PDA

View Full Version : What sex is my fish... male?

machine77
06-10-2009, 01:28 AM
hi, ive been trying to sex this one fish of mine for awhile, i think its a male, sorry my photos are bad, ha ha i tried to get the best pic possible.. thanks so much for any help given! thought someone out there might know since simply memebers have helped me out so far with everything else!

Eddie
06-10-2009, 01:40 AM
hi, ive been trying to sex this one fish of mine for awhile, i think its a male, sorry my photos are bad, ha ha i tried to get the best pic possible.. thanks so much for any help given! thought someone out there might know since simply memebers have helped me out so far with everything else!

Second picture is blurry but from the first and third it gives the impression of a female. I am no expert but just seems so. :o

Eddie

machine77
06-10-2009, 01:41 AM
thanks eddie, what exactly do you looks for in order to sex male from female?

Eddie
06-10-2009, 01:47 AM
thanks eddie, what exactly do you looks for in order to sex male from female?

Couldn't tell you, just something that stands out, I could be totally wrong. Just my opinion. Others will have ideas.

Eddie

machine77
06-10-2009, 01:59 AM
ok cool, thanks for your help!!!

bs6749
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I also think that it's a female. I'm looking at the roundness at the back part of the dorsal fin. Males are usually pointed and not as round. This isn't a guaranteed method of sexing though. It's just one of those things that if the dorsal fin is pointed then it's most likely a male. Not necessarily true in the reverse.

machine77
06-11-2009, 01:56 AM
i appriciate everyones help, its nice to learn how alot of people sex them, im just learning. so if its round and flat down there its more likely a female, verses pointed would be more like a male? i can see that its more round and flat after you said that, i went and check it out..

bs6749
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Look at these two pics that I just snapped for a better explaination. They are of my rose red proven female and carnation snakeskin proven male pair. The area circled on the female has a curve to it and the area circled on the male has a definitive point. The point isn't always there on males but when it is there it indicates that the fish is a male.

I have another fish (PB) that I though was a male, but now that it is an adult I know that it is a female for sure. It has the same curvature as the female rose red and the female rose red harasses it, while the male carnation snakeskin pays it no attention. The rose red female must feel like it has to prevent the PB female from taking her spot with the male.

Anyway, hope you can see what I mean from the pics.

Chad Adams
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Agree with previous posters. I believe it is female, though you
can never guarantee. Most, not all will display point on dorsal.
Chad

machine77
06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
wow.. thanks so much for taking the time to show me pictures, its alot easier when pictures are involved to understand what someone is saying.. thanks for your time and helping me learn so much.. it will not be forgotten!

Eddie
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I also look at the vent area as explained in Andrew Soh's book, The Naked Truth.

Not to mention, that fish you have looks like exactly like my females in body shape.

Eddie

machine77
06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
cool, im in the middle of finding a few good books about discus.. know of any good ones? and eddie, what do you think of this female of mine? color, shape ect... good?

Chad Adams
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
cool, im in the middle of finding a few good books about discus.. know of any good ones? and eddie, what do you think of this female of mine? color, shape ect... good?

I know you only asked for Eddie's opinion, but... I'll give you mine:D
I think He/She is a gorgeous fish. I would be proud to have, Looks like
you are taking good care of her/him.
Chad

Eddie
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Yes, both of Andrew Soh's books. Book by Jim Quarles, Dick Au and there are a few others out that I am interested in.

The fish, male or female, is beautiful. Beautiful color and pattern!

Eddie

machine77
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
thanks guys! sorry if i was rude, im open to any opion! that leopard was my fish fish i baught, and she was 4.5", now she is almost 5.5". she's my favorite! only cuz she my biggest, i cant wait for my others to get as big as her!

Eddie
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks guys! sorry if i was rude, im open to any opion! that leopard was my fish fish i baught, and she was 4.5", now she is almost 5.5". she's my favorite! only cuz she my biggest, i cant wait for my others to get as big as her!

Well you've taken really good care of her/him. Its a very nice fish that I would like to have. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

bs6749
06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
wow.. thanks so much for taking the time to show me pictures, its alot easier when pictures are involved to understand what someone is saying.. thanks for your time and helping me learn so much.. it will not be forgotten!

No problem and I apologize for the poor quality. The lights were off in the tank and I turned them on to take the pics and those were the best two that "clearly" showed what I was referring to.

I also have to say that your leopard is very nice. I think you should post more pictures of it in the judging section to get a more thorough assessment. On a scale of 1-10, with 5 being average, I'd be really surprised if it scored less than 7.5 or so. She's a nice looking fish and I'd make room for her in one of my tanks.

Peachtree Discus
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
if you saw the entire spawn it was from, IMO you'd have a better chance saying whether its a male or female. anything else is a guess. there are lots of exceptions to every rule.

machine77
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
i just might take some better pix and see what the would score her just for kicks.. i got this fish from kenny/forrest in april. she's the only fish of mine that will eat reef flake, lol. i love getting on here and looking at pictures of other peoples fish! its exciting.

Daniella
06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Not sure what sex but it's a beauty!