PDA

View Full Version : I have wrigglers!!!!

Mr Wild
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
:p:DYep confirmed this morning, looks like 30-40 from my red scribbled turqs. They are in the main tank so I have used one of those plastic dividers to help keep the other 3 adults away although the parents are doing a great job.

So the upshot is I know I have a real pair and they know what to do. The next few days will tell more ! But it is really really exciting!:D:D:D:D

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Congrats Kath!

I am so happy for you! I think you owe me some fry. LOL! Now the fun starts taking care of the little ones!

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
06-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes I have read the timeline and thought well if they make it to Day 5 their "birthday" I will be very happy then I will look at getting BBS hatchery happening. You just never know what around the corner!

Do I keep doing my normal wc?

Peachtree Discus
06-20-2009, 12:19 AM
keep your wc routine the same. IMO, no need to change unless it is a potential issue during their spawning cycles.

keef
06-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Congrats Kath!
It's pretty exiting eh? I havent got as far as you as my male hasn't quite got the hang of fertilising the eggs yet, but we're getting there. Keep us posted on developments. And some pics would be awesome if you get the chance...
Keith

Vieira
06-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Congrats Kath!
It's pretty exiting eh? I havent got as far as you as my male hasn't quite got the hang of fertilising the eggs yet, but we're getting there. Keep us posted on developments. And some pics would be awesome if you get the chance...
Keith

I love your signature that's awsome.

Eddie
06-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Thats great Kath!

All the best with them,

Eddie

Mr Wild
06-20-2009, 03:56 AM
keep your wc routine the same. IMO, no need to change unless it is a potential issue during their spawning cycles.

I don't see an issude so tomorrow we will have wc as usual then. Thanks for your help!

Congrats Kath!
Keith

I really can't beleive they have it right! They are the youngest in the tank and the smallest and yet I have fry, who would have guessed! I tried to get a pic last night but they have put them on the white silicon in the back corner and all I seem to get is a white blur. Might have to wait a few more days.

Thats great Kath!

All the best with them,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie yes I was jumpin and waving my arms around it was such a special moment.

Thanks for you kind words everyone.

MostlyDiscus
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Great Job Kath,,, would love to see some pics of the parents and wigglers when you get the chance. In the meantime enjoy:)

Ed

Mr Wild
06-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Great Job Kath,,, would love to see some pics of the parents and wigglers when you get the chance. In the meantime enjoy:)

Ed

Ok got some pics tonight, hope you can see them! The mum is the darker one...I think. The father the lighter orange/tan colour.
I think they are red scribbled turqs.

Chad Hughes
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Kath,

Well done! I am so happy for you! To think that a few months back you were struggling to keep discus alive and today they are breeding! That's fantastic! Speaking of that, what's up with the Aussie contest? Has anyone heard? I want you to be a contestant! ;)

Eddie
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Kath,

Well done! I am so happy for you! To think that a few months back you were struggling to keep discus alive and today they are breeding! That's fantastic! Speaking of that, what's up with the Aussie contest? Has anyone heard? I want you to be a contestant! ;)

No way Chad, you already got some stunners, you can't be a double contestant! :p

All the advice you gave Kath really paid off, now she has these babies running around, or should I say wiggling around. It's that water, the key to everything. ;)

Great pictures Kath, the fish look great!

Eddie

Mr Wild
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Kath,

Well done! I am so happy for you! To think that a few months back you were struggling to keep discus alive and today they are breeding! That's fantastic!
;)

LOL thank you so Chad, I am not really sure you know exactly what you gave me when you walked me patiently through TDS. Thanks just never seems enough.
Last year I went through a terrible time after falling on one knee, basically I smashed it up pretty bad. First I had an arthroscope to try and clean things up and mend it but months later with still no real improvement the docs decided a full knee replacement was what I needed. Through of all of this I needed something to do at home, I was missing my weekly tennis and the social aspect of that and while I had people around me the fact I could do little that was stimulating meant I was really struggling with myself. That is when I saw my first discus in the lfs and instantly fell in love. The community tank slowly changed as I ousted the fish that would not be compatible and planned on buying more discus. Never thinking that water that was ok for other fish would not be suitable for the discus.
As you know I had many losses and at the point where I was just about to give up, I had followed everyones good instructions about the filtering the water with carbon and airating etc but nothing was changing, little did I know that each time I did a wc I was making them sicker and sicker.
when I was so low with everything you chimed in talking about TDS, I had barely heard of it I had the KH and GH test kit and thought great mine is low I can keep discus but never really knew anything more.
By your words and the time you spent with me things turned around and still today I am amazed at the miracle of life in my tank, it has given me heaps to do and I can manage better each day, it made me get motivated and read and read and read and learn and I still have the greatest pleasure of just watching them.
Everyone here has a gift to give and each time they post they post a little gift to someone in need, but truly your gift has touched my heart and it will never be forgotten.

Speaking of that, what's up with the Aussie contest? Has anyone heard? I want you to be a contestant! ;)

Nope haven't heard a thing, but I will still have a tank if I do get chosen already thought of that LOL

No way Chad, you already got some stunners, you can't be a double contestant! :p

All the advice you gave Kath really paid off, now she has these babies running around, or should I say wiggling around. It's that water, the key to everything. ;)

Great pictures Kath, the fish look great!

Eddie

Thanks so much for your kind words Eddie, isn;t it mad to see those little fellows? They have moved them again through the night, they are now residing on the silicon at the front of the tank so lucky I got the pics when I did.
I made the pic my desktop pic - is that crazy or not!!! I don't care...words cannot explain how happy I am with all this!:D:D:D

TankWatcher
06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
That's great Kath, now we both have fry! We can be like a couple of old grandma's swapping pics of their granchildren :D

Scribbles
06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Congratulations Kath! With all of your hard work with your water you deserve it. The ultimate prize for all of your efforts. I'm so happy for you.

Chris

ste12000
06-21-2009, 04:05 AM
LOL thank you so Chad, I am not really sure you know exactly what you gave me when you walked me patiently through TDS. Thanks just never seems enough.
Last year I went through a terrible time after falling on one knee, basically I smashed it up pretty bad. First I had an arthroscope to try and clean things up and mend it but months later with still no real improvement the docs decided a full knee replacement was what I needed. Through of all of this I needed something to do at home, I was missing my weekly tennis and the social aspect of that and while I had people around me the fact I could do little that was stimulating meant I was really struggling with myself. That is when I saw my first discus in the lfs and instantly fell in love. The community tank slowly changed as I ousted the fish that would not be compatible and planned on buying more discus. Never thinking that water that was ok for other fish would not be suitable for the discus.
As you know I had many losses and at the point where I was just about to give up, I had followed everyones good instructions about the filtering the water with carbon and airating etc but nothing was changing, little did I know that each time I did a wc I was making them sicker and sicker.
when I was so low with everything you chimed in talking about TDS, I had barely heard of it I had the KH and GH test kit and thought great mine is low I can keep discus but never really knew anything more.
By your words and the time you spent with me things turned around and still today I am amazed at the miracle of life in my tank, it has given me heaps to do and I can manage better each day, it made me get motivated and read and read and read and learn and I still have the greatest pleasure of just watching them.
Everyone here has a gift to give and each time they post they post a little gift to someone in need, but truly your gift has touched my heart and it will never be forgotten.

In over four years of using various forums, that message is the best one i have ever read..That really came from the heart and is a wonderful advertisment for the hobby that we all love so much. I wish you all the luck in the world and that you continue to do well with your discus and enjoy them for many years to come..
All the best from the UK, Ste.

Mr Wild
06-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh thank you so much, great to hear from another fellow discus hobbyist from across the pond UK no less! It was from the heart Ste and he deserves it! I think so many people help each other but us fish people seem to be another breed!! LOL What can I say you just gotta love it!

Mr Wild
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
That's great Kath, now we both have fry! We can be like a couple of old grandma's swapping pics of their granchildren :D

Hey Robyn - yes we can!
Today was wc day so I did what I always do but of course I was very careful around the parents. I took out the large peice of driftwood and extended the partition so that no other fish can get past it now. I also added a few plants in their side for the babies to hide in when they are big enough.

Didn't want to disturb them any further than that, now we will just wait and see. Oh I will have to learn about BBS hatching! gawd so much excitement for this ol gran! lol:p

Congratulations Kath! With all of your hard work with your water you deserve it. The ultimate prize for all of your efforts. I'm so happy for you.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris I still have to pinch myself! lol oh well this granny is a happy granny! LOL:D:D:D

Chad Hughes
06-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Nope haven't heard a thing, but I will still have a tank if I do get chosen already thought of that LOL

Wow Kath! I knew that I was helping you with your discus, but I had no idea that the discus were keeping you motivated to get well!! I know how hard it is to get back on your feet after surgery and I know how our hobbies (discus) help us through those times. So you are correct. I had no idea what I had given you when we fixed your water issues. Now I'm even happier for you! LOL!

In over four years of using various forums, that message is the best one i have ever read..That really came from the heart and is a wonderful advertisment for the hobby that we all love so much. I wish you all the luck in the world and that you continue to do well with your discus and enjoy them for many years to come..
All the best from the UK, Ste.

Ste,

Although Kath and I have never met in person I feel that I have known her forever! I too have visited a few different forums and this one is by far the best in many ways. This forum has a family bond, great information and superior support. I love it! ;)

Mr Wild
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow Kath! I knew that I was helping you with your discus, but I had no idea that the discus were keeping you motivated to get well!! I know how hard it is to get back on your feet after surgery and I know how our hobbies (discus) help us through those times. So you are correct. I had no idea what I had given you when we fixed your water issues. Now I'm even happier for you! LOL!!

Good I am glad you "get it" now!:p

Ste,

Although Kath and I have never met in person I feel that I have known her forever!

Wierd but I do to! lollol

Today's update.

With horror I watched little wrigglers leave their silicon bed and swim towards mama then she opened her mouth and took it in!!!!!!!! I was like no way baby spit that out. She did....mega sigh of releif.... placed it back on its bed. I can relax again. LOL This is worse than having your own!:) But still soooooo exciting!!!!!!!:D:D:D

TankWatcher
06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
With horror I watched little wrigglers leave their silicon bed and swim towards mama then she opened her mouth and took it in!!!!!!!! I was like no way baby spit that out. She did....mega sigh of releif.... placed it back on its bed. I can relax again. LOL This is worse than having your own! But still soooooo exciting!!!!!!!I know that feeling of horror well. I experienced it the first time my apistos had fry. I got used to it after a while, the apisto mum does it all the time, to keep them from wandering where she doesn't want them to.

Good luck with them. I didn't know of your health issues. Glad things are turning around for you now, in more ways than one

Mr Wild
06-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks Robyn, today has been spent with them doing little swims some right around/ on her but they do not appear to be attaching as yet? Not sure what that means but I have BBS eggs being picked up tonight for me so I will try and get that going and see where that leads me.

Mr Wild
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Update:

Can only see about 6 left now, they are swinning but not attaching, mum keeps putting them back on the silicon and they just keep swimming off. Another female on the otherside of the barrier turned really dark and I say some swim through the holes to her, then she promptly ate them!

So I think I will not get any from this spawn but the good news is this is as far as we have ever gotten to I now know for sure I have a pair so when I get my other tank stands I will set them up in their own shack and go from there!
There is always a silver lining just sometimes its harder to find.:)

Chad Hughes
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Update:

Can only see about 6 left now, they are swinning but not attaching, mum keeps putting them back on the silicon and they just keep swimming off. Another female on the otherside of the barrier turned really dark and I say some swim through the holes to her, then she promptly ate them!

So I think I will not get any from this spawn but the good news is this is as far as we have ever gotten to I now know for sure I have a pair so when I get my other tank stands I will set them up in their own shack and go from there!
There is always a silver lining just sometimes its harder to find.:)

Kath,

Sorry to hear about the fry. A spawn in a community tank typically doesn't hold up too well as you are learning. :(

On a brighter note, you know you have a pair, like you said. That's great news!

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
06-22-2009, 11:15 PM
HI Chad

Oh yes I knew it was a long shot but I thought worth it to see where they got up to and yes I am very pleased with what has happened so far. Now I just need to get these juvies sorted and I will be very happy.

TankWatcher
06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Still, 6 is 6. Maybe you might be lucky with them. If not, next time - right :)

Mr Wild
06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
EXACTLY!