PDA

View Full Version : CO2 setup

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 08:39 AM
My plants are growing slowly in my current setup and I am going to give co2 a try. Is the Milwakee MA957 and SMS122 a good combo to start? I feel like I am spending a lot on those Seachem Excel.

My setup is a 90 gal with 4 65watts CF.

rbarn
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
They work.

Considered putting the money towards a base model full Controller ?

$100 for cheap Co2 controller

or

$280 for very good full controller.
Control temp, fans, lights, Co2/ph , data log, pumps, better timers
control lights, fans and heater based on tank temps.

I love my Neptune Systems Aqua Controller Jr., very neat little box.

The extra $180 spent on it opens lots of neat features.
Like say pausing the pumps during feeding ?
or light timers auto adjust by season ?
and tank temps auto adjust by season ?

Just something to think about if taking the step up to a "high tech"
with injected Co2.

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Is this the controller you are referring to?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem~idproduct~NS1155~child~NS1155~utm_sour ce~mdcsegooglebase~utm_medium~cse~utm_term~NS1155~ utm_content~NeptuneSystemsAquaControllerJrwithSeri alPortTemperatureProbe~utm_campaign~mdcse~site~goo gle_base~tab~1.html

I don't really mind spending the extra up front. I ultimately want to automate this tank.

Thanks

Van

rbarn
06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Is this the controller you are referring to?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem~idproduct~NS1155~child~NS1155~utm_sour ce~mdcsegooglebase~utm_medium~cse~utm_term~NS1155~ utm_content~NeptuneSystemsAquaControllerJrwithSeri alPortTemperatureProbe~utm_campaign~mdcse~site~goo gle_base~tab~1.html

I don't really mind spending the extra up front. I ultimately want to automate this tank.

Thanks

Van

This one
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~NS1165~idCategor y~FITEMOMI~category~Multi_Item_Monitors___Controll ers-Monitors___Controllers-Testing_Equipment-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Same thing but with the controllable power strip that you
plug everything into. $225

Then you have to buy a $60 Ph probe and $2 calibration fluids for probe.

If you really want to get cool and have the money ......

Neptune Systems just brought out their "Apex" system.
VERY cool system for $500. Should be available any day now.
http://www.neptunesys.com/~clp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=40
http://www.viddler.com/explore/reefbuilders/videos/11/

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow.. that's probably going to be a little overkill for me. I love integration stuff but way too many features for me.

So the DC8 is required for controll each of the individual outlet? I figured that I won't need the PH probe since I currently use the PinPoint PH monitor.
The computer interface feature will be nice cause I could probably hook it up to an old laptop. I can pretty much control any PC in my home remotely with a Netbook.

What about the regulator? Is the Milwakee one OK? Do I need anything else beside a CO2 tank?

rbarn
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Right, DC8 plugs into the Aqua Jr. and controls all your on/off's

Yep your pinpoint probe should swap over fine.

Regulator is a regulator, i think
There is some debate on needle valves and which to use.

I use a RedSea unit myself. Seems to work fine.

shoggoth43
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Alternately, sink the money into a solid regulator and needle valve. A good regulator will make for consistent flow and the needle valve will give you a lot of adjustment which you won't have with the cheaper units. The milwaukee regulator also has a complicated tank changeover procedure from what I remember of the instructions. The good ones go something like --> No need to fiddle with regulator settings > Turn off tank > Swap tank > Turn on new tank > enjoy. Control can be done with a complicated deal, or just swap the controller out for a decent timer until you decide to go nuts with a full aquarium controller later on. This has fewer moving parts as it were in that if your probe gets miscalibrated you could be dumping a lot more or less CO2 than you intend. The other method will only dump CO2 when you tell the timer to be on and you'll only need it ~when the lights are on.

-
S

Consigliere
06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
My personal opinion is that if you are going to spend $$ on pressurized CO2 setup, the regulator is where to spend the money. A lower quality regulator/needle valve setup can cause tank dumping which will possibly wipe out all your fish. This is an expensive lesson to learn. I have heard mixed reviews on Milwaukee regulators. I personally am using Victor Dual stage and am happy with this. I have a Milwaukee controller but am not currently using it, instead just using drop checker because I know that with the low flow CO2 I am using the controller will never turn the solenoid off so I just use a timer.

I have seen a big impact of using CO2 on my plants though. Was using 6X DIY Co2 and had some algae issues and not great growth. Put in the pressurized system and virtually no algae now and great growth. Some plants grow an inch a day or more and by the end of the day the top of the tank has a film of O2 bubbles.

The Neptune controller is a good idea but if the question is good regulator or controller that does more than just pH, I would go with a good regulator.