PDA

View Full Version : Ooops!

Darrell Ward
06-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a pair in a breeding tank that has spawned on the heater tube even though they have other good spawning sites in the tank. Oh well. My concern is that they may get burned on the heater when it comes on. I would just turn that heater off and use a spare one, but that heater is my only working spare at this time. Is a fish getting burned on a heater tube a legitimate concern, or am I just paranoid? I'm thinking maybe I should just wipe the eggs from the tube. Thoughts?

shawnhu
06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I would use a spare heater and turn that one off. If you are in need of the spare, then you can decide to wipe or not. Another alternative would be to point a powerhead at the heater to reduce the chance of burns.

kpotter2
06-25-2009, 12:29 AM
The best advice I can tell you to do is, Put the heater Horizontal not Vertical. If it is vertical then it becomes a great place to lay eggs. If it is horizontal then It become less desirable and they will pbly not use it. If they did use it and its already horizontal then this will not work for you...

This happened with my first spawn a year ago and I used this technique and they never used it again. I did unplug the heater they spawned on,because the female can burn her tube on the heater if its on when she lays eggs, so try to get them to not do it if you can. Put something in front of it if it was already horizontal. Just do what you can to make it not a good place for them to lay.

Hope this helps

Kyle