PDA

View Full Version : Insane Growth BK

Eddie
06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
These Blue Knights from Wayne are growing at a freakish rate! I am literally watching this one fish grow. Less than 2 months and the first picture is day 1 and second picture is today. Its freaking me out! :)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/IMG_2866.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/28%20June/Wayne1.jpg

Take care,
Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-28-2009, 01:33 AM
love that BK eddie! thats gonna be the one to look out for! :D I cant wait till I get my BKs in...just a few more weeks of QT with my ARGDs and wild X and then its on like donkey kong! :D:D

rickztahone
06-28-2009, 03:35 AM
that's a big boy!

Eddie
06-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Sure is Ricardo, I am not kidding man....I literally wake up every morning surprised at how its growing! Although I am definitely not going to mix sources, this big cat can swim with my Blue Scorpions from Forrest and be cool! The others are growing well also but nothing like this guy, he and the other larger one were my first two. Must be something in the yellow fin tuna over here! LOL

Eddie

hedut
06-28-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm definitely agree, my Bk is growing like crazy to average 3". Eddie that big Bk you, I think will be monster 10" :D:D:D

hendri

Eddie
06-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm definitely agree, my Bk is growing like crazy to average 3". Eddie that big Bk you, I think will be monster 10" :D:D:D

hendri

Hopefully Hendri, hopefully! ;)

All the best with yours!

Eddie

poconogal
06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
.... Must be something in the yellow fin tuna over here! LOL

Eddie
Steroids? :D

Seriously, that will probably be one huge, gorgeous Discus!

Eddie
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Steroids? :D

Seriously, that will probably be one huge, gorgeous Discus!

Thanks Connie, I think so too. Might get that 10" monster if I am careful. :D

Take care,

Eddie

thebigone
06-28-2009, 09:48 AM
They are starting to look very good Eddie. That one is growing so fast. Wish you the best of luck with him and maybe you will have a monster on your hands.;)

Justice
06-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Great job Eddie I cant wait to see how big that one is as an adult

Upper Canada
06-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Eddie,

Wayne announced the Blue Knight strain in 1991. Yes it has been developed for 10 years now. Keep your temperature at 86 until they reach young adult size, then 84.

Bob

Eddie
06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Eddie,

Wayne announced the Blue Knight strain in 1991. Yes it has been developed for 10 years now. Keep your temperature at 86 until they reach young adult size, then 84.

Bob

Thanks everyone! ;) I am really excited about them. I appreciate the tip Bob, they are definitely loving life here in the warm and sunny Okinawa, I pretty much don't even need heaters. :)

Take care,

Eddie

KJoFan
06-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Awesome growth Eddie! I know I've noticed growth on mine already and I've only had them...3 weeks. I took some pics of them tonight I will have to try to get them posted tomorrow. These guys are so fun!

Eddie
06-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Awesome growth Eddie! I know I've noticed growth on mine already and I've only had them...3 weeks. I took some pics of them tonight I will have to try to get them posted tomorrow. These guys are so fun!

Thanks Karen, look forward to seeing yours too!

All the best with them,

Eddie

Eddie
07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
You can easily tell which one he is. LOL

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/8%20July/IMG_5739.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/8%20July/IMG_5749.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/8%20July/IMG_5750.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/8%20July/IMG_5751.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/8%20July/IMG_5761.jpg

DiscusKeeper403
07-08-2009, 02:49 AM
:shocked:

rickztahone
07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
have you measured this giant juvie?

Eddie
07-08-2009, 03:09 AM
have you measured this giant juvie?

Hey Ricardo, here he is at day 40, which was a little less than 30 days ago. Haven't pulled him again just yet. :D

40 days measurement.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/measurement/IMG_4627.jpg

rickztahone
07-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Hey Ricardo, here he is at day 40, which was a little less than 30 days ago. Haven't pulled him again just yet. :D

40 days measurement.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/measurement/IMG_4627.jpg

i'm sure he/she has grown at least 1/2" by now which is impressive to say the least. do you know how old these fish are? i wonder why the rest are not growing at the same rate? is this one at the top of the pecking order? is it a bully?

Eddie
07-08-2009, 03:22 AM
i'm sure he/she has grown at least 1/2" by now which is impressive to say the least. do you know how old these fish are? i wonder why the rest are not growing at the same rate? is this one at the top of the pecking order? is it a bully?

Definitely at the top of the pecking order, not really a bully. Just growing super fast. Hopefully I can get him to max size! :D

Take care,

Eddie

dpt8
07-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Eddie, Glad you are enjoying growing out this baby monster.. Good luck to you and ALL your fish.. I hope the others are doing fine now, in good health.. David T

Eddie
07-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Eddie, Glad you are enjoying growing out this baby monster.. Good luck to you and ALL your fish.. I hope the others are doing fine now, in good health.. David T

Thanks David! Really enjoying these Blue Knights. My other fish are coming around, a few more days to a week and should be back 100%.

Hope all is well and take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Eddie,

Your BKs are amazing. Do you know if they keep up the fast growth longer than other discus or do they just grow at an insane rate for the same amount of time? I think that this strain would be a lot of fun to grow out. It looks like you're going to have to go fishing fairly often to keep these monsters fed. LOL

Chris

Cooldadddyfunk286
07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Eddie, you gotta take that BK out for another measurement soon!! that ones gettin BBIIIIGGGG :D

Eddie
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Eddie,

Your BKs are amazing. Do you know if they keep up the fast growth longer than other discus or do they just grow at an insane rate for the same amount of time? I think that this strain would be a lot of fun to grow out. It looks like you're going to have to go fishing fairly often to keep these monsters fed. LOL

Chris

Hey Chris, I am not sure, the fish are now 5 months old. I know some people can get an inch a month in young fish and these....well, THIS one Blue Knight is still getting it I think. I will have to yank him out and give him a measure. :D The other 3 or growing at a consistent rate as well, just not as big as this one.

You know, I still have a freezer full of fish but I need to go out fishing again soon! LOL

Thanks for the comments ;)

Eddie, you gotta take that BK out for another measurement soon!! that ones gettin BBIIIIGGGG :D

I know Jason, I probably will pull him here in a few days to get an exact measurement. He's growing wild!

Take care,

Eddie

calihawker
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
WOW! Sure glad we aren't competing against you in the contest Eddie!;)

Eddie
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
WOW! Sure glad we aren't competing against you in the contest Eddie!;)

LOL, Its all in the fish Steve and you guys definitely got some winners!

Thanks and take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I've read somewhere that male discus start out growing faster than females. I wonder if this is true and explains why one or two will grow like crazy while the rest grow out at a more steady rate.

Chris

Eddie
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I've read somewhere that male discus start out growing faster than females. I wonder if this is true and explains why one or two will grow like crazy while the rest grow out at a more steady rate.

Chris

Could be, that would make him the lone male and 3 females....what a player. He must feel like a king in that aquarium. :D

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Eddie, I think its time for new measurement pics ;) :D

Eddie
07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

LOL, alright Jason, tomorrow when I do my daily water change, I'll give him another measure. I have to take pics tomorrow anyways for the 10 day chronological development pictures.

Take care!

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Cool Eddie, I saw the pics in the other section after I posted that request. they are lookin good man! lookin forward to seein how much growth they put on ;)

Eddie
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Cool Eddie, I saw the pics in the other section after I posted that request. they are lookin good man! lookin forward to seein how much growth they put on ;)

These guys are growing more tall than anything! LOL Will try and get some shots later.

Eddie

kaceyo
07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
These guys are growing more tall than anything! LOL Will try and get some shots later.

Eddie

The better ones will amaze you at how tall they can get. You should be measuring the hight and length for the record. The original "Standing Egg" discus.

Kacey

Eddie
07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
The better ones will amaze you at how tall they can get. You should be measuring the hight and length for the record. The original "Standing Egg" discus.

Kacey

Good call Kacey! Couldn't get pictures yesterday, the Boss had the camera. :o I will get some today though.

Take care,

Eddie

Eddie
07-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Sorry Jason, tried to get a picture of this guy while I was measuring him, uh uh...he would not lay there. He hasn't grown too much, he's about 3.75" now though. Growing good and strong. This is the update I put in the chronological thread.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/15%20July/IMG_5931.jpg

Take care,

Eddie

rickztahone
07-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Sorry Jason, tried to get a picture of this guy while I was measuring him, uh uh...he would not lay there. He hasn't grown too much, he's about 3.75" now though. Growing good and strong. This is the update I put in the chronological thread.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Waynes%20Fish/15%20July/IMG_5931.jpg

Take care,

Eddie

is that 3.75" SL or TL?

Eddie
07-16-2009, 05:39 AM
is that 3.75" SL or TL?

Thats TL Ricardo, still good growth. Its time for them start slowing down, so we'll see what happens. :D

Take care,

Eddie

Tito
07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Glad you are enjoying your fish and having fun raising them Eddie.

It will be interesting to see if your regiment makes this fish grow really large like you desire. I do notice that the others are behind him in growth and that he is slowing down a little. ( Meaning that as they all begin to approach the 4 mark they will slow down growing).

I can say that in my group of nine fish I've had similar experiences growing them out. One fish was way ahead of the pack but now most are all caught up and have slow down at the plus 4" mark.

As for my fish and their growth - IMO they are doing exactly what the textbook says.

Eddie
07-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Glad you are enjoying your fish and having fun raising them Eddie.

It will be interesting to see if your regiment makes this fish grow really large like you desire. I do notice that the others are behind him in growth and that he is slowing down a little. ( Meaning that as they all begin to approach the 4 mark they will slow down growing).

I can say that in my group of nine fish I've had similar experiences growing them out. One fish was way ahead of the pack but now most are all caught up and have slow down at the plus 4" mark.

As for my fish and their growth - IMO they are doing exactly what the textbook says.

Yeah, thats pretty accurate Tito, they do start to slow down once they reach a certain size. The 3" fish I picked up in February from Forrest (8 total) 5 of them are all 6" and the other 3 are between 4-5". The strain and genetics play a big role, probably the most important role in the fishes overall growth. ;)

Eddie

Scribbles
07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Eddie,

That BK looks awesome! Regardless of how big they end up these discus must be fun to grow out. I love the high body shape of them. I think that when life settles down I'm going to have to get some. Keep the pictures coming.

Chris

Eddie
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Eddie,

That BK looks awesome! Regardless of how big they end up these discus must be fun to grow out. I love the high body shape of them. I think that when life settles down I'm going to have to get some. Keep the pictures coming.

Chris

Thanks Chris, growing young fish out is my most favorite thing to do! Nothing like seeing how well you've taken care of your fish!

Take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks Chris, growing young fish out is my most favorite thing to do! Nothing like seeing how well you've taken care of your fish!

Take care,

Eddie

I hear ya. I love to watch how they change as they grow. Some of my friends think that I'm nuts with the work involved with these fish. It's something that you just don't get until you have raised them yourself.

Chris

Eddie
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I hear ya. I love to watch how they change as they grow. Some of my friends think that I'm nuts with the work involved with these fish. It's something that you just don't get until you have raised them yourself.

Chris

Work.....what work, you mean the love you have for your fish. The affection you give to them daily! ;)

People who keep goldfish see the care we give to our discus as work. :D

Take care,

Eddie