PDA

View Full Version : Breeding situation...too crowded.

KJoFan
06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I've had these 5 adult discus for what seems like forever (2 years for a couple, less for others) and never even seen a hint of pairing, desire to breed, nothing, until tonight. After waterchange my female blue snakeskin started cleaning the side of the tank in preparation for laying eggs. I had seen her tube extended somewhat for the past couple days, so I figured something was in the works.

Well now that it's happening I'm pretty sure the other 4 are males. She'd been hanging at one end with my Blue Diamond and he's been beating up on her somewhat, not unusual for some pairs to do this I know.

I watched as she started to lay the eggs and the BD was right there to eat them. The rest all seemed to stay at the other end of the tank. But as time has gone on tonight, the BD is still roughing up the female and now one of my Leopards is getting in on the act, eating eggs mostly. At times he almost seems to know what he's doing and swims alongside her as she lays, as if fertilizing. I have had him pair with other females in the past so I know he's at least familiar with the routine.

So my question is, who is her mate? I feel like I won't get a clear idea unless I split her off with a male, as they are potentially eating the eggs out of pressure or fear of competition.

Should I let it play out a few more times or just try pairing her with one of them and see how they handle things alone?

Any advice is appreciated. ;)

kaceyo
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I'd watch them closely for awhile and look for her start nodding and bowing at one in particuler. Any discus will try to overwhelm her to get at the eggs so that's no sign that they are interested in spawning. Once you can see some pairing behavior then your chances of success are much greater.
Good Luck,

Kacey

KJoFan
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the advice Kacey. It appears the BD just likes to keep the female SS in the corner. She signals to him at times and he responds by ramming into her. Or if she tries to go to another part of the tank, he bullies her back to the end.

One of the Leopards makes passes on the breeding cone at the other end and gets bullied by another one in the tank. I think they are all just confused! :D

kaceyo
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, they can be a bit thick sometimes, lol! Keep an eye on the BD. Ramming into the females side is one way the males let them know they want to breed, but some males get too aggressive, won't let the females even move, and will cause damage. I've seen them do it so much the female can't even spawn.

Kacey