PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up?

Daniella
06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi,

I have 2 discus that are constantly swimming together and a few times I saw one lean its head down and sort of shake at the other. Are they pairing up?

This is not a typical couple as it is an eruption and a yellow-face red melon.

I do not wish to do breeding but I was wondering, can 2 females behave like that or only couple pairing will do this?

Chad Hughes
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I have 2 discus that are constantly swimming together and a few times I saw one lean its head down and sort of shake at the other. Are they pairing up?

This is not a typical couple as it is an eruption and a yellow-face red melon.

I do not wish to do breeding but I was wondering, can 2 females behave like that or only couple pairing will do this?

Daniella,

From your description, it sounds like you have pairing activity. Typically both of the partners will do the "dance" before eventually finding a spot to clear and eventually lay eggs.

It's not uncommon for two females to do this. The only way to really tell is by either observing their breeding tubes or by actually watching them lay eggs. If you miss the egg laying you can sometimes tell by the fact that there are hundreds of eggs and none of them are fertile. HTH!

Best wishes!

Daniella
06-04-2009, 02:51 PM
2 females pairing...that's wierd. I am not even sure of the sex of my fish.

At least one thing is sure, if they do that they must feel good and happy.

they do that mostly when I close down the light, then they start to swim together and do this until I go to sleep :)

Daniella,

From your description, it sounds like you have pairing activity. Typically both of the partners will do the "dance" before eventually finding a spot to clear and eventually lay eggs.

It's not uncommon for two females to do this. The only way to really tell is by either observing their breeding tubes or by actually watching them lay eggs. If you miss the egg laying you can sometimes tell by the fact that there are hundreds of eggs and none of them are fertile. HTH!

Best wishes!