PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic vs. Glass

Munchkinz
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
What are the pros & cons of an Acrylic tank verses a Glass tank?
I've always had glass tanks and came across an 85g acrylic tank for sale. I know that acrylic is lighter and tends to scratch easily but will it last as long as a glass tank? which is more durable?

Scribbles
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know if one will outlast the other. As you mentioned acrylic is lighter, without seams it's less likely to leak, and you get a clearer view of the fish. The downsides to acrylic are that it scratches more easily than glass and I find that it's not as easy to clean with the smaller space at the top to reach in. It's more a matter of personal preference.

Chris

mmorris
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a 125 gal Seaclear acrylic tank that I purchased used. The scratches haven't been a problem because my tank is bb and I always wipe with a soft cloth. The tank has a bit of a hazy fog, though, and I have heard the same complaint from other acrylic tank owners. It's just not as clear as glass. The hype says it is clearer, but I'm not so sure in the long run. Others report no problems after years of service though. I'm also getting a bit of crazing along the top edge and one end, and one end has what looks like thousands of tiny bubbles embedded in it. I want to put driftwood in it, but I need bushynose plecos to keep the wood clean. People familiar with plecos tell me the bn will scuff up the acrylic. An acrylic tank does give a little peace of mind to those of us who worry about overloading the floors because it weighs less, and it is supposed to be more resistant to leaking. Nevertheless, a friend has offered to trade his glass tank in excellent condition for my acrylic, and I accepted.

Daniella
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
How much less does it weight once filled? because obviously it's the water that is the biggest part of the weight, not really the aquarium?

Not sure how much mine weight, but it's heavy enough to require 2 strong men to move it and it's 120 gallons. I would think around 150 to 200lbs. How much less would acrylic weight?

I have a 125 gal Seaclear acrylic tank that I purchased used. The scratches haven't been a problem because my tank is bb and I always wipe with a soft cloth. The tank has a bit of a hazy fog, though, and I have heard the same complaint from other acrylic tank owners. It's just not as clear as glass. The hype says it is clearer, but I'm not so sure in the long run. Others report no problems after years of service though. I'm also getting a bit of crazing along the top edge and one end, and one end has what looks like thousands of tiny bubbles embedded in it. I want to put driftwood in it, but I need bushynose plecos to keep the wood clean. People familiar with plecos tell me the bn will scuff up the acrylic. An acrylic tank does give a little peace of mind to those of us who worry about overloading the floors because it weighs less, and it is supposed to be more resistant to leaking. Nevertheless, a friend has offered to trade his glass tank in excellent condition for my acrylic, and I accepted.

seanyuki
06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Just sharing.....:)

http://www.firsttankguide.net/tanktype.php

Cheers
Francis:)

mmorris
06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Excellent, Francis. :)