PDA

View Full Version : quarantine ABN

hedut
06-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering to getting some ABN for my tank. they will b e coming next week, my question is how do you quarantine ABN? any special treat? their size will be 1.5" - 2". I need some recommendation since since I never have ABN before. Thanks everyone

hendri

pcsb23
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't do anything special with them. Clean water and observe - usual rules I guess. They don't like ammonia very much so make sure your qt tank is either well cycled or has a ph under 7 (not too low though :))

Elite Aquaria
06-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Hendri,

They do not like Salt or Formalin either...they seem to sensitive to most medications.

Eddie
06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
If anything, Prazipro can be used safely Hendri.

Take care,

Eddie

mcsinny99
06-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I have several ABN's and other Bn's (regular, long fin, seamed, whatever).
They like algae, and need some meaties. On the QT thing, I'd just make sure they are healthy for a month and get 'em used to conditions, maybe along side some clowns or other sensitive fish.
And keep an eye on them, some BN's are sidesucking bastards. Watch for hickeys.

hedut
06-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Question, Do I need to give them quick cure or something like that? they about 1.5" to 2.5"

thanks
hendri

Eddie
06-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I would not since plecos ain't too cool with them type meds, thats why I recommended PraziPro. I have used Quick Cure on plecos with no visible ill effects but it is definitely not recommended.

On another note Hendri, are you putting them small BNs in with your discus? I have a feeling they will turn out to be an expensive snack. :( Is the tank barebottom, no where to hide type set-up?

Take care Hendri,

Eddie

1nvad3r
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
hello all

I had the same question aswell ,anyways would General Cure be safe for these guys ? i also have some Albino Cory that i plan to add on my Discus tank. All these guys came from the same reputable local breeder. I want to use General cure which has Prazi+Metro.using it as a precaution if they carry any nasties. Sorry for hajacking the thread :).

thanks in advance

Eddie
07-01-2009, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't use General Cure on them. Metro (antibiotic) isn't recommended without a purpose. The Prazi would be fine alone. Also, GC has salt in it, it killed a few of my cories a long time ago.

Eddie

hedut
07-01-2009, 05:51 AM
I would not since plecos ain't too cool with them type meds, thats why I recommended PraziPro. I have used Quick Cure on plecos with no visible ill effects but it is definitely not recommended.

On another note Hendri, are you putting them small BNs in with your discus? I have a feeling they will turn out to be an expensive snack. :( Is the tank barebottom, no where to hide type set-up?

Take care Hendri,

Eddie

Yes Eddie is gonna on bb tank, how about I put them with juvie discus between 2.5" to 3"? Are they ok? How fast ABN can grow? Thanks. Hendri

Eddie
07-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Yes Eddie is gonna on bb tank, how about I put them with juvie discus between 2.5" to 3"? Are they ok? How fast ABN can grow? Thanks. Hendri

Definitely should be okay with juvies that size. ;) I have no idea how fast they grow. :o

All the best with the BNs,

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
07-01-2009, 06:04 AM
2" size ABN will be fine with your juvies....

The ABN's will not like the Quick Cure since that med has Formalin. I fried a few last year with this med...The best approach when buying ABN is be sure the source is reputable and QT them and observe them for 4-6 weeks...then introduce one fish with the ABN's and observe for another 2 weeks before you mix them with you community of discus.

pcsb23
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
...How fast ABN can grow? Thanks. HendriQuite quickly really. Try and provide a few hiding places if they are going in a BB tank, a piece of wood or some caves or similar.

MostlyDiscus
07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I have a few ABN, maybe 30 or so. They have held up well vs PP,QC,Metro etc... My PH is around 5.8 and sometimes the PH drops a bit, say maybe 4.5 or so. NPs with the ABN.

Ed

hedut
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a few ABN, maybe 30 or so. They have held up well vs PP,QC,Metro etc... My PH is around 5.8 and sometimes the PH drops a bit, say maybe 4.5 or so. NPs with the ABN.

Ed

How big you ABN? cause some one told me that less than 3" they not to strong for PP, mine is less and 3"

Mrylln
07-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The bristlenoses hold up well with potassium permanganate, and I have used a light dose of formalin without any problem in a tank that had Ancistrus adults and fry of all sizes. They do usually have gill flukes. If you have cleared your tanks and fish of flukes, you'll be starting over if you put flukey bristlenoses (or any other fish) in with the discus.

They do grow quickly, especially in discus tanks; perhaps the extra slime? Give them a little slice of zucchini or a shell-less pea after lights out. If they go for it, they're hungry...if not, they're getting enough food when the other fish are fed.

The only time I've seen them harass discus was when there were adult discus in with breeding ancistrus. That wasn't about delivering hickeys as it would be with pl*cos; they were protecting the eggs. Adults are more formidable than one would think, given their general laid-back nature. The male Ancistrus was definitely having a go at the discus that was eyeing up his cave.

OTOH, adult Ancistrus are very persistent in trying to get to discus eggs on the cone. I had to remove all the adults from my planted tank when there was a pair of discus in love in that tank. The Ancistrus was worse than a kid brother.

Removing Ancistrus from a planted tank is not for sissies.

MostlyDiscus
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Gee,, never thought of the slime as a grow factor for BN. Kind of laughed on that one. I purchased my ABN at around 2 inches give a take a little. Didnt loose any on any treatments I had listed before. A young BN will back off a large discus with nps. If your breeding albino discus then you may want to take out the BN from the breeding tank. Albino babies dont seem to see well and scatter around the tank and the BN will prey on them.

Ed

Mrylln
07-05-2009, 11:46 AM
It's the slime, man! Hahahah! I believe it's so delicious that some cults collect it with teeny, tiny spoons, and offer it to their royals. Of course, there's the spoon.