PDA

View Full Version : Discus vs. Dried Granules/Flakes

tomcio78pol
06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
How to "force" my Discus to eat flakes and/or any kind of dried food? All they want to eat is Frozen Beefhearts or Bloodworms... Of course I plan to feed them with all kind of food available, but from time to time it would be nice to have them eat something quick and simple like dried food... :)

They just look at it and leave it for Tetras :)

Thanks for your advices!

C:\IMG_0436.JPG

seanyuki
06-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Play tough.....stave them for 3 days.....they will eat anything......I got a batch of discus and was told they never eaten flakes in their life....starting eating flakes/pellets on the fourth day.

Cheers
Francis:)

Eddie
06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Play tough.....stave them for 3 days.....they will eat anything......I got a batch of discus and was told they never eaten flakes in their life....starting eating flakes/pellets on the fourth day.

Cheers

I agree with Francis, starve them and don't feed them anything but flakes until they all take it well. Also, the quick tetras are probably taking the flake before the discus even think about if they should or shouldn't. :o

Eddie

tomcio78pol
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Cheers

I am affraid that They will eat the rest of my tetras and cardinals :)

MikeF
06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Also, it might be a good idea to feed them the flakes for their first feeding of the day. They are more hungry at this time since they did not eat through out the night.

Scribbles
06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
You can also try mixing some flake/pellets in your BH mix to get them used to it. Gradualy add less BH and more dry food. HTH

Chris

mmorris
06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Are they juvies? If so, don't starve them! Mike and Chris have good ideas.

Eddie
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
You can starve them, no worries. Juvenile fish go for several days to a week without food before being shipped and while in transport. Don't treat them like china, they will eat when they are hungry.

Eddie

Totoro
06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
I think they can starve for quite a while..
My new discus didn't eat for around 2 weeks..
I think maybe thats why my neons were gone ~
But now they are starting to eat the pallets

Is it true they can not eat for one whole month?? I forgot where i read it from ..or maybe it was just for other fishes...

ShinShin
06-05-2009, 02:22 AM
If you have a good beef heart mix, I wouldn't worry about feeding flake. You might want to try a seafood based mix.

Mat

drew22to375
06-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Man those must be some monstrous Discus to be eating Pallets. Talk about adding some roughage to their diet. :D

mmorris
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I think they can starve for quite a while..
My new discus didn't eat for around 2 weeks..
I think maybe thats why my neons were gone ~

Is it true they can not eat for one whole month?? I forgot where i read it from ..or maybe it was just for other fishes...

Yes, you can starve them for quite a while and they won't die. But I'm sure we would all like to see our juvies develop to the fullest of their potential. Juvies need to be well fed.

Peachtree Discus
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
their size can be noticeably different each week if they are fed aggressively. it may not make a super huge difference in the long run tho.

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-12-2009, 03:16 AM
If they are juvies, I wouldn't personally starve them as they require lots of feeds for growth, BH & FBW is a good source to start with. I do mix my food/feedings even when they are youngsters to get them adapted to it for later on. Adults I would starve them for 2-3days, they tend to come around pritty quickly once they go off their man food(too no food), although some may take wks.

Regards
Ahmed ;)