PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Wrigglers

poconoboss
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a pair that have laid eggs a few times but with no success (they are still kind of young) so when they laid eggs this time I really didn't pay it too much mind since I figured they would eat them like the last two times.

Well, I got home from work tonight and much to my surprise I saw that I had wrigglers!!!!:bounce:

Well, I got so excited and I want the babies to be successful and grow but I really don't know much about raising them and it happened so fast I haven't had time to research yet what to do.

I removed the parents from the big tank with all the other fish, since they were going crazy chasing everyone who got close to the leaf they laid the eggs on.

The only spare tank I had was an eclipse 5 gallon that I use as a hospital tank. So I put the leaf in there along with the parents and I put a mesh bag around the filter intake so the fry would not get sucked up.

So far, they seem to be very attentive parents.

What is the proper protocol? How long do I leave the parents in there?, when do I feed etc. I am lost...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics:

http://poconoboss.smugmug.com/photos/567920182_nhjF5-L.jpg

http://poconoboss.smugmug.com/photos/567930052_hCwD3-L.jpg

Elite Aquaria
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
First of all congratulations you are one step closer. A 5 gallon tank is to small to maintain proper water conditions to raise fry. You are going to need to get at least a 20 gallon tank for breeding. But for now this is what you need to do:

1.) Put a night light on the fish 24/7
2.) Feed only clean foods like blood worms for the next few days (no flake or beef heart)
3.) Daily water changes but your new water have the same temp as your tank
4.) Keep your ammonia in check...this will kill fry very quickly
5.) Leave the parents in tank (almost forgot that one)
6.) Learn how to hatch Baby Brine Shrimp

If you have more questions call me or send me a PM

poconoboss
06-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info!

I know I am going to need a bigger tank, and when I pick one up I was going to get a sponge filter as well.

Daily water changes are a given.

I did not know about the night light, do you mean a night light nearby? Not the tank light correct?

The tank is currently on my kitchen counter, can I leave one of my under cabinet lights on?

Elite Aquaria
06-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Very dim light will work...You can use one of the night lights that you plug into an outlet and it has a very small bulb...I have used an extension cord hanging above the tank with the night light.

poconoboss
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks again for the info.

Out of curiousity though, why do they need the light 24/7?

Elite Aquaria
06-20-2009, 02:06 AM
So parents continue to care for the wigglers...

Eddie
06-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Wow, thats crazy to see. Them 2 little suckers in there with the wrigglers in a 5 gallon. Thats pretty amazing!

Take care and all the best with them,

Eddie

poconoboss
06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
So parents continue to care for the wigglers...

Thanks, I guess I should have figured that one out...lol, I just wasn't sure if there was a more specific reason.

Well, the wrigglers are free smimming now and are actually starting to look like tiny fish with eyes.

Hopefully I can keep them alive. I breed plenty of fish in the past but it is so much more exciting with discus.

Peachtree Discus
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
congratulations on the level of success you have had thus far!!! :thumbsup: Just keep up the wcs and good food you should be good. If you have a scope, you may want to check the parents for any critters. it would be a good heads up on the fry - just a suggestion.

poconoboss
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
So after about 10 days, I have only 1 fry left. He is getting kind of big and is very active and very healthy. Seems to be growing by the day, he's actually beginning to look like a discus.

When is it ok to remove the parents and raise the fry by itself? I really would like to get the parents back into the big tank.

Thanks.

mmorris
06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Raise one little fry all by itself? Hmmm, I doubt he would thrive.

poconoboss
06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Raise one little fry all by itself? Hmmm, I doubt he would thrive.

Well, he seems to be thriving. He gets noticely bigger and is swimming vigerously.

Even if I only get this one fry to mature, I will be happy since it's my first time and I wasn't really trying.

Now that I know that I have two pairs, when I have some spare money, I will buy some breeding tanks and setup a proper breeding environment.