PDA

View Full Version : The death of a discus...

silent_thunder
06-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Dec 31 I walked into a fish store out of town and saw a tank with 1/2 dozen discus in them...they were brillent and it had been over 30 years since I had any....

So I bought two...and the happened to be a pair...

Somehow I found this sight a month or so later...

The male kept breaking out with white spots....so I would treat him daily either with Iodine or salt baths....then it was two salt baths a day...he was a special discus to me and it was only by the help of people here that I was able to keep all the discus I have now....

I cycled two tanks....fishless and last week was able to put some discus in both, including the pair of blue turqs...but something was wrong they would not eat...

two days later at night I noticed the male sucking air at the top....I thought dang...I forgot the airstone, though I had a sponge filter running...

By midnight he was on his side with the female next to him...

By 3:30 he was dead...

And it was MY own fault..

I forgot to turn to turn the heaters down from when I was cycling them...

But I remember what Eddie had done and was able to save the female...

Anyways...I want to thank all those that helped me....from posting here to those that took the time to email me...

So now....he is resting in peace in my freezer -L-

Anyways...I have that behind me now...having the first one die on me...

Thanks everyone...

rickztahone
06-14-2009, 12:15 PM
we all have to start somewhere my friend and more than one of us has lost discus when first starting, me included. keep your head up and keep at it, i should probably be taking my own advise. when the road gets tough, you must get tougher!

Justice
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I am sorry to hear that you lost your fish it is a hard lesson to learn but I bet you never forget to check the temp again. :o

Eddie
06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh bro, I am sorry to hear about the loss. I am glad that you are putting it behind you and able to keep on moving forward.

Take care and again, I am sorry to hear,

Eddie

calihawker
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Man,that's a real bummer!:( Sorry to hear that. Keep it up. You know you got a lot of support around here.:)

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Its always hard losing a fish, especially when you get that slight attachment to it. You just have too keep on moving ahead bro. & keep that chin up. Sorry to hear the news.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

keef
06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Damn, sorry to hear it bro. Still keeping a positive attitude is what's it's all about. I think every dedicated Discus keeper has lost a fish or two in their time. Best of luck for the future.
Keith