PDA

View Full Version : 6/16/2009 Update

calihawker
06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Week 4 already? Time flys when you're having fun! And what a load of fun it is!:D I don't know whats more fun, raising these guys or watching all the other contestants posts. Nothing much changes on my end so I spend more time reading all these other threads, checkin' out the competition.:bandana:

Well it's a good thing I'm in cruise control with the w/c. This new baby bird of mine is a bit more of a handful than I was expecting. Extremely demanding of practically every minute of my day.:o

I did manage to get the canister filter hooked up last night. It had an immediate affect on water clarity. Also the way the spray bar is located it washes detritus over towards the siphon tube. From what I can see in how stuff settles in that corner, I may not have to manually vaccum but every couple days.

A couple of the fish are growing WAY faster than the others. Between the biggest and smallest is maybe a third difference. Everyone eats just as vigorously and have fat bellys after feeding. Could this be a side affect of the low tds issues as discussed on Bill's forum? You seeing the same thing Bill?

No changes in feeding or water changes. I will be testing for ammonia and nitrites daily with the new filter, but with the massive water changes I don't think I'll see anything.

Just a video this week. This was shot after the new filter was installed and I did a major scrubbing. If you look closely at my heater you'll see I scorched it.:( I have since added it to the control system to turn off at w/c.:D

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/SD_Challenge/th_PICT0176.jpg (http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/SD_Challenge/?action=view&current=PICT0176.flv)

acroken
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Steve-O
they look big! Seems they like the new filter also:) Nice color and striations. Glad to hear the w/c system is running smooth. Fish are really looking good.

Kenny

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
holy CRAP Steve! they all look amazing! great video this week bro. the fish are getting huuuuuge, they really are. great work with them! :D I love that big, more solid one, stunning! keep up the good work my friend :D. I really cant wait to see everyones fish toward the end of the comp. 6 adult golden albinos flyin around the tanks. its gonna be a sight to see, thats for sure. :)

take care bro.

MRQuad
06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
that is an amazing video that you have in there steve-o.. they are all soo huge.. you are doing great in taking care of them.. keep it up!

marvin

calihawker
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks you guys! Fun stuff that's for sure!:D

Autumn Wind
06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
They are gorgeous!!
Whatcha gonna do with them after the challenge..... neighbor?
:D

DLock3d
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
They are gorgeous!!

Ha ha, nice.

calihawker
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
They are gorgeous!!

Oh! that's a good one!:D

dean9922
06-17-2009, 07:02 PM
BEAUTIFUL FISH AND GREAT VIDEO.....GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE!!!!!!

wgtaylor
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Week 4 already? Time flys when you're having fun! Oh, Good Times again huh?

I spend more time reading all these other threads, checkin' out the competition.:bandana: I think you may be ahead of my competition !

A couple of the fish are growing WAY faster than the others. Between the biggest and smallest is maybe a third difference. Everyone eats just as vigorously and have fat bellys after feeding. Could this be a side affect of the low tds issues as discussed on Bill's forum? You seeing the same thing Bill?

Great video Steve,
Your fish do look fantastic, color and vigor. Picture Perfect
I have some size difference but nothing significant, could just be difference between male and female. I try to drop the food in two different places so when the bullies go for the first drop the othere have learned to wait, knowing I will make that second drop. :D
I'm pretty sure if it was a tds problem it would affect all of them equally.
Awesome job Steve,

Bill

Chad Hughes
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Steve,

Just checked out your video. Totally awesome! They really look huge! It's either the camera angle or the fact that the fish are now 4". LOL! You are certainly doing a fantastic job with them. Well done!

Best wishes!

Autumn Wind
06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Ha ha, nice.

Oh! that's a good one!:D

Yea but knowing me I'll have all my tank space crammed with discus by that time :D

Keep up the great work Steve-O!

SriAngel
06-18-2009, 03:29 AM
Its been a few weeks since i checked out the contest, and sheesh what a difference. What are you feeding them Steve...horses? Looking good, keep up the good work, also fascinating i checked out your post on Cassie. Between the bird and the fish you certainly have your hands full!

kirkp
06-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Hey Steve,

Fish are looking fantastic. You're doing a great job.

Kirk

calihawker
06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Yea but knowing me I'll have all my tank space crammed with discus by that time :D

Keep up the great work Steve-O!

Can't have empty tanks now can we?:D

Let me know if you have time for lunch on Friday. There's a new restaurant in town I've been wanting to try.

Looking forward to meeting you and your husband!

Its been a few weeks since i checked out the contest, and sheesh what a difference. What are you feeding them Steve...horses? Looking good, keep up the good work, also fascinating i checked out your post on Cassie. Between the bird and the fish you certainly have your hands full!

Thanks Angel! With Cassie on my fist for HOURS at a time, I'm getting good at one finger, hunt and peck typing!:p

Hey Steve,

Fish are looking fantastic. You're doing a great job.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! Back at ya!!

Scribbles
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Simply Amazing Steve! At their current rate of growth you're gonna need a bigger tank. LOL. Great job with them.

Chris

rickztahone
06-19-2009, 02:26 PM
i know everyone keeps saying it but your discus look huge. have you measured them as of late? it's quite an achievement for sure because when you just got them i remember they were tiny. great job, and keep up whatever it is that you are doing, it's working!

calihawker
06-19-2009, 08:41 PM
i know everyone keeps saying it but your discus look huge. have you measured them as of late? it's quite an achievement for sure because when you just got them i remember they were tiny. great job, and keep up whatever it is that you are doing, it's working!

From all the comments I was thinking that maybe the dimensions of the tank just made them look bigger but after reviewing the earlier photos, they have indeed grown quite a bit.

I'll measure one today or tomorrow.

Eddie
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Outstanding work Steve, honestly, unreal! Those babies are growing so well and they are developing into some stunners. Exceptional job!

Take care,

Eddie

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Steve, what can I say apart from Astounding! :bandana: The w/c's do play a big roll in fish growth. I've burnt out plenty heaters myself with forget fallness, although now had an electrican wire me up a switch board, for each section of my tanks, dont have to unplug those damn cables anymore. You are doing a great job, keep at it bro. :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)