PDA

View Full Version : HOB filters...

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
How often do you clean them? Like bleaching all the parts, etc...

Also, the bio media...how long is it good for...I use Eheim substrate and then top it with some angel floss...

Sponges are cheap so I am not worried about tossin` those...

Thanks ahead of time...

A man with no shoes now because of these FISH...:bandana:

Eddie
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
How often do you clean them? Like bleaching all the parts, etc...

Also, the bio media...how long is it good for...I use Eheim substrate and then top it with some angel floss...

Sponges are cheap so I am not worried about tossin` those...

Thanks ahead of time...

A man with no shoes now because of these FISH...:bandana:

What sponges are you tossing, those are the best part for the bacteria colony! What type of filter do you have?

I normally break mine down every 2 weeks in my juvie tanks, maybe a few days sooner. It all depends on how you feed, what you feed. Also, I don't break them down and use any bleach on them. I just clean the filter parts in tap water.

I rinse all the media and sponges in a bucket of tank water.

One essential item for every HOB or Canister is a prefilter. It will keep any large particles from fouling in your filter and reducing water quality.

Eddie

Eddie
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Oops, forgot to answer the part about how long media is good for.

FOREVER! Media such as Eheim substrate is good forever man. Its basically just a surface for bacteria to colonize and it won't degrade or fall apart.

Eddie

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Thats what I like 411 by you men!

The sponges are in the bottom of the aquaclear filters....should I just rinse em and use em over?

I know nothin` LOL...except...going to bed at night looking at my tanks makes me sleep with a smile on my face...

So far...LOL

Thanks gentlemen

Daniel

poconogal
06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Daniel, I used my big old AC500 (now the AC110) since 1993 and I still use it on my QT. I cleaned it every two weeks.

Don't toss those sponges out, Aquaclear uses those sponges for the bio filter. Just squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water, along with your other bio media. I used the same sponge for years and years. The rest of the filter, the box, the holder that holds the media, the impeller and impeller well, and filter tubes you can just rinse under warm/hot water and use some filter brushes or a new toothbrush to get film, mulm off.

I tried using a prefilter on the AC500 but it interfered with water intake. Don't know if it was because the filter is old (it does have a new impeller though) or if it just should not be used on that filter.

So, do you like the 411 from a woman, too? LOL LOL LOL :D

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Daniel, I used my big old AC500 (now the AC110) since 1993 and I still use it on my QT. I cleaned it every two weeks.

Don't toss those sponges out, Aquaclear uses those sponges for the bio filter. Just squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water, along with your other bio media. I used the same sponge for years and years. The rest of the filter, the box, the holder that holds the media, the impeller and impeller well, and filter tubes you can just rinse under warm/hot water and use some filter brushes or a new toothbrush to get film, mulm off.

I tried using a prefilter on the AC500 but it interfered with water intake. Don't know if it was because the filter is old (it does have a new impeller though) or if it just should not be used on that filter.

So, do you like the 411 from a woman, too? LOL LOL LOL :D

Whoops...I had that comming...

A man who says he wears the pants in the house I may question LOL...why I am single!

Since we use the same filters thanks...no since in throwing out the sponge filters again! Thanks, Connie...

Another *thing* two add every two weeks...greattttttt~

My tropicals are being neglected so.....since I hade a unexpecter kneww op last Monday...I think I shall go clean their tanks....

Thx Connie...I listened LOL....for a...change <snickers>

Daniel

Roxanne
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
...ok, I'll bite...what's a "411"? ...is that like a code sign? like my all time favourite "10-4" or is it a statute or something you call the cops for...help, i just got 4 11'd?

Rox:)

rickztahone
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
...ok, I'll bite...what's a "411"? ...is that like a code sign? like my all time favourite "10-4" or is it a statute or something you call the cops for...help, i just got 4 11'd?

411 = Information

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

So now you KNOW what 411 means, that being said from what I have observed here...

You need to call 911! <g>

D

Roxanne
06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
my head hurts...too much 411...:D

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
my head hurts...too much 411...:D

LOL..ok 911 means an emergency....some are for MENTAL issues <hint hint> they come in padded amblences...those made in the 50`s....speeding with sirens blaring...

Well...something like that...

Only for you, Rox...

Roxanne
06-23-2009, 09:50 PM
...and jackets that do up at the back;)

poconogal
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Daniel, you are the most recent recipient of

:smash:

That is for snickering up above, even though you listened, this time. :p

silent_thunder
06-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Daniel, you are the most recent recipient of

:smash:

That is for snickering up above, even though you listened, this time. :p

NO hammer will knock sense into ME...I baffle therapist, psycologist and even a few psychatrist...thats a hard word to spell...

I usully messed with THEIR heads....they are easy, man...LOL

silent_thunder
06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
...and jackets that do up at the back;)

Ya THOSE kinda jackets!

I have one LOL...

Tsk Tsk

Peachtree Discus
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
....what's a "411"? ...is that like a code sign? like my all time favourite "10-4" or is it a statute or something you call the cops for...help, i just got 4 11'd?

411 = Information

i just got 411'd. :D that's funny. 411 is a phone number to some information service.....like, you need an address...dial 411.

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 03:16 PM
While we are at it.. Don't forget the 211.

poconogal
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
While we are at it.. Don't forget the 211.

Okay, now I'll bite... what's the 211?

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
211 exists in most cities as a resource for human services. United way used to have the "Resource Guide" but the 211 is the new system.