PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Hygrophila to give away

Harriett
05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I was away for 10 days and my sunset hygro got totally out of hand. I did a big haircut yesterday and have about a gallons' worth of trimmings to get rid of. Hate to throw them away--PM me and I will send some out to you. [Can send a bunch to several people.] This needs to happen quickly so the plants don't degrade. They are sitting in a rubbermaid container right now. Just cover the shipping.
Best regards,
Harriett

alan j t
05-26-2009, 03:29 PM
pm sent

korbi_doc
05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Harriet, I'd love to try this plant, would even be glad to buy some from you to put in my 2 55g wild tanks that could use some color...just let me know how much I will owe you & how to pay...thanks, my postal code is 38376....Dottie.

GrillMaster
05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Excellent Harriet!! That is one of the nicest plants I had in my planted tanks. A lil C02 and this stuff grows so fast ya cant keep up with it! :)

Very nice gesture! :thumbsup:

Wahter
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
You need to be careful 'advertising' that species of plant.

Hygrophila polysperma is a Federally designated noxious weed. It's just an example of a non-native plant that was imported for the aquarium trade and some knucklehead tossed it out into the wild, where it spread and choked out some of the native plants.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/191

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/weeds/downloads/weedlist2006.pdf

"§ 360.300 General prohibitions and restrictions on the movement of noxious weeds; permits.
(a) No person may move a Federal noxious weed into or through the United States, or interstate, unless:

(1) He or she obtains a permit for such movement in accordance with paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section;"

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/weeds/downloads/7cfr360-06.pdf

Now you know! Make sure there aren't any federal agents lurking on here....

Walter

Apistomaster
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I was going to say the same thing as Walter but he handled it well already.
This drives the plant to an underground market. Take care to not let it die out if you want it to remain in the hobby. It will remain a favorite species despite the prohibitions.
Not encouraging anyone to break the law; just stating the facts with regard to any such prohibition. Some people will always ignore such prohibitions as history tells us.

GrillMaster
05-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I dont believe Dottie falls within the noxious weed catorgory. I believe its Cal. that hates Hygro, although I could be wrong. It has happened once before...;)

Harriet...I sure hope you can fix Dottie up with the Hygro cause it is a great plant for a tank! :thumbsup:

I wont tell...I promise. ;)

Wahter
05-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I dont believe Dottie falls within the noxious weed catorgory. I believe its Cal. that hates Hygro, although I could be wrong. It has happened once before...;)

Harriet...I sure hope you can fix Dottie up with the Hygro cause it is a great plant for a tank! :thumbsup:

I wont tell...I promise. ;)

Hygrophila polysperma is a Federally designated noxious weed

Federal = ALL the states in the USA! Not a state restriction, a Federal Restriction.

Walter

korbi_doc
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
;) Hmmmmmmm, not me, not me, not me.....hmmmmmmmmmm;)

cmich
06-01-2009, 12:57 AM
It is a great plant... too bad its on the list as a noxious weed. Have some in my tank from a while back, it would be a shame to see it die out in the hobby IMHO. Everyone just needs to be careful with it and make sure it doesn't get into any lakes or rivers!

Blake

Harriett
06-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, geez! Turns out I am a criminal, who knew! Anyhow, thanks to Walter and Larry for the information, and to those who 'might have' recieved such a noxious plant in the mail recently, please don't turn it loose in the water supply system! Other than that, a great aquarium plant, particularly the sunset, my fave of the hygros.
Best regards,
Harriett

Apistomaster
06-02-2009, 12:39 AM
I for one, don't want to see it lost from the hobby and support an underground trade..
The escaped form is the normal type but most of these laws are of no use once the plants become established.
The sad part is that instances like these are creating support for misguided laws like HR 669.
There are so many more serious matters to deal with than strangling the aquarium business.

Harriett
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Ditto that, Larry

GrillMaster
06-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I stand corrected Walter. Thanks for pointing that out. I said I might have been wrong. :)

Well, geez! Turns out I am a criminal

Me too!! Well I use to be... ;) :D :D

Wahter
06-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Shhhh..... we know nothing about this at all! :)

Walter

pcsb23
06-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Don't worry guys, no one will know ;)

As for the "noxious weed" in the UK we usually use that to refer to something we smoke :bandana:

But this particular one should be safe to the hobby at least here as it is not on any banned list (yet!).

asiong
08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Yet . . . the magic word. ;P