PDA

View Full Version : Question about lights

mugzy213
06-06-2009, 01:49 AM
I have a question about lights. Is it better to leave them on during the night or turn them off? When I have turned them off the next morning they get really scared when I turn them on.

What is the best?

I have started turning off one and keeping one on? Seems to help alittle.

Thanks

Hal

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-06-2009, 02:01 AM
hey Hal, personally I would keep them on for 12-14 hours a day (thats what I do anyway:p). Eventually they will get more and more used to the lighting. dont worry at all about it. its common. just stick with keeping the lights on and they will be used to it in no time!:D

discolove
06-06-2009, 03:08 AM
My day lights come on everyday at 11am and shut off at 9pm then the moonlights come on until whenever im about to fall asleep. The fish always seem a bit dazed when the lights first come on but in just a minute they are all swimming around normally like nothing happened. I try not to startle by shutting lights on and off. Like for instance if I go into the room the tank is in at night I try to do whatever im in there for without turning lights on. Its probably a good idea to turn your lights on and off everyday at the same time each day. Its not going to do any harm turning your lights off at night. Fish need rest too and some lights off time. I get a kick out of my loaches, once the moonlights come on they lay on the bottom of the tank and sleep.

Jhhnn
06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I bring up the light level in the room before I turn on the tank lights. I'm an early riser, so sometimes it's still dark when I get up. I start with a not very bright lamp across the room, turn on the overhead after a while, once they're awake and accustomed to that, I turn on the tank lights...

They still freak out a little bit on occasion...

mugzy213
06-06-2009, 02:54 PM
what are moon lights?

csarkar001
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM
many high end lighting systems now come with moonlights built in.(usually a string of LEDs). these lights allow you to extend the viewing time of your fish. you can find several standalone systems for sale on ebay under moonlight or LED lighting. sometimes they are sold in a tube allowing you to place them into the tank. i use a string of LEDs attached to my hood which sit next to the flourscent bulbs.

i really like the feature on my tank.

--chandan

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I find keeping a small desk lamp with low watt globe helps heaps, although mainly for young fish. By turning your room lights-on, for the 1st 5-10min before the tank lights, will help. Most fish(s) of any type(s) get startled when lights get slammed on straight from dark. I wouldn't worry too much for this, although just be cautious!

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Scribbles
06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
I also use blue moon lights as a night light for my discus. Turning on a lamp in the room and then an overhead light after a few minutes lets them wake up gradualy. Think about someone coming into your bedroom when you are asleep and turning on the overhead lights. You would spook too.

Chris

discusjoe27
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
what are moon lights?

lunar lights and moon lights are the same.
there kind of like a black light poster light.