PDA

View Full Version : setting up 150 gallon

Coralife205
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi, im sort of new and sort of not new to this forum. ive been comeing here from time to time to read and do some reserch on discus. i am setting up a 150 gallon aquarium this week. this tank will be a planted tank. i was hopeing that some of you could help me on comeing up with an aquascape design for the discus.

what kind of plants are compatibl with discus? do i want a lot of open space in the middle for them to swim. like should i plant a lot on each corner of the tank, and have a forground plant in the middle? im just haveing trouble comeing up with an aqua scape design for these fish. any other fish, no problem, but these...

here are my tank specification:

150 gallon
factor bottom drilled overflow
berlin sump
150 watt DE metal halides, 6500K, sunpods
300Watt heater
Pressurised CO2 tank
flourite black
i want to use melaysain driftwood, and some rocks in the tank..probably granite or slate chips

im planning on keeping 6 discus ONLY. i dont want to many. plus i want a large school of cardinal tetras!!!!!! :) (how many should i get?) i know i want some corrys and some sort of algea eaters( what do you recomend?) how many of each of the fish that i said should i get?
thank you for your help. i dont know if this website will email me or not when you guys reply, so if its possible please reply to coralife205@yahoo.com

thank you and i deeply apprecaite your help.

-Brian

DiscusKeeper403
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Hmmm... only 1 WPG?

Coralife205
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
corection, THREE metal halides

DiscusKeeper403
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Sounds good.

I don't really like much going into a Discus tank to be honest. You could try bristlenose pleco. I know there are a few other types that should be fine in a Discus tank. Stay away from most species though, as they can latch onto the Discus and eat their slime coat. Watch out for Corydora too, there are only I believe two species that can handle the temperatures of a Discus tank. I am drawing a blank on the names of those species at the moment though. :p

As for Cardinals you could easily fit quite a few. I would do anywhere from 30-50 but it is up to you how many you want.