PDA

View Full Version : Do different strains have different tendencies?

DocB
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Are all strains basically the same as far a aggressiveness, compatibility, disease resistance etc etc.

I am sure each fish will have its personality but is it common knowledge that, for random examples, marlboro reds are bullies or golden albino easily contract disease, or blue diamonds are very reclusive or ......

Don Trinko
06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
All that follows is IMO; I think that individual fish can be shy,aggressive ect, but I do not think any particular strain can be counted on for any of these characteristics.
Some people say that the brown varieties are more agressive. I have 3 alecers in a 75 with 4 White scorpions and one Pigeon blood red. The one is the most aggressive in the tank and one is the least aggressive.
Lighting,the close you wear, (they do not like dark closes) and height of the tank can effect how shy they are.
Usaualy new fish are shy but loose this shyness as they becone acustomed to you and their suroundings. Don T.

DocB
06-02-2009, 05:45 PM
So I should just pick em cuz they look purty (per the "discus university" thread nearby.

mmorris
06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
You might think about whether you will want to raise some little ones in the future. If so, I recommend getting the same strain.

poconogal
06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
One thing I've noticed is that Pigeon Bloods seem to be more cautious, less friendly than other strains. Don't know if that's the norm, others have commented with the same observation at times, but even after several years, I have PBs that will still look at me warily and are slower to approach me than the others. I've never beaten them, so there's no reason for this caution. ;)

The only other thing I can think of is that Blue Diamonds seem to make the biggest poos! For some reason, when you talk to people who have BDs, that's the one thing that seems to stand out. Mine did gigantic poos, it was hard to believe they came out of her! I've never had another Discus come close to producing poos like the BD. :D

Eddie
06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
One thing I've noticed is that Pigeon Bloods seem to be more cautious, less friendly than other strains. Don't know if that's the norm, others have commented with the same observation at times, but even after several years, I have a PB that will still look at me warily and is slower to approach me than the others. I've never beaten her, so there's no reason for this caution. ;)

The only other thing I can think of is that Blue Diamonds seem to make the biggest poos! For some reason, when you talk to people who have BDs, that's the one thing that seems to stand out. Mine did gigantic poos, it was hard to believe they came out of her! I've never had another Discus come close to producing poos like the BD. :D

Yup, I have to say the same about the BD, massive poos.

IME, which is limited, BDs have always been aggressive for me. Whether small in size or not, they were the fighters.

Eddie

poconogal
06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
....IME, which is limited, BDs have always been aggressive for me. Whether small in size or not, they were the fighters.

Eddie
Yep, I forgot about that. My BD was extremely aggressive too, as a sub-adult. I was even advised to make fish food out of her, by other forum members and a breeder too! She was a horror! But when she paired up with my Eruption, she calmed down a lot and as an adult actually became pretty peaceful.

mmorris
06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
My blue diamonds and blue sapphires (very similar, including the poos!) have all been pussycats. The only aggression I ever saw in the lot of them was when my blue sapphire was attempting to spawn. I haven't had pigeon bloods. I don't want to have to deal with the peppering, either in the ones I buy or in their decendants.

Roxanne
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
....Blue Diamonds....yes, I agree big poopers...and mean and bossy bullys most of them...mine spent a fair amount of time in the naughty net when he was younger to give his tank mates a break...in the end, he always came out fighting...he won't dare picking on my big Golds, but will have a go at anyone else around his size...

My Golds and Royal Blue's have a beautiful nature.....turqs seem to be pretty resiliant and hardy IME...and I think red melons are confident...My SS is rather dominant...could be just the nature of each fish to a certain degree as already stated above, but I do think BD's are the most aggro....

and juvies of any kind, are just gorgous to watch grow up...

Enjoy & Good Luck whichever you choose...:)

Roxanne

Roxanne
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
My blue diamonds and blue sapphires (very similar, including the poos!) have all been pussycats. The only aggression I ever saw in the lot of them was when my blue sapphire was attempting to spawn....

Hi Martha:)

were your blues in a tank of their own together? Maybe they are less aggressive if kept with their own kind? ....I'm guessing but curious to know if that makes a difference...

Rox

mmorris
06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
No, I've always had at least one blue diamond, and now blue sapphires, in with a mix of varieties. I remember only one terror and that was a male turq. It took him a few days to get everyone sorted and then that was that. nhb gv f ;llllllllllcv bnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

My cat's been dying to type in this post so I gave up and let her. :D

pcsb23
06-03-2009, 06:24 PM
... nhb gv f ;llllllllllcv bnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

My cat's been dying to type in this post so I gave up and let her. :Dand there I was trying to work out what the acronym was!!:crazy:

I have generally found that albinos tend to be feisty and wilds are the sturdiest.

ShinShin
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Pigeonbloods do tend to be less delicate than other strains. Blue Angels and other fine scaled varieties tend to more fragile. Albino discus, as any other albino animal, tend to be less resistant. Perhaps with more lines being bred, the strongest will pass on their traits.

Mat

Scribbles
06-04-2009, 12:17 AM
My Marlboro Reds have always been the dominant fish in the tank but this could just be a coincidence.

Chris

Daniella
06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I have bought 3 white butterfly from the same breeder/importer and those come from the same place, but on different shipment. They totaly lack character and are too easily put off by other discus, even smaller ones. They end up hiding in a corner and get very little food. I had to remove them and put them alone.

all 3 white butterfly that I bought from that place are the same. so yes I do beleive that some strain or at least some brood of fish are less aggressive than others. when I got them, I was trying to spot some more aggressive but could not. They all looked very peacefull and they still act like that after acclimatation. Best way is to look at the fish behavior with others before you buy them. It is best to buy an aggressive (fighter) fish when introducing new discus than a scared discus as any new introduction is going to get very much bullied. Adult discus are much less aggressive and persistant in their aggression than young discus. I guess it is like cats and dogs..pups and kittens always fight, and this stop at adult age.

As for disease resistance, I think they are pretty much similar juging from a recent disease that I had and all of them survived. They are mixed strains.

Albinos easily contract disease?? During the diseasse in my fish, my albinos did not get sick.

Are all strains basically the same as far a aggressiveness, compatibility, disease resistance etc etc.

I am sure each fish will have its personality but is it common knowledge that, for random examples, marlboro reds are bullies or golden albino easily contract disease, or blue diamonds are very reclusive or ......

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-18-2009, 03:41 AM
I believe in good stock makes good fish. In the many years of Discus keeping I have found, all types & strains 'Yes' have their own personalities & wants/needs. With strains I have seen melons aggression lead to worst case senarious(even taken to the owner...ouch!). Browns have a mod-agro & like taking control although not as really rough as the melons. Blues, Yes for some reason seem to have big poos, although melow when with groups. Reds/pigeons are a little shy although do get used to things. Over all, the pecking order when achieved you don't necessarily have many probs, unless 1 gets out of line. The fisciest fishes are best kept together as they tend to keep each other at bay!

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Daniella
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Interesting. My melon is a peacefull lad. It's my tiger pigeon blood that is the real tiger. All my pigeon blood are quite aggressive.

I believe in good stock makes good fish. In the many years of Discus keeping I have found, all types & strains 'Yes' have their own personalities & wants/needs. With strains I have seen melons aggression lead to worst case senarious(even taken to the owner...ouch!). Browns have a mod-agro & like taking control although not as really rough as the melons. Blues, Yes for some reason seem to have big poos, although melow when with groups. Reds/pigeons are a little shy although do get used to things. Over all, the pecking order when achieved you don't necessarily have many probs, unless 1 gets out of line. The fisciest fishes are best kept together as they tend to keep each other at bay!

Regards
Ahmed ;)