PDA

View Full Version : What to use to incorporate sufficient fibre?

Sandip
06-26-2009, 05:29 AM
What shall i use to incorporate sufficient amount of fibre in to my fish's diet?
I have read that adding of blanched Spinach to BHM is good for addition of fibre, but since its hot summer months here, its not available now.

Can the below items be used as a source of fiber?
1. Carrot?
2. Wheat Bran?
3. White Oat?
4. ?????

Anything else? How much in quantity?
Please help me with your suggestions.

Eddie
06-26-2009, 05:41 AM
What shall i use to incorporate sufficient amount of fibre in to my fish's diet?
I have read that adding of blanched Spinach to BHM is good for addition of fibre, but since its hot summer months here, its not available now.

Can the below items be used as a source of fiber?
1. Carrot?
2. Wheat Bran?
3. White Oat?
4. ?????

Anything else? How much in quantity?
Please help me with your suggestions.

I've used dry baby oatmeal before, actually just started adding it back into a mix I make for my young juvies.

Eddie

Sandip
06-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Eddie it you be really nice of you, if you mention the proportion in which you mix baby oatmeal.
Also do u use it as a binder or as a source of fibre or both?

Anyone else with any other suggestions?:)

Eddie
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Eddie it you be really nice of you, if you mention the proportion in which you mix baby oatmeal.
Also do u use it as a binder or as a source of fibre or both?

Anyone else with any other suggestions?:)

I use a ripe banana for the binder, it holds really well if the banana is super ripened.

As far as baby oatmeal, hard to say the amount since it will depend on the amount of mix you are making. I basically add 2 tablespoons to my recipe. I will add the link in second.

Here is the link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69130

HTH
Eddie

Sandip
06-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks Eddie for the link.
It was really helpful.

By the way, my real questions is not the binder. It is: What to use to incorporate sufficient fibre?

Any suggestion in that regard?

Eddie
06-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks Eddie for the link.
It was really helpful.

By the way, my real questions is not the binder. It is: What to use to incorporate sufficient fibre?

Any suggestion in that regard?

LOL, I know...I use baby oatmeal for additional fibre and banana as a binder. ;)

Eddie

melon9
07-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Try psyllium husk, its a water soluble fibre. U can search the website for more infor though. http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Herbal/Research/psyllium.htm
I use 1tsp psyllium husk soak in 3tbs water for 5mins, in a 1kg BH mix.

Sandip
07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Thank you melon. Nice suggestion.

Roxanne
07-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Connie (poconogal)gives hers shelled peas.....brine shrimp is a good source of roughage also...

Rox

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Becareful in adding excessive amount of fiber. Discus are primarily carnivores and because of that, cant handle very much fiber. When it comes to nutrient absorption and retention time in the gut, less is better.

-Ryan

shawnhu
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought a long digestive track indicates that Discus are more herbivores than they are carnivores. Maybe Omnivores at best. They tend to love eating my duckweed.

Sandip
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Becareful in adding excessive amount of fiber. Discus are primarily carnivores and because of that, cant handle very much fiber. When it comes to nutrient absorption and retention time in the gut, less is better.

-Ryan

Yes Ryan, I will keep that in mind. I have made the BHM and have added a little spinach, green peas and baby oat meal as roughage. All in small quantities.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought a long digestive track indicates that Discus are more herbivores than they are carnivores. Maybe Omnivores at best. They tend to love eating my duckweed.

Discus, especially fry, have a very short intestinal tract that is similar to trout and other carnivorous species. If the gut length is equal to or less than the total length of the fish, it is primarily carnivorous. Most adults are right around a 1:1 ratio.

-Ryan