PDA

View Full Version : Purple Knights

killimaniaco
06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Hello:

I recently bought 6 small discus. Three of them are "Purple Knights", I have been trying to get additional information on this strain name and all I have found is that it is a variation someone produced originally in Ohio and that it is not very common to find discus identified as this.

My question is... what can I expect when I breed them? Are there other color varieties that will mix better with them? What can I expect if one of them pairs up with one of my blues?

I am a seasoned fish keeper/breeder but an absolute discus newbie. You can see my 6 discus on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_U1Dv21Dg

Thanks,

Pablo
Ponce, Puerto Rico

bluesky5683
06-24-2009, 12:00 AM
first of all, from what I known, discus doesnt have purple genes with them. why? I dunno. I think I heard that from Kenny. second, your discus in youtube look like BD or ghost type! third, dont let the fashion name fools you, because my friend experience that before, he saw a discus name purple diamond on Rainforest Internatiional Discus website and he bought it, when he got the fish he showed it to me and it look exacly like BD to me so I never trust other sources from outside and I will feel more comfortable to deal with the sponsor in SIMPLY DISCUS!!!

ShinShin
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
There are no "healthy" purple discus. Blue discus fed with tons of red enhancers do not turn purple, either. Many have tried to develope a purple discus, none have succeeded to date that I am aware. Beware of anyone claiming to sell them. No sponsors here have made that claim as far as I know.

Mat

killimaniaco
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

I got the fish from a local breeder which is the only semi-commercial breeding operation serving local petshops. He got his as Purple Knights and kept selling them just like that. When I looked at his adult fish, when I visited him a few weeks after I bought mine.... they seemed like pale blue diamonds.

He gave me an excellent price for me to get started with Discus, I worked the deal over the phone without laying eyes on the fish. I just asked for 6 healthy discus of the ones that were at $10 each. Thats exactly what I got, I just didn't get the naming thing figured out. I have had them for a little over a month and they are very healthy and eating like pigs. A couple weeks back I got a chance to visit this breeder and got to see thousands of discus of all sizes at his home.

Since I am a discus newbie I wanted to keep costs to a minimum until finding out for myself that discus are not hard at all, they just need a little bit extra attention. I am actually very surprised to have them eat out of my hand and they have also eating everything I have thrown in their tank. They get 20% water change every morning after the first feeding and a 50% on saturdays followed by a paper towel wipe of their tank.

I have been reading this forum for a while now. Sometimes I wish I have found it before I got my fish. This site has shattered many discus myths I have read over the years.

Thanks a lot!

poconogal
06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Check out this thread on purple Discus and see posts #8 and #27: http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=57012&highlight=purple+knight

Also, check this one out: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=51742

killimaniaco
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Connie!

I will start calling mine ghosts from now on. What can I expect if I breed them to the blues? Is there an online detailed reference about discus genetics? I would like to know what may come out of the ones I have and what can be improved.

Are there standards for showing Discus? A show discus club or something? I am thinking something like the International Betta Congress or IFGA (guppies) type "Standards of Perfection" for discus, interms of form and color.

Pablo

Elite Aquaria
06-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Are there standards for showing Discus? A show discus club or something? I am thinking something like the International Betta Congress or IFGA (guppies) type "Standards of Perfection" for discus, interms of form and color.

Pablo

Pablo,

Unfortunately no...

Ed13
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
There are no "healthy" purple discus. Blue discus fed with tons of red enhancers do not turn purple, either. Many have tried to spawn a purple discus, none have succeeded to date that I am aware. Beware of anyone claiming to sell them. No sponsors here have made that claim as far as I know.

Mat

You are right, these are just an unsuccessful attemp at a purple discus, just a cross with red whites and blue diamonds if I remember correctly

killimaniaco
06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Ed... noticed you are from PR too... where exactly are you located?

What can be done with them in terms of getting offspring that is of a recognized color. Given that there are no official standards... what are the most desirable characteristics in discus? I know they have to be as round as possible and have nice and high fins... what else is there to look for?

rickztahone
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks Connie!

...Is there an online detailed reference about discus genetics? I would like to know what may come out of the ones I have and what can be improved.

Pablo

Andrew Soh's latest book talks a lot about discus genetics. it's one of the best discus reads i have ever come across. it's about $100 shipped from Singapore

rickztahone
06-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey Ed... noticed you are from PR too... where exactly are you located?

What can be done with them in terms of getting offspring that is of a recognized color. Given that there are no official standards... what are the most desirable characteristics in discus? I know they have to be as round as possible and have nice and high fins... what else is there to look for?

body shape is by far one of the best things to look for. second, probably pattern, or maybe just the general strain you chose. striations, color intensity, iris color and relation to the rest of the head area. no washed out patterns throughout the body,...and many many more. you can go over to the discus university on this same site and check out how our valued SD University Board judges based on different criteria.

killimaniaco
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Was just checking the university... I am anxious for mine to grow up and submit them to be judged :-). Thanks a lot for the reply.

yogi
07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
This is the judging form that NADA uses. www.discusnada.org It was created by Dick Au and can show you things to look for in discus. It's ridicules how many different names there are for discus. One of the main things is to make sure the discus you buy are healthy and have a good shape.