PDA

View Full Version : My Other Hobby

MarkPulawski
06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Almost 20 years ago I went by Jack Wattley's house to buy some discus, he showed me his hobby....poisen arrow frogs. Well over the next year I dryed up about 10 fish tanks and turned them into terrariums, my hobby grew and Jack and I even went to Colombia a couple of times to "explore" frog habitat in the rain forest. My collection grew into about 50 animals at the Cincinnati Zoo on breeding loan and 30 or so tanks at my house, I also imported several hundred dart frogs from Germany during the late 90's. I moved to Florida about 10 years ago and have only kept about 5 tanks of frogs at a time since (dart frogs are much like discus, it is near impossible to keep only 1 tank). Here is a photo of a nice pair I am currently working with...

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/markpulawski/Picture471.jpg

poconogal
06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Those are beautiful frogs. How big are they, they look small. I was surprised to find out how many frogs there actually are. Are all the dart frogs poisonous? Lethal to humans? I just returned from Florida, where I saw the cutest little frog on our doorstep. Never saw one like it, it was tiny and had the cutest, big eyes. Does Florida have poisonous ones too?

brewmaster15
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Mark,
Thats a great Hobby! I have a fellow out here in CT that buys alot of used tanks from me to convert them to tanks for Dart frogs...I've toyed with the idea myself....They are an incredibly beautiful critter!

thanks for sharing!

-al

MarkPulawski
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Those are beautiful frogs. How big are they, they look small. I was surprised to find out how many frogs there actually are. Are all the dart frogs poisonous? Lethal to humans? I just returned from Florida, where I saw the cutest little frog on our doorstep. Never saw one like it, it was tiny and had the cutest, big eyes. Does Florida have poisonous ones too?

No poisen frogs here in Florida but most frogs are very toxic anyway (think wet humid warm environ and you better be toxic to kill the bacteria), the cane toad here is very toxic but not at all pretty. Most frogs in the hobby are around 2" max and there is a big group called thumbnails that as adults could literally sit on your thumbnail. Most are brightly colored (which is nature saying i'm poisen don't eat me) and diurnal, which makes them popular terrarium subjects. Interesting behaviour and beautiful animals which very much parallel's discus...but in the frog hobby creating new color variety's by breeding different types is a HUGE no no....so that's where these 2 glass box subjects differ. I would throw a few more pics up but my camera is terrible at close ups, for those interssted you can check out Dendroboard.com and find some great pictures.

Roxanne
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
...how sweet:)they look like they are wearing leg warmers...I'm glad hobbyists keep these kind of critters so we will always have them, hopefully, regardless of habitat destruction, polution etc...

I love the little green tree frogs also...

Nice of you to share....

Roxanne

kaceyo
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Sounds like it could be very interesting. Before I got my discus this last time I was considering setting up a paladarium. It would have to be a blast to put together and stock one, or two...or ten tanks. And the "Condo Board" wouldn't be able to get in the way.:D

Kacey

Darren's Discus
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Mark,
great looking frogs,all the best with the pair.

cheers

Scribbles
06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I love poison dart frogs. Someday I hope to have some. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Discus-n00b
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I've already decided i want some darts when i get back from deployment. I've always loved them just never had a setup for them. Got to see some wild down in Costa Rica and loved them ever since.

Ed13
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I've always loved the look of dendrobates, too bad they are illegal here:( Otherwise...

This is PR version but it's not poisonous nor colorful, it is tiny though(some as big as thumbnail as aults) an very loud at night;)(but are endangered and today a rare appearance occasionally) As a kid I remember collecting them and setting small paludarium tanks for them, but mom hated them so they stayed for a short time only:p

calihawker
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I love dart frogs!
Is it true that the domesticated frogs are not poisonous due to their diet change in captivity?

MarkPulawski
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Yes no toxins in CB frogs, in the wild they derive their toxin by eating insects that eat plants that have toxins as a defense mechanism. When the frogs eat the bugs they synthesize the chemicals to create their own toxin, diets in captivity do no provide the elements for them to produce toxin.

thebigone
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Nice frogs! If I show this picture to my wife she will want them. We use to have about 3 tanks full of tree frogs. From your everyday emerald tree frog to a pacman frog and even the red eye tree frog. Needless to say we have a lot of frog stuff! We even had some albino swimming frogs!