PDA

View Full Version : M vs M and F vs F

Tito
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I've noticed a pattern in my tank. I have two confirmed pairs. the males of each pair always fight and the females always fight. But...the oposite sexes never fight. So I'd like to know if this is a pattern or just something specific going on with my fish in particular.

Has anyone with multiple pairs in their tanks noticed this as well?

Eddie
06-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe they just want to keep their options open in the event their current relationship falls through, you know....a little rebound. LOL

Eddie

j_li8
06-08-2009, 08:28 PM
That sure is one way to think of it Eddie.

Tito
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
LOL That's funny Ed,

Well...if anybody has ever noticed this chime in. Quite posible this would be an easy way to sex an unpaired fish.

ShinShin
06-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes, this is typical behavior.

Mat

bs6749
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I've noticed that this is not just typical of discus, but also of other cichlids that I keep such as angelfish, blue rams, and apistogramma. Usually the only thing that ever happens between sets of paired males and females is the females will "back up" the males when they are confronting one another. They tend to not get involved untill the males are measuring up against one another. Females going at it is sporadic in my experience.

Tito
06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Great thanks for the response guys. Hopfully this well help someone the next time they want to make a really good estimate on what the sex of their unpaired fish may be.

It beats some of the other really wierd stuff I've heard on the internet.

The fish' behaviour in regards to who they fight tells a lot about their sexual orientation.