PDA

View Full Version : White Discus with a black bottom...

silent_thunder
06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Is that a color that will have any effect on the color of the fish...

I have another color for the back and sides...

The section here on identifying species has REALLY been fun to look at...

There is a man who won discus of the yaer last Year but I cant find it now...anyone point me the way?

Super Angel diamonds would be a second...

Then you have golden sunrises LOL on and on...

So will a black bottom effet the color of a white albino? back on thrack LOL

Thanks alot

Daniel

TankWatcher
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I've never tried black paint on the bottom, but have used it on the back wall before. Wouldn't be great for a lot of other colour varieties of discus, but I think black does look look nice against white or other albino discus varieties.

Rethinking, I have used black gravel in a planted tank before - not with discus - and I did like that.

poconogal
06-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Black will affect the color of any PB based Discus. I've also had it affect my BD (who turned navy blue) and my Eruption Leopard (darker overall). I don't think they're pigeon based. Black with Albinos is fine.

mmorris
06-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Not what I thought you were going to say. :D

poconogal
06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
:shocked2: LOL, what DID you think I was going to say? Uh, maybe PM me? LOL.

You have that calendar pic with the black background. Did you have a black bottom as well? :p What discus was that again?

Daniel, it looked just gorgeous!

mmorris
06-21-2009, 01:54 PM
They were golden albinos with sand-colored bottoms. :p

silent_thunder
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM
:shocked2: LOL, what DID you think I was going to say? Uh, maybe PM me? LOL.

You have that calendar pic with the black background. Did you have a black bottom as well? :p What discus was that again?

Daniel, it looked just gorgeous!

That was the dead one LOL...I like black and will probably do not only the bottom but the sides as well...

Certain discus would and will stand out...

I have other tanks with black gravel...and like em!

Anyways, good to see you around connie and thanks...

Daniel

mmorris
06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I'd love to see pics of the tank. :)

poconogal
06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Me too! Daniel, I used to have black gravel and black background. The tank looked gorgeous and my Cardinals just popped. Unfortunately the Discus I had just didn't fit with it. Albinos were not even out yet if I remember correctly, and the PB based I had in there... not good.

Martha's Blue Sapphires look gorgeous with black background (it is black, isn't it?). They don't darken. Are you raising fry yet, mm? Any of the Albinos, the Golden Albinos, prolly some of the really yellow fish unless they're PB based.

TankWatcher
06-21-2009, 06:32 PM
If my white pearl albinos make it out of their QT tank, they're headed for a tank with a black background

Look forward to seeing your pictures, Daniel

mmorris
06-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Martha's Blue Sapphires look gorgeous with black background (it is black, isn't it?). They don't darken. Are you raising fry yet, mm?

Thanks Connie! I think my male Saphire was making passes on the new batch of eggs last night. He's easily disturbed so I didn't get close enough to see what, exactly, was happening. This is their fourth batch, the other three weren't fertilized. So, fingers crossed. :)
Like Connie said, Blue Diamonds, Pigeon blood-based fish, some red turqs don't show up well with a black background but I have no idea how they will look with a black bottom. You might find that black bottom AND black sides is overkill. Try it with paper before you paint.

poconogal
06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
....He's easily disturbed so I didn't get close enough to see what, exactly, was happening.

Binoculars...

Like Connie said, Blue Diamonds, Pigeon blood-based fish, some red turqs don't show up well with a black background but I have no idea how they will look with a black bottom. You might find that black bottom AND black sides is overkill. Try it with paper before you paint.
I had mine with black on botton and background. They looked horrid. Regarding the sides, I agree, I'd try just the black background first or use black paper on the sides to see if its overwhelming or not.

mmorris
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Binoculars...

:D:D:D

Roxanne
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
That was the dead one LOL....
Daniel

lololol:D

I have a tank that has the bottom glass plate tinted dark....or if you lay a black plastic under the tank, it might look black without having to paint anything...I'll find you a pic later of mine...it makes my Red Melon show her freckles on her face...

Rox

silent_thunder
06-22-2009, 05:53 PM
lololol:D

I have a tank that has the bottom glass plate tinted dark....or if you lay a black plastic under the tank, it might look black without having to paint anything...I'll find you a pic later of mine...it makes my Red Melon show her freckles on her face...

Rox
NOw you tell me...after hours of painting <g>

Where ya been anyways...

<I see a red door and I want it painted black>

silent_thunder
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Me too! Daniel, I used to have black gravel and black background. The tank looked gorgeous and my Cardinals just popped. Unfortunately the Discus I had just didn't fit with it. Albinos were not even out yet if I remember correctly, and the PB based I had in there... not good.

Martha's Blue Sapphires look gorgeous with black background (it is black, isn't it?). They don't darken. Are you raising fry yet, mm? Any of the Albinos, the Golden Albinos, prolly some of the really yellow fish unless they're PB based.

There are some fish that just go good with BLACK....I did one with PINK back hahahah

Besides...Real men wear...pink.

Roxanne
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
NOw you tell me...after hours of painting <g>

Where ya been anyways...

<I see a red door and I want it painted black>

...you didn't ask lol...

....been workin....alot...:bandana:...that's me...I'm a pirate...

hmmm...something tells me you bin listenin to the Stones...

Rox

poconogal
06-23-2009, 10:25 PM
There are some fish that just go good with BLACK....I did one with PINK back hahahah

Besides...Real men wear...pink.
Uh, what shade of pink?

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
...you didn't ask lol...

....been workin....alot...:bandana:...that's me...I'm a pirate...

hmmm...something tells me you bin listenin to the Stones...

Rox

wow...beautifull TANK...

dang girl...your hubby take care of that =L= WAit~!

I know you do...

Peace...

well ya, I di grow up with the....Stones, went to one concert...Mick thinks like me...

*under my thumb* <grins>

I actually said he would open with that song in 81 abd sure enough....