PDA

View Full Version : NEED GUIDANCE

rdzralph
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I’m switching my 60 gallon to an 80 gallon with new substrate, eco complete and a layer of silica sand above. Do you think there will be any adverse affect on the discus with the new change? Going to use the current filters, plants, driftwood, and as much of the old tank water. I only have an extra 10 gallon tank the 6 discus will be in during the change, so when I introduce them to the new tank I want to make sure it is safe. I really need advice on how to go about this. Should I introduce things slow, starting with bare bottom tank? Thanks.

Eddie
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I’m switching my 60 gallon to an 80 gallon with new substrate, eco complete and a layer of silica sand above. Do you think there will be any adverse affect on the discus with the new change? Going to use the current filters, plants, driftwood, and as much of the old tank water. I only have an extra 10 gallon tank the 6 discus will be in during the change, so when I introduce them to the new tank I want to make sure it is safe. I really need advice on how to go about this. Should I introduce things slow, starting with bare bottom tank? Thanks.

I would just do as you are planning. Make sure the new tanks water parameters match the old tanks or holding tanks and then plop them babies in the new one when its done.

Eddie

Scribbles
06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I'll second that. The only exeption I would make though would be to put the 6 discus in something larger than a 10 gallon tank while you make the move. Best of luck and don't forget to post pictures when you're done.

Chris

rdzralph
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds good, just need some reinsurance from some experienced hobbyist. Unfortunately, I don’t have a larger holding tank, after this I will.

Scribbles
06-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Sure you have a bigger holding tank....the bathtub. Are your discus juvies or adults?

Chris

rickztahone
06-09-2009, 02:17 AM

there is absolutely no need to move any of the old tank water. all of your beneficial bacteria is in the media in the filters. change all the water and use a water conditioner to remove chlorine.

rdzralph
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
there is absolutely no need to move any of the old tank water. all of your beneficial bacteria is in the media in the filters. change all the water and use a water conditioner to remove chlorine.

Is that right? It will make the change a lot easier.

My discus are not juvies and the bath tub as a holding tank? I don't know sounds risky:confused:

rickztahone
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Is that right? It will make the change a lot easier.

My discus are not juvies and the bath tub as a holding tank? I don't know sounds risky:confused:

yeah, there's no need to transfer water. i mean initially when you move them to the storage container it's probably better to save on water by transferring some of the water. i honestly wouldn't do the tub because you have to disinfect it really thoroughly. i would go to target or what not and get a 30g tote which are like 12 bucks. make sure you put a heater in there and an airstone.

rdzralph
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey, thanks for the good idea, I will go to target and pick up one those totes.

Scribbles
06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Ricardo, I missed the water moving issue. I agree that you should just fill the new tank with fresh dechlorinated water. No need to move water from the old tank. I have used the bathtub in the past. Just bleach thoroughly before use and remove soaps razors and such from the sides. The tote works well too, just remember that the sides will bow out when you add water.

Chris