PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions i have had trouble getting defenitive answers for

H&K.45
05-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Hi, im new to SD i am tenatively planning a 55 or 75 (depending on space limitations) discus tank, im not new to the aquarium hobby but i have never owned discus, and i really want to. So im doing as much reading and brain picking as i can befor i jump into it. My question is, are their any behavioral or special diffrences between keeping WC discus vs. domesticated ones, in reguards to tank mates, water chem sensativity, space needed, health problems, lifespan. Or are both WC and domesticated the same except for growth rate. Also i have read a lot on useing certian ammounts of peat in storage water, and some of my other readings advise against it, dose anyone do this? is it good/bad/personal preff? Thanks for your time and any insight will be greatly appreciated :D

William Palumbo
05-30-2009, 08:02 AM
I treat my wild Discus like any other Discus I own. In fact, the wilds seem to be more out-going than a lot of my domestics, and will usually be the first ones to eat from my hand. Assuming you aquire HEALTHY wild Discus. I only alter my water chemestry(RO) for my breeding wilds, and that includes the addition of peat. If just being kept in a display tank, peat is not needed...in fact most do not like the way it darkens and stains the water. Keeping wilds for display or growout, most tap-water is fine. To breed them is something different all together, where more than likely your water will need to be altered and the use of peat becomes beneficial...Bill

Elite Aquaria
05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
H&K.45,

Welcome to Simply Discus...I have never had Wild Discus but I have been keeping Domesticated Discus for quite some time now. I would not worry about Peat for Domesticated discus. Tap water will do just fine for grow outs. Depending on your water parameters will determine if you need to alter your water for breeding. I would also go with the 75 gallon tank...I do not like 55 gallon tanks because they are to narrow for my taste. I would either do a 40 breeder (48 Gallons) or the 75.

bs6749
05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I second the notion that a 55g tank is too narrow for a group of 5-6 discus, at least too narrow to house adults. For growing out juvies a 55g is fine in my experience, but a 75g tank is MUCH better as it provides roughly half a foot more in depth and turning room and that can make a huge difference. I have domestics and my water has a pH of 7.8-8.0 and my GH is 300ppm or more. Domestics are rather tolerable of a wide range of conditions.

GrillMaster
05-30-2009, 08:49 PM
IME...Wilds are very tolerable to a wide range of conditions as long as the conditions are consistant. I know I have put them thru various conditions. Some not to favorable, and they are doing just fine. I got my WG's as adults though. The juvies I have gotten dont seem to like my current conditions at all but the wild adults have no problems.

H&K.45
05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
thanks guys, while i think domestic fishe are quite impressive in their own right, since the WC fish seem to not need any extra specail treatment i think i will stick with the natural beauty of a some WG's, and thankfully the space i was wanting to put the tank is just big enuff (with a few inches on either end) to spare for a 75, im so stoked :D

GrillMaster
05-31-2009, 12:37 AM
I think you will be quite happy with the WG's in the 75G. Where are ya gonna get em from if ya dont mind me askin. :)

discusjoe27
06-01-2009, 05:30 AM
even though I don't have them in my tank, my wild greens came in to the warehouse and they are holding for me.(come on check in the mail, where are you) I got to see them and they seem alot more active and have more personally then my domistic discus.

if you are looking for a good place to get discus, hit up the sponser part and talk to daniel at gulf coast discus. he is in stafford tx, right next to austin.
river city aquantic is even in austin and I heard good things about them.