PDA

View Full Version : Red Wines survey

brewmaster15
06-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
Curious what Red Winers are drinking these days? If you like Red wine, whats your favorite Wine? What do you routinely buy ? Are you a dry wine drinker? Myself I am a Dry Red Guy... Give me the strongest , most dry red you can find... cabernets are my staple... but my all time favorites are well aged and well vinted Barolo....were I rich...I would have a wine celler full of them!

-al

calihawker
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I've always been a fan of blends. Barbera for one, cabernet franc and my absolute favorite from a local winery is a quintet. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec. The winery, Madrona, has a blend day for club members. You get to go in, learn about blending and come up with your own blend which they bottle for you.:)

Of course there's nothing better with a big plate of spaghetti than chianti!

Cheers!

mmorris
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
cabernets are my staple...

That's me. :)

poconogal
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Definately a Merlot when I do have anything red, but I prefer a nice Rose or White Zinfandel over a red wine.

Salute!

MSD
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
We have some great wineries here on long island, they have wine tasting and discount sale of they best wines. I am no soumelier,but the wine is fantastic. Have you ever visited wineries here on L.I. Al?

Graham
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Merlot, red Zin or a barolo do just fine

Peachtree Discus
06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
...Give me the strongest , most dry red you can find...

oo yea! ;) cabernets, cabernets, and cabernets. Never tried Barolo, but i'll be on the lookout next time.

kirkp
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm with ya on the reds Al. Our favorites in order are shiraz, merlot, and then a cab. Our most frequent purchase is a product called Little Penguin (think it might be Aussie). Usually runs about $6 per bottle.

pcsb23
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I like deep red fruity wines. A Rioja Reserva takes some beating imo.

steve.ryall
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm with Paul ;)

seanyuki
06-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I love those Pauillac, Bordeaux, France....only empty bottles for memories .

Cheers
Francis:)

Chad Hughes
06-17-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't drink wine often, but I keep it in the house all the time. Cabs and merlots are my staple. I do have a case of bottles from Bouchard Per & Fils in France. I wrote a paper about their winery when I was in college and they sent me a crate of thier wine. It was a great suprise and I'm waiting until just the right moment to break it out!

KDodds
06-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Bordeaux guy here, or anything close to a full bodied, very dry red. Though I'm more about locality. I've never had an Italian, Chilean, or Australian wine that hasn't been too much like vinegar for me. Primarily I drink French or California wines.

Graham
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Bordeaux guy here, or anything close to a full bodied, very dry red. Though I'm more about locality. I've never had an Italian, Chilean, or Australian wine that hasn't been too much like vinegar for me. Primarily I drink French or California wines.

Try a Italian Pio Cesar Barolo....

brewmaster15
06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Mark,
I've not been to Long Island for the vineyards...but I know they have good grapes out there...many of the CT vineyards use grapes from LI to suppliment their stocks and to produce some of the blends here...I've been to most vineyards in CT....

For local varieties ..We have some absolutely amazing Cabernet Francs out here.

Francis,
Have you tried any of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape? Theres some really nice wines that come out of that region.

For those of you that haven't tried the Barolos...some info..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barolo

-al

Diamond Discus
06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Cabernet is number one with me and Merlot comes in a close second. I like very dry wines.

Kendall Jackson Stature is awesome, it is a limited-production blend drawn from five classic Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petite Verdot and Malbec. We are wine club members at Kendall Jackson. All of their reds are great!

seanyuki
06-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Those Penfolds wines from Australia are very nice too....Bin 707,328 & 407 and of couse their Penfolds Grange Australia's most prestigious red wine over four decades.

Cheers
Francis:)

Roxanne
06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
.. I've never had an Italian, Chilean, or Australian wine that hasn't been too much like vinegar for me. ..

....they ALL taste like cat's wee to me lol......I imagine...

Reds give me indigestion...does anyone know why do they do that?...a tawny port doesn't 'hurt' though...is that a "red"?...

Clueless child of an alcoholic would you believe?

Rox

Graham
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
tannins.....................

We had Wolf Blass here a few weeks ago and I got a very good bottle of his

Roxanne
06-17-2009, 03:24 PM
...tannins?...for the indigestion or the cats wee taste?:D

Graham
06-17-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL get the activated carbon out...it'll clear it right up:D

ashaysathe
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I am not a drinker in general but I sometimes enjoy wine. I primarily am a Riesling fan but Kendall Jackson Chardonnay are amazing too.

I have also liked Gewurztraminer. Its a german wine - a little spiced up grape and pretty amazing too.

http://www.germanwineusa.org/home_cellar/varieties_gewurztraminer.php

But anything goes great with my kinda a curry .. can't beat that

Roxanne
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
...if anyone wants a bottle of a good Red Australian Vinegar, let me know and I'll send you some:)

Rox

ashaysathe
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
...if anyone wants a bottle of a good Red Australian Vinegar, let me know and I'll send you some:)

Rox

If you are sending it you might as well send "Yellow Tail" and a Kookabura cricket bat .. make the shipping worth while.

calihawker
06-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Cabernet is number one with me and Merlot comes in a close second. I like very dry wines.

Kendall Jackson Stature is awesome, it is a limited-production blend drawn from five classic Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petite Verdot and Malbec. We are wine club members at Kendall Jackson. All of their reds are great!

Thanks for the tip on that one.;)

Rox, you are cracking me up!:laugh:

shawnhu
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
This might be a joke to most of you experienced drinkers, but I enjoy the taste of Columbia Crest, two wines mix. I forget the proper name for it, but it's something I've tried, and liked. Not that I've tried much wines, but I guess this one does it for now. And it's cheap!

Diamond Discus
06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
This might be a joke to most of you experienced drinkers, but I enjoy the taste of Columbia Crest, two wines mix. I forget the proper name for it, but it's something I've tried, and liked. Not that I've tried much wines, but I guess this one does it for now. And it's cheap!

Columbia Crest Chardonnay is my very favorite everyday wine. (around 7 bucks here) The Grand reserve is much better, buttery and dry, but more expensive (13 bucks). We have tried to like the Two Vines, but it's just too harsh and for us.

We also like these Chardonnays: Glass Mountain (7 bucks), Toasted Head (really good too, and around 13 bucks), and Clos du Bois (I believe it's 12 bucks and is is a very nice white wine).

Columbia Crest has a nice Cabernet too.

Autumn Wind
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Ah another subject near and dear to my heart ;)
Living in Seattle gives me access to uncountable wineries. My husband and I are members of Che. San Michelle and Columbia Wineries. And there are numerus wine fesitvals every summer.
Off the top of my head one of my all time favorites is D2 made by DeLille Winery which is a blend 52.5% Merlot 38.5% Cabernet Sauvignon 7% Cabernet Franc 2% Petit Verdot. Hard to find I'm hoarding a couple bottles.
Also like the Barbera from Columbia, nice dry red.
I'm pretty partial to red zin and Sarah or Shiraz.
My favorite 'cheep' wine is Twisted Zin.
After the move I wil have to start exploring the CA wine country. A new adventure. :D

calihawker
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM

I'll groan only if someone brings up Two Buck UpChuck.:vomit:

After the move I wil have to start exploring the CA wine country. A new adventure.

I ived in Sonoma for 5 years so I can point ya in the right direction.;) You don't have to go that far though. El Dorado county has some excellent winery's. Madrona has the best wines in the area. A 30 minute drive.

korbi_doc
06-17-2009, 08:08 PM
;) Nothing like Kendall Jackson Chardonnay!!! one of my favorites..some Rieslings too, yrs ago had some "wedding Veil" think that was a Riesling, could be wrong, but it was a very nice wine.. a very nice German Riesling I had at a Veterinary mtg was great, but now can't remember the name, lol....

Dottie ;).

I am not a drinker in general but I sometimes enjoy wine. I primarily am a Riesling fan but Kendall Jackson Chardonnay are amazing too.

shawnhu
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Columbia Crest Chardonnay is my very favorite everyday wine. (around 7 bucks here) The Grand reserve is much better, buttery and dry, but more expensive (13 bucks). We have tried to like the Two Vines, but it's just too harsh and for us.

We also like these Chardonnays: Glass Mountain (7 bucks), Toasted Head (really good too, and around 13 bucks), and Clos du Bois (I believe it's 12 bucks and is is a very nice white wine).

Columbia Crest has a nice Cabernet too.

I'll have to try those other ones one day, I enjoy Two Vines :D