PDA

View Full Version : fishless cycle...

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I started it April 27...

one is a 20 gallon...one is a 29 gallon

I THOUGHT my testing kit was for NITRITES but...it was for NITRATES...

What a screw up...

The nitrite levels are in both tanks at a dangerous area...

I am using RO water...

There is no amonia showing up in either tank however in the 20 the nitrate is at 10 ph 7.6

The 29 as well has a dangerous area as well in the nitrite area however...5 days ago the nitrates shot up to over a 100+

I did add something to lower the ph yesterday...my concern is how do I lower the nitrite levels as well as the 100+ nitrate level in the 29...

Anyones ideas would be appreciated...I need tank space bad as I have 2 55`s comming within the next month as well as the possibility of buying a 125 at an auction...

Thanks alot..and ya, I am embarrased about buying a nitrate kit instead of nitrite...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr

D

Eddie
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey D, unless you have nitrates coming from your water supply, everything is legit. Nitrates are the end product of nitrification. Are you saying you have both nitrites and nitrates? :o

Eddie

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey D, unless you have nitrates coming from your water supply, everything is legit. Nitrates are the end product of nitrification. Are you saying you have both nitrites and nitrates? :o

Eddie

Thanks for replying Eddie...

Yes I have both but in the 29 gallon the nitrate is above 100

In the 20 gallon nitrate is 10...

Both tanks show the nitrites being beyoud the danger zones...

So if its ligit should I still add 1/2 the amonia I was adding every 2 days?

And....in time the nitrates and nitrites will go down?

I used only RO water...

Thanks for your input

D

Don Trinko
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Some test kits will show high nitrates if you have nitrites. I had this in a salt water tank; My nitrates kept going up to over 100. Once the nitrites went to zero my nitrates tested 10. My recolection is that this happened with a Seachem combined nitrite/nitrate test kit.
Since you are doing a fish less cycle I would continue untill the nitrites read Zero and then test the nitrates again.
As mentioned above testing your tap water is also a good idea. Fertilizer sometimes gets into the water supply and will test as nitrates. Don T.

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Some test kits will show high nitrates if you have nitrites. I had this in a salt water tank; My nitrates kept going up to over 100. Once the nitrites went to zero my nitrates tested 10. My recolection is that this happened with a Seachem combined nitrite/nitrate test kit.
Since you are doing a fish less cycle I would continue untill the nitrites read Zero and then test the nitrates again.
As mentioned above testing your tap water is also a good idea. Fertilizer sometimes gets into the water supply and will test as nitrates. Don T.

Thanks Don...
Nothing from my tap water has went into the tank...I will just continue on for...awhile.

alpine
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Why are you using " RO " water ? Just curious .

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=alpine;539521]Why are you using " RO " water ? Just curious .

Thats what I was using at the time with alot of my tanks....1/2 n 1/2

This was going to be a sterile set up so thats what I used...

Roxanne
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I started it April 27...

one is a 20 gallon...one is a 29 gallon

I THOUGHT my testing kit was for NITRITES but...it was for NITRATES...

What a screw up...

The nitrite levels are in both tanks at a dangerous area...

I am using RO water...

There is no amonia showing up in either tank however in the 20 the nitrate is at 10 ph 7.6

The 29 as well has a dangerous area as well in the nitrite area however...5 days ago the nitrates shot up to over a 100+

I did add something to lower the ph yesterday...my concern is how do I lower the nitrite levels as well as the 100+ nitrate level in the 29...

Anyones ideas would be appreciated...I need tank space bad as I have 2 55`s comming within the next month as well as the possibility of buying a 125 at an auction...

Thanks alot..and ya, I am embarrased about buying a nitrate kit instead of nitrite...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr

D

Doesn't matter D...reading either will tell you where the cycle is at, if you got trates, you got trites;)....and why do you want to lower the levels? There's no fish in it so it isn't a problem and is actually what you want...try to get the ph down from 7.6 to around 7-7.2...when your trites start to go down, it won't take long to finish, when your levels are 0, add the ammonia again and in 24 hours if ammonia has gone to zero you are done..

Roxanne

while I am here, what do others use to lower the ph of RO?

texasdiscusman
05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Nothing R.O should be close 7.0 P.H. why do you want to lower P.H.

Roxanne
05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi:)

Both Daniels tap and his RO water are at a ph of 8, and he is finishing a fishless cycle. I advised to lower the ph to speed up his conversions, therefore the cycle, then he can have it back at 8 if he likes after finishing the cycle;)... I wanted him to check what others use to lower RO water ph just in case there was something I was forgetting cos I don't use RO myself.

Roxanne

texasdiscusman
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
D what temp is your tank

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Doesn't matter D...reading either will tell you where the cycle is at, if you got trates, you got trites;)....and why do you want to lower the levels? There's no fish in it so it isn't a problem and is actually what you want...try to get the ph down from 7.6 to around 7-7.2...when your trites start to go down, it won't take long to finish, when your levels are 0, add the ammonia again and in 24 hours if ammonia has gone to zero you are done..

Roxanne

while I am here, what do others use to lower the ph of RO?

Here she comes to save the day....oh...thats superman!

So its ok...thats good...but....are you saying dont add anymore ammonia???

Thx Rox...

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
D what temp is your tank

90...been at 90 the wholle time...

I am just getting antsy...I was wanting to get a few more discus started in them next week...:D

Oh well....look at the money I will abe if I cant LOL

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Nothing R.O should be close 7.0 P.H. why do you want to lower P.H.

I dont want it lower than 7...its reading on the high end of 7 now...just taking peoples ideas and applying them...

I know VERY little about keeping discus BUT the ones I bout Jan 31st are stll alive as are all the others:bandana:

texasdiscusman
05-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Temp is good higher would be better but good.Just don't mess with the water to much.This is when problems begin with keeping discus.Not sure how your P.H. is the same coming out of a R.O. system should be lower it should be stripping more out of the water.Follow Ryans thread down at U of F they add nothing to there water not even dechlor's straight tap water over carbon.We would all be better off if we keep it simple.After all in a way we are trying to play god a little bit.By tacking these fish and putting them in little cages.And expecting them to be totally happy and live a good life.

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Temp is good higher would be better but good.Just don't mess with the water to much.This is when problems begin with keeping discus.Not sure how your P.H. is the same coming out of a R.O. system should be lower it should be stripping more out of the water.Follow Ryans thread down at U of F they add nothing to there water not even dechlor's straight tap water over carbon.We would all be better off if we keep it simple.After all in a way we are trying to play god a little bit.By tacking these fish and putting them in little cages.And expecting them to be totally happy and live a good life.

Well I can crank the heat up more if its needed...nitrates went from 100+ miday to 5 tonight...

Oh well...I will probably end up doing this with all tanks in the future...

I dont put my hands in it...if I have I had gloves on...

Thx for the help!

D

silent_thunder
05-29-2009, 10:20 PM

I dont see in U of F on this site...whats it stand for...thx

Roxanne
05-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi D

Leave the temp, it's fine where it is. If your nitrates are coming down since I said for you to buffer down, which is what it sounds like, test all your levels, when 0, then add more ammonia up to 4-5ppm and if it's gone in 24, you're finished, so will have to feed it daily ammonia then to keep it ready for your new arrivals. 100% wc and drop and plop;)

Roxanne

U of F is University of Florida....how do I know that?

silent_thunder
05-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi D

Leave the temp, it's fine where it is. If your nitrates are coming down since I said for you to buffer down, which is what it sounds like, test all your levels, when 0, then add more ammonia up to 4-5ppm and if it's gone in 24, you're finished, so will have to feed it daily ammonia then to keep it ready for your new arrivals. 100% wc and drop and plop;)

Roxanne

U of F is University of Florida....how do I know that?

That was my first thought as well...Florida U...whom happen to suck at football etc,,,

back to the topic..

I will have a test kit thursday...I am not buying those goofy little stix..I will get a good test kit....who knows maybe I can drain the darn tanks friday :)

Thanks for your help....even comming from a lady <ducks>