PDA

View Full Version : Japura Discus

Fanie Jordaan
06-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Is the Japura (http://www.goslinea.com/Gallerie/Diskuswildf%E4nge/Seiten/Gr%FCn_Japura.htm) a regional variant of symphysodon aequifasciatus haraldi or
symphysodon aequifasciatus axelrodi?

Thanking you.

Fanie Jordaan

Heiko Bleher
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just wanted to tell you that
1. There is no such fish as S. aequifasciatus haraldi, nor S. ae. axelrodi.
This classification is outdated, latest since 1986 - see Kullander, 1986, and Bleher et al. 2007, as well as in my book Bleher's Discus volume I, where you have everything about wilds is updated including 280 variants with precise locations.
2. You can also go to the only other source of scientific updated information, which is the California Academy of Sience and the link to the valit species is:
http://research.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/fishcatmain.asp
those are the valid name of the genus today.

Bst regards

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Fanie Jordaan
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just wanted to tell you that
1. There is no such fish as S. aequifasciatus haraldi, nor S. ae. axelrodi.
This classification is outdated, latest since 1986 - see Kullander, 1986, and Bleher et al. 2007, as well as in my book Bleher's Discus volume I, where you have everything about wilds is updated including 280 variants with precise locations.
2. You can also go to the only other source of scientific updated information, which is the California Academy of Sience and the link to the valit species is:
http://research.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/fishcatmain.asp
those are the valid name of the genus today.

Bst regards

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Thanking you so much Heiko.

This certainly explains a whole lot of questions I had on wilds...
Just ordered your book and can't wait to lay my hands on it.
Thanking you again for your response and assisting me in my puristic ignorance...

Regards,

Fanie Jordaan

Heiko Bleher
07-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Fanie,

Thank you very much, I am sure you will like it. And comments are always welcome.

I only wish more people would consider the actual classification and name these beautiful fishes correct.

Keep up the good work and take care of your fishes - as in nature -

always from a nature lover,

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
PS: Have alook at the amazing nature-like botanical gardens in Perth on my site - DREAMTIME

Fanie Jordaan
08-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Dear Heiko,

I received your publication some time ago - what an absolute work of art.
The amount of information is astonishing - not only on discus but on the Amazon in general - worth every penny and an absolute must for anyone interested in Discus irrespective of wilds or hybrids.

Your book changed my entire outlook on the species, their habitat and dieet.

I am just exceptionally surprised that more mention is not made of this fantastic publication - well done - a true reflection of your dedication to the species and conservation in general.

With regards to the second publication - how often would new strains be bread which would have to be added to the publication?
I am most interested in obtaining a copy - as you mentioned in your publication - there are few, if any breeders in Africa leaving us starved for good quality discus...

Kindest regards,

Fanie Jordaan

Heiko Bleher
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Dear Fanie,

thank you very much for your kind words, I appreciate some one like you, who can see the work and research I have put into this. The very same is happening (right now) with volume II as well. And you know, because I wrote so much about Amazonia (having been there more than anywhere else), the INPA (Brazilain Institute of Amazonia, you can read in my book about them), say translated it into Portuguese, because they say no one has written so much and in such detail about the past and present of Amazonia...

Business people said I should have made 10 books out of volume I, but I never think of business this way. If it is a book, or a lecture, a expedition or an exhibition, I always think first to give the epopl that what I would want to have..., what I would like to read, what I would like to hear and see...

Maybe I am different (I hope), but anyone can do the same, if he wants...
I am very happy also that it changed your outlook on the species, their habitat and diet, that is also what I wanted do bring - the facts. Also because I had by the time I published it about 1000 discus books from around the world in my library, but there was so much missing in all of them, and hardly a single one had written about the discus in the wild and their facts (hardly anyone of the writers ever went to Amazonia and those who did just a very few times... and none did research ever of their nutrition, that is why I researched hundreds of stomach and guts...).

About "more mention is not made of this fantastic publication" : it has been mentioned and exclusively very highly around the globe (otherwise it would not have already been translated to 11 languages), but remember: there are always people out there who know it all, and often better, that is why they would never read such a big book...or deny it.

And conservation in general is what I am aiming more than ever. I have also done extensive research in your country about those freshwater habitas (and in another 164 countries) and it is terrible what man around the world is doing to the freshwater habitats - the source of our (and every) life form.

The DISCUS I bring after volume II, again just pages on the new breeding forms, additional discoveries, and just where from (which location, breeder). And that will be added on?

Is there now anyone breeding in SA?

Thank you again and all the best, I remain with
kindest regards,

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Fanie Jordaan
03-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Dear Fanie,
The DISCUS I bring after volume II, again just pages on the new breeding forms, additional discoveries, and just where from (which location, breeder). And that will be added on?

Is there now anyone breeding in SA?
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Dear Heiko,

1) Based on my impressions of your first publication “Bleher’s Discus – Volume 1”, I proceeded to purchase “Discus, wild-caught and captive-bred forms by Heiko Bleher and Manfred Göbel”. Again a highly recommend publication worth much more than the actual cost – well done – you are providing hobbyist and professionals alike with invaluable information which is nowhere else to be found in such a well thought through and quality publication. I do however have a question - the last updates were published in 1999/2000? Since the last update, I believe a substantial number of new wild forms and well accepted captive bred forms were discovered and developed respectively. Are you planning an update at some point in time, either in a new publication or as an addition to the existing publication?

2) You also raise a question about breeders in South Africa. I can categorically state that, despite the excellent entrepreneurial and innovative characteristics displayed by a large number of South Africans, there are no commercial breeders of discus in this country. There are the occasional hobbyists who have successful spawns but only one which I am aware of has demonstrated his capability to raise quality fry to marketable discus. We are thus – with the one exception above - solely dependant on international imports for our discus. This is highly frustrating especially when one is looking for wilds caught discus or direct offspring of wild caught discus. Speaking of which, are you aware of any F1 or other Fx offspring of wild discus currently available in the market through a reputable exporter?

Thanking you again for your most informative and well appreciated publications.

Fanie Jordaan

Heiko Bleher
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Dear Fanie,

sorry for the very late answer, but I was in the US receiving the fellowship at the Explorer's Club Annual Diner at the Waldof Astoria (and the vice President said never in their 106 years of existance and from anyone of their 3000plus members, has anyone done not even niearly as meny expeditions as I did... what a honour).

Fanie, the best breeder of F1s in Germany you can find under
Guenther Schneider (who probably will not ship, but you can buy from him there, south of Frankfurt am Main); and
Piwarowski;
Sure you find them in the web, if not let me know.

Those two I can guarantee are good and always use wild blood.

Thanks for the nice words and also for the information of SA breeders.

I wish you all the very best with the upcoming Soccer event (to which I always went, only the the world cups around the globe, only not the last two and for this one have no time, but one day I will come back and visit you and your discus for sure, while collecting the most southern African fishes again...)

always

Heiko Bleher