PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Bulb Selection

Consigliere
05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I have ordered my light fixtures for a planted discus tank that I will be putting together in the near future and have to select my bulbs before tomorrow. Was looking for some advice on what to get. I have 3 T5HO 60" fixtures with 2 bulbs each and was planning on getting Giesmann PowerChrome bulbs of the following kinds:

1) 1 AquaBlue + 60/40 6000K:22000K
2) 3 Midday 6000K
3) 2 Aquaflora

Is there any advantage to having the blue spectrums in the tank or should I just replace with another midday or aquaflora? I was thinking it would really set of some of the blue discus I am planning on stocking but I really have no idea. I could replace any with Pure Actinic or Actinic+ bulbs.

Any thoughts on this combination or suggestions?

Also, I will be having moonlighting which I will achieve with a DIY blue LED setup if this is relevant.

Ed13
05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
There is an advantage, but you already have the Aqua Flora and the midday which both have a high peak in blue but balanced with a red and green/yellow peak and the Aqua flora in the red. So the question is how blue do you want to run the tank while still not washing out other colors, especially reds

The Aquablue + is very heavy in the blue with some green a 11,000k looking bulb. So if you are not going showcase much red plants or fish then the Aquablue + is the right bulb for your needs. IMHO. However, if red animals or plants will be used Then I'd go for another Aqua Flora or another midday.

I wouldn't run the Actinis

Of course this is all my personal opinnion and the reality is no one can really tell how it's gonna look on your tank because all tanks and goals to them are different

My $.02;)
HTH

discusjoe27
06-01-2009, 05:49 AM
sorry to high jack, but I basicly have the same question. what type of bulbs and how many watts would I need for wild green discus. currently I have 128 watts of natural light or cool white ge bulbs on my 135. I'm using shop lights.
because when I bought the tank the lights didn't work(didn't know I didn't test them till I got home, might just need new ballest).

Consigliere
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for feedback. Went with 4 80W T5HO Giessman Midday and 2 80W Giessman Aquaflora. Currently have 1 of each over a 70gal and like it quite a bit. Will post some pics soon if I can get the water cleared up.