PDA

View Full Version : hydro sponge filter

utiliy
05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
a few questions about these...
is it possible to silicone a few small rocks at the bottom in the connector to keep the sponge from floating?
and with the lift tubes-do u folks use them or not? and what is the purpose for the lift tubes?

Elite Aquaria
05-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Just squeeze the sponge until all the air bubbles disappear. I do not use the lift tubes on all my tanks...I do not notice a difference.

utiliy
05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
i do squeeze the sponge filters-i have always had a problem with them floating after i clean the tank. i sometimes clean the tank before work-and before i hop out the door-there floating...
as for the lift tubes-i use them on a few of the filters-and im just curious why they come with them. i have 2 hydro 5's for years and i never bothered with the lift tubes...but the new ones i have-which are the ones that float most of the time after a w/c i put the tubes on.

Eddie
05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Just wait a few days, they will sink if you have already squeezed them underwater.

I do not use the lift tubes either and my filters work like CHAMPS. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Lift tubes work on the property of air lifts. As air rises within the tube, the water in between each bubble will rise with the bubbles....a constant stream of bubbles will create a decent amount of flow through the lift tube. Being the lift tube is designed to be placed above the sponge filter, it acts like a little pump....the water is pulled through the sponge filter as the water rises out of the lift tube, creating flow through the filter.

-Ryan

utiliy
06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
well-enough of the floating hydro's. im thinking of using a piece of schedule 40 pvc as a base-and silicone them on the base of the hydros.
ive tried everything...and they still float after a w/c!
any suggestions?

Eddie
06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
well-enough of the floating hydro's. im thinking of using a piece of schedule 40 pvc as a base-and silicone them on the base of the hydros.
ive tried everything...and they still float after a w/c!
any suggestions?

Nope, you may have too much gas in your water and it may just be working against you. Never ever had a problem with it after 1 week.

Eddie

Disgirl
06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Ryan, thanks for the explanation of the lift tubes on sponge filters. I always wondered about what they actually did. Now I know...
Barbara :)

utiliy
06-11-2009, 01:54 AM
well-didnt find a heavy enough pvc for the base of the sponge-so i got a marble threshhold for a door-cut it in 3-4 inch squares and siliconed them to the base...it kind of looks like a piece of marble from a trophy base...took out at least 90% of water in the 75g-and the filters dont float afterwards...
i figured marble is safe for aquaruims...??