PDA

View Full Version : You're killing me smalls... (egg eater)

DLock3d
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I have a pair in my tank (55G) that have set up in a nice little corner. They have been doing the baby making dance and have actually laid eggs and tried to fertilize. A third discus hangs around and pushes them away almost immediately after the eggs have been laid and makes short work of them. I've tried having a stern talk with what I'm assuming is a him but he just won't listen! I'd like to leave the pair in the tank until I see that they can successfully raise a couple guys and I don't exactly want to get rid of the other big male. Am I looking at a separator as my only option? Thoughts and advice? I know it's kind of rhetorical but maybe someone has come up with a shock collar for discus by now. :D FYI - I don't exactly have any spare tanks around to move him. I have 2 tanks 1 56 Cube and 1 55 normal with 6 fish in each tank.

Peachtree Discus
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
To solve your immediate problem - some type of separation would be appropriate. a separator to keep him away from the spawning site would do the job. still, if they go freeswimming, you're likely have the same challenge. I would look to get a smaller tank - lost of people use 29g for breeding. IMO, 55g is kinda big for a breeder

Chad Hughes
06-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I have a pair in my tank (55G) that have set up in a nice little corner. They have been doing the baby making dance and have actually laid eggs and tried to fertilize. A third discus hangs around and pushes them away almost immediately after the eggs have been laid and makes short work of them. I've tried having a stern talk with what I'm assuming is a him but he just won't listen! I'd like to leave the pair in the tank until I see that they can successfully raise a couple guys and I don't exactly want to get rid of the other big male. Am I looking at a separator as my only option? Thoughts and advice? I know it's kind of rhetorical but maybe someone has come up with a shock collar for discus by now. :D FYI - I don't exactly have any spare tanks around to move him. I have 2 tanks 1 56 Cube and 1 55 normal with 6 fish in each tank.

I have a thought.... What are you going to do with the fry if you're successful? :confused:

I know how exciting it is to see your discus spawning and eventually see fry. It's awesome. You may want to come up with a plan for the fry. Until then, you may want to let the "practice" behavior continue, egg eating and all.

Take it easy brother!

allan_mark76
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Buy a 20gallon tank, establish it, and put your pair in there. Let them have some privacy and your good to go. Oh yeah water quality is #1.

~AKA~