PDA

View Full Version : Tip of top fin turning white?

discolove
06-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Basically what the topic says. On my royal blue discus, a couple of the very tips of his top fin are turning white. It started out with one tip and now another is turning white. They aren't white spots on the fins, the tips themselves turned white. What could I be looking at here? I really can't give any more information because thats all I have.

Eddie
06-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Actually, there is a lot more info to give. Please copy and paste the questionnaire into a post and answer all the questions. Additionally, pictures are a great help.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

HTH
Eddie

discolove
06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Ok......

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started.

Tips of a couple of the fins are turning white. They are not spots, the tip is actually white. It started on just one fin and now there are two. It doesn't look horrible but doesn't seem right.

2. Symptoms
What I answered in question 1. The fish is still eating like a pig, a bit dark in color which is always the case.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results.
I used prazi to treat for gill flukes and ended about a week ago with that.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
55 gallon, had the discus for about 2 months. 5 angels, 15 tetras, 3 gourami, 3 pleco, 6 cory cats, 4 hatchet fish. All the fish are relatively small at this point. The tank itself is only around 3 months old.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom.
50% changed out twice a week which equals about once every 3 days. The tank has been running for about 3 months with gravel/flourite bottom. Two large pieces of malaysian driftwood and only a handful of plants.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84 degrees

- ph 6.7

- ammonia reading 0ppm

- nitrite reading 0ppm

- nitrate reading 5ppm

- well water no

- municipal water yes but treated with conditioner to remove chemicals

7. Any new fish/plants added recently. No

Eddie
06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Excellent, although you did not post type of filtration. What filter or filters are you using?

Initially, I'd knock a good cleaning of the tank and filter, followed by a good water change 50-75%. Then, probably do 50% every other day for a week or 2 and see how this affects the spots.

Eddie

discolove
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Im sorry, the filtration is just an aqueon over the side 55 filter. Anyways since you mention it I actually did clean the filter out earlier today with my 50% change. It was filthy inside to say the least. Now everything is clean and I will do the every other day changes and see what happens. This is the last time I ever buy a discus from a regular fish store. It was not a smart decision and it seems like every other week there is something not right with the thing.

Eddie
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Im sorry, the filtration is just an aqueon over the side 55 filter. Anyways since you mention it I actually did clean the filter out earlier today with my 50% change. It was filthy inside to say the least. Now everything is clean and I will do the every other day changes and see what happens. This is the last time I ever buy a discus from a regular fish store. It was not a smart decision and it seems like every other week there is something not right with the thing.

There you go, lessons learned. I have been down the same road. Anytime there is something going on with the fish, I turn to water and filter first. Keeping the filter maintained is half of your over all water quality!

All the best,

Eddie