PDA

View Full Version : Festivums, 101 years in the hobby

Apistomaster
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
The genus Mesonauta contains 6 named species and it is believed 2 more that have not been described yet. They were introduced to the aquarium hobby in 1908 in the first importation into Berlin. They are a much under appreciated medium sized Cichlid which has been largely displaced by the numerous newer introductions be they the African Cichlids or the endless numbers of South and central American species.
They are not exactly new to me as I once regularly stocked them when I had my fish shop circa 1970 but I recently received 10 juveniles from Al(Brew) of one of the less common species, Mesonauta acora. The visual differences among these Cichlids species are negligible and species may only be able to be distinguished by minute physical details. They all look and behave the same way.
These are the first specimens I have bought for myself to keep long term so they are new to me in a way. Al sent me small specimens as I requested, 3/4 to 1 inches long. I placed them in my 125 gal biotope Nhamunda Blue Discus aquarium. my Discus liked to be content mostly hanging out under the root like prominences of my driftwood near the bottom but this school of juvenile "Festivums" have helped draw the Discus out of their favorite lies and made them more interested in exploring their tank. I may have done too good of a job at reproducing a wild Discus habitat. The outgoing little Mesonauta are proving to be good dither fish or help send signals the Discus take as evidence that there is no danger. The Discus are now far more willing to explore outside their usual haunts.
I have only had them for a few days but I am enjoying the heck out of these little guys.
By having 10 small F1 juveniles, I am able to see them behave very naturally in this well furnished large tank. I look forward to studying their social interactions as they grow.

Whether or not they will make suitable tank mates for wild Discus once they grow to maturity only time will tell. They generally have a good reputation for not being very aggressive. They do not dig holes in the sand and leave most plants alone much like Discus and Angelfish.
but they have been known to assert themselves. They love to eat Neon Tetras in the wild.
They normally do not bother plants and in nature are commonly found along with Angelfish and even Discus. They share much in common with wild Angelfish.
Mesonauta acora is not at all common in the hobby. Most available specimens are M. festiva and M. insignis. If they sound like a fish that interests you then you should check in with the brewster; he has a bunch of them and they are a perfect size to ship. He has M. acora which come from Brazil's Rio Araguaia and tributaries. This stream flows south to north to it's confluence with the main Amazon.

plecocicho
06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Pics?:D
And i agree they are much unpreciated in todays hobby...

CBZOO
06-23-2009, 06:27 AM
yeah I really aggree I bought a couple of them as juvies... Lost ne to a horendous bout of ICH and now I have a lone Festivmum right now.. I would love to get a breeding tank of them together. As an adult my version has a wonderfull blue neon stripe arround his eye and just above on his forhead. then the little orage spot on the tail. Really sectacular little fish! Nice and gentle. I wouldnow have to get a small group of them and row them out to try and get a pair of the same species..

Disgirl
06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
And they are long lived! I have one in my angel tank who is at least 11 years old and shows no sign of slowing down. It will eat a live plant leaf that floats but never one that is still attached and never bothers other fish.
Barbara :)

poconogal
06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I had one years ago in a community tank -- appointed itself as the protector of any smaller/weaker fish that a jewel cichlid would bully. Amazing to see him put himself between the jewel and the other fish and chase the jewel away, every single time! He would also jump up to take its food from my fingers! One day I will reopen a community tank (when we finish the basement) and I'll get one again.

Apistomaster
06-23-2009, 04:43 PM
What an interesting experience you related.
When and if you do try more Festivum, I urge you to get 6 or so because that is how you will really get to know what Mesonauta are like. They are much like Angelfish but certainly not the same. They have their own unique ways and only in a social setting will you truly get to see all their behaviors.

I have read that Mesonauta spp love to eat pond snails. I have plenty of pond snails in my wild discus/Mesonauta 125 gal tank so I am looking forward to them growing large enough to eat them, if they will. The pond snails and their empty shells have been regularly clogging the strainer in my 1200 gph CPR over flow siphon so I regularly have to shake them out to restore the normal flow. If I am not careful to do this routinely the tank can overflow. This would be an unmitigated disaster in my living room.
If the Mesonauta are able to eventually eliminate my pond snails I will be much relieved.