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Chad, you are really pushing grow out plans in the alter direction. Killer filtration setup, really nice grown out tank with some nice fast growing plants. I really like your recipes because mix of different plant powders with vitamine bomb and enzymes and digestive bacteria is great step to the more natural and balnced diet of what discus actually eat in nature (regarding the nutritional values and percentage of plant materials, not ingredients wise).

Chad Hughes
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Chad, you are really pushing grow out plans in the alter direction. Killer filtration setup, really nice grown out tank with some nice fast growing plants. I really like your recipes because mix of different plant powders with vitamine bomb and enzymes and digestive bacteria is great step to the more natural and balnced diet of what discus actually eat in nature (regarding the nutritional values and percentage of plant materials, not ingredients wise).

Plecocicho,

Thank you for your post and your kind words. I've had great success with my methods and I too feel that the environment and the diet are possibly the best! I know I could change more water every day, but I don't see a huge difference by not doing so. I get great growth, I can't remember the last time that I had a disease issue, and breeding is constant in these conditions. To me, it's a win, win! You definately understand my approach! Thanks!

Mr Wild
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Chad
Going back to your Beefheart mix

■1 lb Fresh Raw Cod
■3/4 lb Fresh Raw Shrimp
■1 bunch cpinach
■1/2 Tsp Paprika
■3 Tbsp Spirulina Powder (food grade dietary supplement) containing the following:

Is the spirilina powder a human supplement? Also do you only use the green leaf of the spinach or the entire stalk?
Kath

Chad Hughes
06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Chad
Going back to your Beefheart mix

■1 lb Fresh Raw Cod
■3/4 lb Fresh Raw Shrimp
■1 bunch cpinach
■1/2 Tsp Paprika

Is the spirilina powder a human supplement? Also do you only use the green leaf of the spinach or the entire stalk?
Kath

Kath,

Yes, it is a human supplement. The brand of the supplement is Green Vibrance. You can get it at a health store that sells supplements like GNC. When I cook the spinach I use the whole leaf, including the stock.

Best wishes!

plecocicho
06-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Chaqd, you mix lactic acid bacteria directly into the mix? How much lactic acid bacteria in powder do you mix with 50 g of whole mix?

Chad Hughes
06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Chaqd, you mix lactic acid bacteria directly into the mix? How much lactic acid bacteria in powder do you mix with 50 g of whole mix?

The Green Vibrance powder has the ingredient in it, so I really couldn't tell you for sure how much. My recipe uses three tablespoons of the whole powder for four lbs of beefheart mix. I havn't really taken the time to figure out the "per serving" analysis. Sorry!

Best wishes

Chad Hughes
07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I made a fesh batch of beefheart this evening and thought I would take a few shots to show those that are interested the process.

Picture #1 Is a shot of the pureed components of the mix. Everything is processed to a paste in a food processor.

Picture #2 is a picture of those components mixed well.

Picture #3 shows the molds and the ziplock bag that I use to squeeze the mix in to the molds.

Picture #4 is the finished product. I had some left over so I made a couple of small flat packs.

Enjoy!

Eddie
07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Looks tasty Chad! Are those standard ice cube trays or tiny square type?

Eddie

Chad Hughes
07-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Looks tasty Chad! Are those standard ice cube trays or tiny square type?

Eddie

It's delicious! LOL! It's a smaller version. I'd say about a half cube. Once they are frozen, I cut each cube in to 8th's. That's a good bite size chunk.

Best wishes!

Eddie
07-09-2009, 12:48 AM
It's delicious! LOL! It's a smaller version. I'd say about a half cube. Once they are frozen, I cut each cube in to 8th's. That's a good bite size chunk.

Best wishes!

Cool beans!

Take care and thanks for sharing the photos

Eddie

silent_thunder
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
what is the name of these discus y`all are raising?
very nice indeed....
thx
D

David Rose
08-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for sharing Chad! I'll definitely give it a try.

Chad Hughes
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
what is the name of these discus y`all are raising?
very nice indeed....
thx
D

Golden Albino cross

Thanks for sharing Chad! I'll definitely give it a try.

I think you'll like the result! ;)

MostlyDiscus
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Thx Chad for the food mix. Think I will be using that one next. I might use less spirulina powder though. Can be bitter. Hope all is good,

Ed

Chad Hughes
09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Ed,

Make it your own my friend! I realy think that what it's all about. :)

Best wishes!