PDA

View Full Version : Left my frozen Hikari food out all day...

callen
05-30-2009, 03:04 AM
Should I throw it away?
Or will it refreeze without a problem?

I'm worried about bacteria, rotting, etc., but the little cubes are each individually sealed. Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. I just don't want to take any chances with my discus.

Thanks to all you Discus Gurus out there for all the great advice!

Dutch dude
05-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Pleas through it away and never use refrozen foods for any fish or human.

Roxanne
05-30-2009, 03:56 AM
I agree....but what about people refreezing food after adding medication to it? I always wonder if they should be doing that..

brewmaster15
05-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Rox,
If you thaw something out in the refrigerator..its usually okay to refreeze... though there may be some nutritional loss... but if you leave something out at room temp... its not okay...too much chance of problems...

-al

Elite Aquaria
05-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Agree with the post above you will need to trash that food...:(

poconogal
05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Throw it out. Just recently there was someone who had a power outage and his food thawed. He fed to the fish anyway and 16 of them bloated up. He had to treat them all first with epsom salt and when that did not help, with antibiotics. At last count there were 11 that recovered but 5 that were still all swollen. He may have lost those 5, since nothing was helping them.

KDodds
05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Throw it away. I had some major tank wipeouts. At the time our 180 was a butterflyfish tank and the 450 contained mostly marine angels. Unknowingly (at the time) I had purchased frozen food from a different than usual pet shop to save myself the trip. After much hair pulling and teeth gnashing, I discovered that it was the food that was causing the problems (deaths). When I did go back to this store I asked if anything was different about their frozen foods, different supplier, anything like that. Welp, they confirmed that their freezer died over the weekend and "nobody noticed" until Monday (they are open on the weekends, but the owner manager is sometimes not there) a few weeks back, which would have coincided with my purchase of foods. So, I asked, "What did you do with the food?" And the response, "Nothing, why? It's just for fish and snakes." Ugh. We lost a couple of thousand in livestock over "It's just for fish". :mad:

callen
05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Thank you all for the great information.

I refroze the food, but did not feed it to anyone. Will now throw it out.

This is a great board! Thanks again!

discusjoe27
06-01-2009, 05:35 AM
:angry: ax-a-dent-lee left my blood worms out, and yeah throw it out,and
I will be throwing mine out. I need to go count my pennies and hopefully I have enough for a small pack till I can stock up on the flat packs.

big mike 13
06-03-2009, 11:52 PM
my mom was near the LFS so i had her pick up 2 packs of mysis shrimp for me.. she didnt get home till 2 hours later... 55 degrees here in the car for 2 hours... should i just dump the food? im not sure if it all thawed out or not..