PDA

View Full Version : uv sterilizers

Jason K.
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
should i be running my uv sterilizer constantly, the lfs guy said i should and should also have a back up. this seems to me a bit overkill, if i don't need to how often should i run the light?:bounce2:

Chad Hughes
06-09-2009, 06:51 PM
When I ran UV, I would run it while the lights were on. It was just convenient to use the same timer. I recently remnoved it due to a burnt out bulb. I just haven't taken the time to replace the bulb. HTH!

Best wishes!

calihawker
06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Like Chad I stopped using mine when the bulb burned out. I just never really saw the benefit of using one. When I was running it I ran it 24-7.

Cheers!

KDodds
06-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Ditto Chad and Steve, it's just soemthing else to suck up power with little to no benefit, especially if you're intent is disease control or prevention.

mmorris
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I ran one on my display tank because my responsible, fishy neighborhood friends said we have no chlorine in the water. I called the water department about a different issue and also asked them about the chlorine, and they said that yes, they do add it, but it dissipates by the time it reaches my tap. So, I no longer saw any point in a UV.

Chad Hughes
06-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I actually used it for green water control a LONG TIME AGO! LOL! It worked, but I haven't had that problem in a very long time. I actually just noticed that the buld was burnt out a couple of months back. It sits in a box in my storage room now.

Best wishes!

Dutch dude
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
A UV sterilizer is only useful for getting ride of green water but keep in mind a UV sterilizer won't take away the couse for green water. A very fine filter pad will do the same. I can't think of any other reason why one should add a UV sterilizer in his tank. Lots of fish stores want to sell lots of expensive equipment and supplements that don't do anything for you and some even create problems (like slime coat improvers).

calihawker
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I actually used it for green water control a LONG TIME AGO! LOL! It worked, but I haven't had that problem in a very long time. I actually just noticed that the buld was burnt out a couple of months back. It sits in a box in my storage room now.

Best wishes!

Let me just add that I never changed the bulb but I never took it out of the plumbing loop either. A little insurance policy should I need it for something like green water.

Wahter
06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
For the most part, I just run it to clear up the green water. I think the green water here is a seasonal thing, so I use it for a few weeks out of the year.

Walter

Jason K.
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
thanks for the insight fellow fish peoples, can any tell me about this green water, i've never encountered it, i do'nt think?

Chad Hughes
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks for the insight fellow fish peoples, can any tell me about this green water, i've never encountered it, i do'nt think?

Basically it's an algae bloom that is free floating in the water. The water will turn light green and progress to dark green to the point that you can't see through the tank. Getting to the root of the bloom is the best way to address it, but UV and diatom filtration will reduce or eliminate it.

Jason K.
06-11-2009, 09:16 PM
thnks again chad did you get my message about the fish on the san deigo discus site?

Chad Hughes
06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
thnks again chad did you get my message about the fish on the san deigo discus site?

I did. Thank you for the inquiry!

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds like some one like to sell thier products...save your $$$

I agree.