PDA

View Full Version : new discus

Totoro
05-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi guys,

I've recently started a discus tank.:p I've had them for around 3 months.
Just want to share and get some advices.
Because i'm just a beginner, are there too many things in the tank or anything i'm doing wrong?

Thanks~

mmorris
05-28-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm assuming you just want to know if the tank is too crowded. It would help if you gave us more information. How big is the tank? Are these all adults? What is your water change regime?

Eddie
05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Nice tank and fish. I like the yellow one alot. They seem happy and healthy in your care. ;)

As Marth mentioned, hard to say if it is overcrowded without knowing all the details.

Take care,

Eddie

Totoro
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
my tank is 3 by 1 by 2.
I change around 20% of water twice a week.

mmorris
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Nine discus in a 44 gallon, planted tank with tank mates is, IMO, seriously overcrowded. They'll probably do better in the long run in a 100 gallon tank doing 50 percent wc every few days. It's a pretty tank and a nice mix of colors though.

poconogal
05-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Nice tank and Discus. I have the exact same tank, a 45 gal., but I don't use it anymore. Sort of gives a panoramic view of things, but for the amount of Discus you have, its way too small. Your WCs are also too small and you'll run into problems down the line. For the amount of Discus you have you need at the very minimum a 75 gal. A 100 gal. would be better and I'd up the WCs too, to at least 50%, twice a week.

Totoro
05-30-2009, 03:19 AM
thanks guys!!

would discus go fine in an arowana tank? :confused:
the water conditions are suitable for discus but i'm worried it would stress my discus out..

the arowana was bought up with other fishes so it shouldn't do harm to the discus..

I'm planning to put 2 discus in there for the time being while i find a bigger tank..

poconogal
05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I know there are people who do keep an Arowana with Discus, but personally, I wouldn't. Aside from possible stress to the Discus, with a large Arowana and your Discus load, now you're talking a much larger tank than that 100 gal. that was mentioned. What size tank is the Arowana in now? Besides, I kind of feel that your beautiful Discus should be the focal point of any Discus tank, JMO. BTW, I really love that yellow!

mmorris
05-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Also, what temp. have you been keeping the arowana at?

Darrell Ward
05-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree. Too many in it. I'm not bashing anyone, but I'll bet if you stirred up that tank, all kinds of debris would float up with those plants in there. Not the ideal discus environment IMO. Been there, and done the whole planted discus tank thing. For the health of my expensive discus, I'll never do it again.

DiscusKeeper403
05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree. Too many in it. I'm not bashing anyone, but I'll bet if you stirred up that tank, all kinds of debris would float up with those plants in there. Not the ideal discus environment IMO. Been there, and done the whole planted discus tank thing. For the health of my expensive discus, I'll never do it again.

I did the gravel too, and I couldn't agree more! No more gravel for me, even for adult fish!

hedut
05-30-2009, 08:41 PM
I do the same like Eddie, love the yellow too. It's better unplanted tank if urgent for small tank.

hendri

Totoro
05-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Discus tank:
28 degrees
PH 6.9
3 foot tank

Arowana tank:
28 degrees
PH 6.
5 foot tank

I placed 2 discus in the arowana tank today. I've been observing it the whole day today. They seem to be fine.. exploring the new environment swimming around the tank.

Will a 4 by 2 by 2 tank be suitable for all the discus i have at the moment?
I heard a cylinder tank is better?

I was thinking with the plants in the tank will help keep the nitrate level low.
I'll decide later when I save up to buy a new tank.

Darrell Ward
05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes, you can keep better water quality in the larger tank.

poconogal
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
....Will a 4 by 2 by 2 tank be suitable for all the discus i have at the moment?
I heard a cylinder tank is better?

I was thinking with the plants in the tank will help keep the nitrate level low.
I'll decide later when I save up to buy a new tank.
4x2x2 - Is that a 120 gal. tank? If it is, or if its larger, it would be wonderful for the Discus you have now. How large are your current Discus? Planted tanks are fine with adults, but if you are growing out juvies, I'd skip plants and even substrate until they are at least sub-adult.

Totoro
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
4x2x2 - Is that a 120 gal. tank? If it is, or if its larger, it would be wonderful for the Discus you have now. How large are your current Discus? Planted tanks are fine with adults, but if you are growing out juvies, I'd skip plants and even substrate until they are at least sub-adult.

My discus ranges from 6 - 12cm.
I've just got a new tank. It's 4x1.5x2
Just got to cycle the water for a while more.
Later I will put all 7 discus in there.. will the tank still be crowded?
I was wondering.. why is is best to remove plants until they are at least adults?
I've also got driftwood in there.. is it ok for them at this age?
I'll just leave them with rumming nose in there.. hehe they are really nice fishes~~

thanks soo much :p