PDA

View Full Version : [B]Eyes in very bad shape, helpme please!!![/B]

arnaldoyuri
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
:confused:Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

First both eyes and a few parts of the body got cloudy. I treated it with quick cure and clout. One of the eyes began to develop something small and white from inside the eyes. The other eye and body are good (not cloudy). Then, I began a treatment with TMP-Sulfa and Praziquantel but until now nothing has worked. Now, how you can see in the picture, the eye is in very bad shape. That white thing, inside the eye, has growing more and more, and the eye has pop out. I don't know what to do now. I would like the fish does not lose the eyes. I need you help.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The fish is eating a little bit because it can see only with one eye (I think). It is turning black. No wounds or white pop. It is hiding.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I tried quick cure, clout, praziquantel and TMP-Sulfa but nothing.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

120 gallons tank with fourteen discus. The discus are 8 or 9 month old and they are around 4 inches.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I change the water two or three times a week 50% each time. The tank have been running for 3 years. It is bare bottom and I age the water for 2 day before change it.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____ 85 f

- ph _____ 7.5

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

- well water ____0%

- municipal water ____100% aged for two days in a tank with a filter (unimax pro )running 24/7 to help to evaporate the chlorine and to stabilized the PH

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Yes, I added a new fish. I few days later the fish had white pop. I treated the hole tank with metro and praziquantel and everything was good.

Thank you

Arnaldo

ShinShin
06-07-2009, 05:54 PM
You have used many drugs that are totally useless for the the symptoms of your discus, although Quick Cure has its merits here. Is there any abnormal swelling in any other area of the fish, like the body cavity? Sometimes internal bacterial infections produce such a symptom. Another, rarely ever mentioned cause of eye cloudiness, is worm cataracts. I don't know if this can be cured but know it is not spreadable, nor lethal. Eye protrusion doesn't occur necessarily (or maybe never), though, and your's looks as it is. I also don't know how a fish gets it. I think it is a bacterial infection that your fish has.

Nitrofuron or kanamyacin would be my choice. Acriflavin or methylene blue ought to be used simutainiously with the antibiotic. Because it's very nontoxic, I suggest the MB.

Mat

arnaldoyuri
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you for the answer shinshin.
The fish does not have any abnormal swelling.
I was using those drugs because first, the fish began with cloudy eyes and body so I used quick cure. Then the white thin began to develop from inside the eye, little by little until now that it is in the hole eye. I was using TMP sulfa because, it is use to treat gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria that affect the eyes of the fish.
The main problem is that I don't know what kind of disease the fish has. That is the reason why I have been trying with different drugs, but nothing have worked.

Thank you again for you time, I will try those drugs.

Arnaldo

Eddie
06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Thank you for the answer shinshin.
The fish does not have any abnormal swelling.
I was using those drugs because first, the fish began with cloudy eyes and body so I used quick cure. Then the white thin began to develop from inside the eye, little by little until now that it is in the hole eye. I was using TMP sulfa because, it is use to treat gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria that affect the eyes of the fish.
The main problem is that I don't know what king of disease the fish has. That is the reason why I have been trying with different drugs, but nothing have worked.

Thank you again for you time, I will try those drugs.

Arnaldo

Arnoldo, I would complete the Triple Sulfa treatment first. Its is vital that you run a course of antibiotics once you have started it. You may try to get a hold of some Kana or Nitro for treatment in the event the TS does not help. I would also add salt to the tank at 2-3 tbsp per 10 gallons. Keep the O2 levels up as well.

All the best,

Eddie

arnaldoyuri
06-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you for your time eddie.

I will get as soon as possible nitrofurazon and also I will finish the treatment with TMP sulfa and add salt. Thanks again

Arnaldo

Eddie
06-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Thank you for your time eddie.

I will get as soon as possible nitrofurazon and also I will finish the treatment with TMP sulfa and add salt. Thanks again

Arnaldo

Anytime Arnaldo, take care and best of luck with your fish.

Eddie