PDA

View Full Version : looking for a bit of advice

Wombat
06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
i have been a long time hobbist and i just recently added a few(5) 3-5 inch discus to my planted tank (55) the tank houses 4 clown loches (small still), 6 rummys, 3 cards, and 2 GBR's i have a eheim classic canister filter a fluval 405 2 HOB filters filled with noodles instead of carbon and a small sponge filter i do 25% wc every other day with ro water mixed with tap 10-1 ratio i vacum every clean as well I have never had discus before but am very aware of there care needs i am looking for some advice on what could be done better or any improvments i can do. I have read a bit on here and got some good info i think i might set up my other 55 bb and do it right with some fish form Kenny as is Bd's make the one i have look like a gold fish lol i am looking on advice to make the ones I have happist as they can be in the planted tank
here is some pics of the guys which sadly after about five minutes on this site i found out they are cr#p quality oh well there are still my buddys also can anyone tell me what the horrible peppered organge ones are?
Thanks
Bo

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/dankmaul/Picture004.jpg

Scribbles
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Welcome to SD. Basicly keep up on the water changes and feed a high protein diet several times daily. If you only have a couple of discus watch for signs of stress or bullying. Best of luck with them.

Chris

Elite Aquaria
06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Bo,

Welcome to Simply...there is a lot of great info here as well as great people.

lpiasente
06-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Bo, Unfortunatly there are some not so good discus out there. Keep trawling the internet and get familiar with how a nice discus should look so you know what to look for next time. Finding a trustworthy supplier is also a good start. :)

Wombat
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks guys i realy wished i found this site before i bought these guys but you live and learn they will be in my planted tank and i am already seting up a new tank here soon 55 bb 2 sponge filters 2 magnum hob filters (filled with noodles not carbon)few months for cycle and Kenny here i comme for some of those pandas and melons my god those melons are amazing:D

Patr1ck
06-06-2009, 05:14 AM
thanks guys i realy wished i found this site before i bought these guys but you live and learn they will be in my planted tank and i am already seting up a new tank here soon 55 bb 2 sponge filters 2 magnum hob filters (filled with noodles not carbon)few months for cycle and Kenny here i comme for some of those pandas and melons my god those melons are amazing:D

Another way to look at it is that you purchased them and then came across Simply Discus and have since learned to raise them right. Alot better than if someone who doesnt know of Simply, bought them. You could get them looking really good in that 55 gallon you just set up. Check out Eddies work on his Blue Diamonds here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69208 If you change water like Eddie does there's not much of a need to wait a few months for it to cycle. Maybe just a few days and then put them in.
Welcome to SD.:)
Pat