PDA

View Full Version : pH help!

ShaCari
05-31-2009, 01:35 AM
My tap water is 6.0 ph and stays pretty low. (I understand if you let it sit your water will change) I have a smaller 20 gal and the pH is 6.0.
Started a new tank which there are no fish in yet, just some plants. The substrate is Fluorite which is said not to change the pH and I also have a piece of driftwood in there which I pre-soaked but is still leaking some tannins because I like the effect and it is supposed to soften water as well.
I checked the pH today and it is 7.5
...why?:confused:

Eddie
05-31-2009, 01:46 AM
My tap water is 6.0 ph and stays pretty low. (I understand if you let it sit your water will change) I have a smaller 20 gal and the pH is 6.0.
Started a new tank which there are no fish in yet, just some plants. The substrate is Fluorite which is said not to change the pH and I also have a piece of driftwood in there which I pre-soaked but is still leaking some tannins because I like the effect and it is supposed to soften water as well.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/general/ph.shtml

mmorris
05-31-2009, 08:58 AM

You have two tanks, a 20 gal. and a ...whatever. Are you saying that your aged, aerated water remains at 6 in your 20 gal, but it's only in the second tank that the ph has jumped?

ShaCari
05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
You have two tanks, a 20 gal. and a ...whatever. Are you saying that your aged, aerated water remains at 6 in your 20 gal, but it's only in the second tank that the ph has jumped?

yes

mikesmac
05-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi ShaCari,

If your 20 gallon is a well established tank it probably has enough organics (waste) in it to maintain the low PH even when certain percentage water changes are done. In a freshly set up tank there will not be any decaying organics so the PH will not be affected the same and will stay closer to what the parameters are coming from the tap at ....after aging.

Mike

ShaCari
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi ShaCari,

If your 20 gallon is a well established tank it probably has enough organics (waste) in it to maintain the low PH even when certain percentage water changes are done. In a freshly set up tank there will not be any decaying organics so the PH will not be affected the same and will stay closer to what the parameters are coming from the tap at ....after aging.

Mike
Okay that makes sense. Thank you :)
So after cycling and everything it should be fine you think?