PDA

View Full Version : going about this right?

tcup
06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
i am planning to break down my 69gal and upgrade to a 125. my plan is to run the cansister that is on the current tank on the 125 until the filter for the 125 is mature enough to take over. will this work, and if so, how long should i give it? the bioload wont be any more then it is now until the new filter matures. so i assume that although i will be working with more water, as long as i dont increase the bioload my filter should be able to keep up.

for water changes i am not so sure what to do. is 30 gallons a day enough to keep the fish healthy and growing? if i need to do larger water changes, do i simply drain it, add conditioner, and refill? i have never done this before and it makes me really nervous to think about doing it this way:o

Justice
06-14-2009, 12:52 PM
You could share some of the Filter media from the old filter with the new filter to help get your new filter going too. ~HTH

Elite Aquaria
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tiana,

What is your plan? Will all the same fish that are in your 69 go into your 125? Was this the tank that you had some disease issues with?

If this tank was not the tank that had the issues and you do not plan on keeping the 69 up and running with the same filter then just transfer the filter and the water from the 69 to the 125 fill up with tap water add Prime and you are good to go.

Amount of water change required will depend on the age of your fish, filtration and feeding program. If young fish more feeding thus more water changes.

tcup
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
thanks joe and dan. i am getting ready to go work on the tank now. i will take some pics and share my progress. thanks for the call dan, i feel a lot more comfortable about what i am doing now:p

Elite Aquaria
06-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Call me any time...That goes for anyone on this forum...that is why I have my numbers listed below.

Justice
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
thanks joe and dan. i am getting ready to go work on the tank now. i will take some pics and share my progress. thanks for the call dan, i feel a lot more comfortable about what i am doing now:pI look forward to seeing your new tank as it progresses. You are in very good hands with Dan ! ;)