PDA

View Full Version : R/o unit help

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
I just changed the filters to my kold ster-il r/o unit and now the water is going out just as fast as it is going in. I took the TDS meter and its reading the same as the tap... any Ideas?

thanks,

Hal

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
It sounds like one of the restrictors is missing.... did you have any extra parts after you changed the filters?

William Palumbo
06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I did not know they made RO units. I have the Kold-Steril unit, and it's just basically a tap-water filter removing a lot of contaminates, but not altering the PH or hardness...Bill

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Bill,

You are absolutely correct! I did a quick search after I read you reply and it's just a tap water filter for drinking water. If that's the case, I guess the flow is supposed to be fast. I know it is on my tap water carbon block filter. I assume this is similar. Interesting!

Best wishes!

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
It sounds like one of the restrictors is missing.... did you have any extra parts after you changed the filters?

Yeah, I took it apart and re greased all the o rings. It just has three media inserts and you have to clean the o rings and re-grease them.

I did not know they made RO units. I have the Kold-Steril unit, and it's just basically a tap-water filter removing a lot of contaminates, but not altering the PH or hardness...Bill

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~PB1211~idCategor y~FIRO~category~Reverse_Osmosis-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~~tab~0.html

I got it mine off craiglist, but its the same thing. so it not a r/o unit? Now im confused! AGAIN!:)

William Palumbo
06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Chad...I have had mine for many years. I beleive the flow-rate thru it is @4gpm...fast!. I know their ads always compare their filter with RO units, bashing them for water waste. I never understood that because the Kold Steril unit WILL NOT soften water, like what RO does. Two different beasts...Bill

William Palumbo
06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Mugzy...Is NOT an RO unit...Tho is VERY good to run your tap-water thru when filling up your tanks after water changes...Bill

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Mugzy...Is NOT an RO unit...Tho is VERY good to run your tap-water thru when filling up your tanks after water changes...Bill

Thanks Bill,

Before i changed the inserts the flow rate was horrible!!!! after the changed it, it was like i was using a fire hose. does yours do that as well?

William Palumbo
06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Mugz...Yea it flows well, and is designed to do so. Makes those water changes go by fast!...Bill

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks Bill, All this time I thougt I had a r/o unit!!!

That explains it tho