PDA

View Full Version : Grade A AA AAA throwbacks..

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
WHich is of better quality in the A section and what is a throwback...

Thx

rickztahone
06-24-2009, 05:11 AM
AAA tows cars and AA is a community that helps people get off drinking, lol...sorry had to do it. AAA would be best but usually breeders would only refer to them as A Grade or show grade, one or the other. as far as throwback goes, it has to do with breeding programs and genetics. it confuses me most of the time so i will not even try to explain it. i'm sure another member can chime in here and help you out

silent_thunder
06-24-2009, 08:19 AM
AAA tows cars and AA is a community that helps people get off drinking, lol...sorry had to do it. AAA would be best but usually breeders would only refer to them as A Grade or show grade, one or the other. as far as throwback goes, it has to do with breeding programs and genetics. it confuses me most of the time so i will not even try to explain it. i'm sure another member can chime in here and help you out

All the people I helped in AA got drunk LOL....but....thanks.

Then it has to be A or show....

poconogal
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
AAA tows cars and AA is a community that helps people get off drinking, lol...sorry had to do it.
Rick, ROFLMAO!! :D

I think a lot of places will call a specific Discus an A grade fish but it really doesn't have much meaning anyway. I've seen Discus being listed as A grade that were off shape, or heavily peppered, arrow faced, had a saddle, etc. But of course they aren't going to say they are B or C grade! I wouldn't pay too much attention to those grades, there are no laws that say a Discus MUST meet a certain criteria to be labeled A grade, etc. so there's nothing stopping anyone from calling any Discus Grade A. You just need to know what to look for in a quality Discus and go by that.

Throwback... like Rick said...

mmorris
06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Even the people who appear to be most reputable will sell you culls if you say you are looking for grade A and they want to make a sale. Specify that you are looking for a round body, no beak, no stunting, red eye, and other qualities that you might have in mind. Bear in mind that no discus is perfect, and I could find a `fault' on any one.

poconogal
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
What Martha said is absolutely true. However, if MM above says Grade A, they are! I've seen some of her juvies that she delivered to a guy in NJ while visiting me. Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful and already great shaped babies.

mmorris
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Connie! :)

poconogal
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
You're welcome, I'm just speaking the truth, I know you are super picky about what you raise.

YSS
06-24-2009, 09:25 AM
So, what is a throwback? I have three throwbacks. I like them, but I have no idea what that means. :)

Jhhnn
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Many varieties of discus don't breed 100% true to form wrt color and pattern- a % of the fry will have the characteristics of fish from an earlier stage in the breeder's scheme of what they're trying to achieve- "throwbacks" to an earlier type.

It happens with any domesticated creatures...

I'm sure many breeders do grade their fish, tailor their offerings to different market segments, but most of what we see in that regard is marketing hype... There are no standards other than the breeder's own.

rickztahone
06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Kenny and Forest also have also have high standards and when they tell you something is Grade A, believe it is Grade A indeed. our sponsors are really an asset to this forum

bs6749
06-24-2009, 06:22 PM
From what I've gathered, the term "throwback" usually means that the throwbacks/fry have parents that won't produce a particular strain. For instance, the fry produced from the cross of a blue diamond and a golden albino would be labeled as "blue diamond x golden albino throwbacks". Commonly seen are white butterfly x white scorpion throwbacks, etc. The fry have the genes of the parents though they may not look close to them. I think some of the white butterfly throwbacks are really pretty. Generally the term "throwback" is used to label an "undesireable" discus in that it isn't as "eye catching" as some other strains. Like I said, there are some cool ones IMO.

Elite Aquaria
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
If I breed a Red Melon to a Red White...the results would be some so so Red Melons , Some Red Whites with more intense red and some Pigeon bloods. The desired fish would obviously be the Red Whites with more intense red...The throwback in this case would be the Pigeon Bloods...

The term Throwback does not necessarily refer to an undesirable trait but rather back to the origins of the original crossing of a fish...

Grading is a touchy subject as stated above...the thing to remember is that it is very subjective. My A grade may be your AA grade. conversely, what you call an A grade may be my B grade. So you see it depends on the reputation of the breeder/seller. As pointed out when Kenny/Forrest label a fish A grade expect nothing but the best.

Jhhnn
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
The term Throwback does not necessarily refer to an undesirable trait but rather back to the origins of the original crossing of a fish...

I think that's an accurate way of describing the situation. From what I can gather, breeding two fish of the same strain won't necessarily give offspring that are 100% like the parents. Two checkerboard turqs will throw some regular red turqs, two tiger snakeskins will throw some regular snakeskins, even some regular turqs, depending- so forth and so on. Some strains, like blue diamonds, apparently breed quite true, giving few if any throwbacks...