PDA

View Full Version : What a story

Palue
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
An update on my discus:

Two years ago, I bought a single Cobalt Blue Discus, I pampered this fish as a young tiny one in my 30 gal tank for a year and a half. It grew into a beautiful huge fish, thick in the body and all. I was sure it was a male due to its size.

In March I had the opportunity to buy a 46 gal bow front complete with 4 discus. One Blue Turq (my favorite), 1 Leopard, 2 WB Pigeonbloods (quite pretty).

Before I brought the tank home the Turq and one of the WB Pigeonbloods became an item (husband and wife). After brining them home they continued to be a pair. I was very concerned about my Cobalt still thinking its a male and alot bigger than the other 4 beating up these new ones.

None of this happened much to my relief and the Cobalt continued to swim in its new tank and be very peaceful towards the new tankmates.

The pair (Turq and Pigeonblood) have been laying eggs non stop it seems but nothing develops from them. They are having fun.

Two weeks ago while away shopping for the day hubby and I came home to the little Leopard whom was the runt of the tank dead for no reason. All were healthy and eating very well, the odd chase but no torn fins etc.

I do have a bully of the tank one of the Pigeonbloods and was going to place it in a new home when I found that home for it. Now I did not have to do that but I loved that little Leopard.

So now onto the interesting part, the Cobalt Blue has been trying to get inbetween the pair. They would lay eggs and the Cobalt Blue would try and look after them. The chase was on.

Well today as I sit here and watch these crazy fish, I now know that my huge Cobalt Blue is not a male but a female. It seems that she has just moved in, taken over lovemaking with the Turq and they just layed eggs and are doing their husband and wife thing.

Now I am very confused to see this as I thought once a pair had teamed up they would be together forever??

Across the tank watching on is the other female with the other pigeonblood, I wonder what she is thinking with all this going on and to loose her husband to another female to boot.

Now I guess I will just have to watch and see what happens with these eggs. I am a bit nervous to say the least as this Cobalt had some new tiny guppy fry with it in its previous tank and did not eat a single one.

God help me if I have baby Discus with these two, I don't know what i will do with them as they are not itemized here in our town, but will watch and see what all takes place.

Anyone else have a story like this happen to them??

:angel:

Mr Wild
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh yes ! My SD name is Mr Wild after my first discus that I was told was male and he was a blue wild so hence the name.
However "he" laid eggs one night while I was sitting watching TV and his mate ate them! I am thinking girl on girl action here! Oh well nature is wonderful and sometimes strange!

calihawker
06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
:D You can't really assume ones gender based on their name but I did assume your were'nt a "Mr." Kath.:D

Eddie
06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
LOL, Discus are like Humans, all kinds of drama. Somebody should start show, "The discus of our lives". A little soap opera deal. :D

Eddie

Mr Wild
06-03-2009, 08:49 AM
:D You can't really assume ones gender based on their name but I did assume your were'nt a "Mr." Kath.:D

LOL perhaps I should change it eh?? But what else could I have? Perhaps I should start a thread - suggest a new user name???? What do you reckon?

LOL, Discus are like Humans, all kinds of drama. Somebody should start show, "The discus of our lives". A little soap opera deal. :D

Eddie

That would be great Eddie - we certainly have enough material between all of us! lol

Palue
06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes they truly are entertaining fish at times. They ate these eggs shortly after laying them, so I don't need to worry.

Now I just wait for the other female to lay her eggs again and see what happens then, they usually keep these ones for 4 days then eat them.

What a life this guy has hey, 2 females and lots of action all the time. God help him if the 4th one is a female too, he will wear himself out.

:bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

gotfish?
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
gwad, so much drama in one tank! haha :D hows it going deb?:) well atleast now your big blue has more "activity" now than "he" was before:D:D

Palue
06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Well its going how is that. I am so mad that I lost the leopard, but that is how things go I guess. The bully is not the odd man out, so will have to see how this goes. I don't know what is going to happen with this setup but I guess nature has a way of arranging this.

How are your fish doing??

;)