PDA

View Full Version : Throwing frozen food into tank to feed...

silent_thunder
06-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Ok to do or not...I usually rinse mine...the problem

bloodworms float to the top...so half are wasted...

a few homemade foods...well, lets say the water looks like pond water when I rinse and toss...

Yes I do daily water changes...ya all taught me THAT early on...

D

poconogal
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Daniel, here's some 411 from a woman :p :D

I use the FBW cubes and just toss em in the tank. When they hit the water they immediately begin to defrost, and the Discus grab the cubes and pull chunks off. Some of them will even make off with the cube and the others give chase to grab some, LOL. :D I've never had any issues doing it this way. You can also toss the cubes into a worm cone and the Discus will learn to eat from that. It keeps the FBW from spreading all around the tank. I used to do that but then said, bleh, why bother?

HTH,
Connie

Edit: The FBWs scatter all around for all fish to eat as the cubes are mouthed by some Discus and as they defrost, so no one ever goes hungry!

Don Trinko
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I thaw mine but most of the breeder/dealers that I know put them in frozen.
It does not appear to matter to the fish. I prefer to thaw so that I can scatter the FBW around and all the fish get a chance to get some. Don T.

Daniella
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
My discus scatter them nicely for me when one grab the cube and swim around with it with an army behind it trying to steel the cube. :)

I thaw mine but most of the breeder/dealers that I know put them in frozen.
It does not appear to matter to the fish. I prefer to thaw so that I can scatter the FBW around and all the fish get a chance to get some. Don T.

DarkSide
06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I take the food frozen, wave it in the tank while the fish peck furiously at me, and let it go when its thawed so it will sink and not get pulled into the overflow. Been doing it for year and the fish expect it.

Jhhnn
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I take the food frozen, wave it in the tank while the fish peck furiously at me, and let it go when its thawed so it will sink and not get pulled into the overflow. Been doing it for year and the fish expect it.

Pretty much my routine, too.

I feed only 1 really messy food- my first batch of Eddie's seafood mix- the fish are nuts for it... that's ~half an hour before the daily water change... don't think I got the mix quite right...

Little cubes? well, maybe 4-6 at a time... my 8 fish are now ~5", and the larger ones will just gulp down a whole cube by themselves... Chomp!

Peachtree Discus
06-25-2009, 11:21 AM
...here's some 411 from a woman :p :D
:D:D

D: looks like you may be branded with that one for a while ;)

Most of the time i chuck it in frozen. I will thaw it if i want them eat faster (right before big water change). IME, thawing it occasionally seems to help encourage a feeding frenzy

Harriett
06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
If half of your bloodworms are floaters, can I ask what brand you are buying? I have tried a couple brands over the years and occasionally hit either a brand or a batch that had high # of floaters and also looked a little washed out color wise. I dumped those, my guys never ate them very well. I buy only Hikari [they aren't paying me, though I wish they would]--they are solid and dependable quality wise. I buy 1 pound flats by the case or half case, smack the flat with a hammer, and throw chunks into the worm feeder so they are not sucked all over the tank and get lost in the plants before the discus scarf them up. Works great. Got a bully? Put 2 worm cups in at opposite ends of the tank.
Best regards
HArriett

Darrell Ward
06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think there is a good reason to thaw. 84 degree water thaws frozen food almost immediately. Some say they thaw to drain the nitrate laden liquid off first. Who cares, discus keepers change so much water anyway, that this is a non factor.

j_li8
06-25-2009, 08:24 PM
yup i just toss it in frozen and within about 10-20 seconds its all broken up. in my juvi angel tank it never hits the bottom.

Mr Wild
06-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Yep exactly in my adult tank I never have any left to land on the sand!

rickztahone
06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
my discus have been conditioned to eat from a worm cone. i have two and the bullies usually go to one cone while the more docile ones eat at the other. the mess is almost non-existent. i also feed brine shrimp in there by the San Francisco brand. everything else i just throw into the tank and it thaws out while they eat it.