PDA

View Full Version : Pleco & Discus

ltrinh
06-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I would like to have a Pleco or couple that can eat & clean the algae. Whic one I can get that can get along with Discus? I heard some pleco will come out at night & suck stuff from discus. Thank

rickztahone
06-09-2009, 02:12 AM
I would like to have a Pleco or couple that can eat & clean the algae. Whic one I can get that can get along with Discus? I heard some pleco will come out at night & suck stuff from discus. Thank

bushy (or bristle) nose pleco's are what most here use because they rarely suck on the discus slime. there have been a few cases where the BNP has attached to a discus though, so it's more about you being lucky and getting some that don't latch on and mind their own business.

Crstfr
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
royal pleacos don't mess with discus... or at least mine doesn't... only time is feeding time.. when they get next to him while he's feeding he'll do this power push with his tail and ram into the sides of them... only takes a few times at the beginning , until he retreats back to his log..lol

cool fish IMO...

here's a pic of one

http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/images/products/prod_221_large.jpg

chris

DonMD
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'm with Chris. I have a 90 gallon with 8 large discus, and one huge Royal pleco, I got him about 6 years ago. He does get pushy, but only with his body, he NEVER sucks on the discus. I did have other plecos who did suck on the fish, so I learned my lesson there.

-Don

Discus-Hans
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
hmmmm isn't that the L190 think that's more a wood eater????

I had them back in Holland, was always in his own corner and sometimes didn't even move for days lol

Hans

calihawker
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
My gold nugget, L18, hasn't given me any problems. Nice fish, dosen't get to big. I think a lot of times with tanks mates sometimes it's a matter of luck.:o

Scribbles
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I have had good luck with Gold Nuggets, Royals, and King Scribbled plecos not bothering discus. However my discus did kill all of the plecos. As the tank gets cleaner its a good idea to toss an algae waffer in at night so that the plecos don't get hungry and go discus hunting.

Chris

mareshow
06-10-2009, 12:56 AM
i have a L260 (queen arabesque) and a L104 (clown) with mine and they mind their own business heck i rarely see them if at all

ltrinh
06-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Thank you all!!! for suggestion.

grantbudd74
06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I bought 2 sailfin plecos at 2-3 inches to clean up my diatoms on my Anibias which they did vertualy over night. I loved them and their big dorsel fin which was full of colour. Well as they grew to around 7-8 inches they did in fact attack and kill 3 of my large adult discus!!!!

They do go for the slime coat and I do not know if feeding them on spectrum was a result due to high protein levels in this food but it is not a myth.

I lost 2 blue turqs and a red turq!

Be warned they are also very messy and the crap a LOT! I now have a 6x2x2 with 8 newbie discus in and just got 2 bristlenose and my god they crap all over the place! Not pretty but they are doing a great job of eating the new tank algie but I'll keep an eye on them an the first sign of aggression to my discus and they are out of there and back to the shop!

THey only attack at night when the Discus are sleeping so you don't notice until lights on and you se the Discus stripped of their slime coat and damaged fins! Obviously a big tank will allow the fish to swim off but one day bam! I even watched it happen.

Ok enjoy your tank and watch the diet of your algie eaters!