PDA

View Full Version : Culling: Without breaking my heart?

Nanu
06-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi,
I want to know how do you guys cull the not so good fry or those that you feel
ain't gonna make it? Yesterday I had to cull about 10 of the fry which were quite small, I just fed them to some other fish, but it broke my heart. I know it is for the better of the species and may the strongest survive, but it was not a nice sight to see the fry we so dearly try to get, getting chased around and eaten up. Is this what you guys do too, feed it to a Red Tailed Cat Fish or something? Or do you guys have more humane ways of culling?
Thanks a lot.
Nanu

acroken
06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Nanu,
it is the hardest thing to do but totally necessary especially with fry. I use clove oil at 1cc to 10cc vodka to 1 gal water in a bucket. It just puts them to sleep, then bag and freeze them. Then 50 cc vodka for me:) I used to just freeze them but i dislike that practices. Hope this helps.

Kenny

mmorris
06-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I add 6 or 7 drops clove oil to a jar with a cup or so of water, shake well. Put the fish you need to cull in a bucket with a gallon or so of water, and slowly add the clove oil. They will quietly die. If you add too much too quickly they will stress. No need to freeze. Thanks to Graham for the method.

acroken
06-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I only freeze to easy disposal and hold them until trash day.

William Palumbo
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Can the clove oil be bought at the supermarket? I need to find a better way to cull as well. I HATE doing it. If you do not cull when they are young, it makes it even harder to do when they get big. I just freeze them for now, but want to try the clove oil method...Bill

Peachtree Discus
06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
....it was not a nice sight to see the fry we so dearly try to get, getting chased around and eaten up. Is this what you guys do too, feed it to a Red Tailed Cat Fish or something? Or do you guys have more humane ways of culling?

i used to feed culls to an oscar, but i agree that it could be rather disheartening to watch the hunt/kill. if you really care about the fish, nothing will feel humane. i have not checked the grocery but i found a small bottle of clove oil at GNC (health store in USA). Not expensive, but i haven't had the heart to use it yet.

poconogal
06-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Another reason why I won't breed them, I'd be in tears all the time. I can cull other, little fish and its still very upsetting, but even a sick Discus that I know most likely won't make it, can't do it. Not to a Discus. :cry:

Got my clove oil in the health food store too, GNC.

John_Nicholson
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey folks death is just the nature conclusion of life. There is nothing to feel bad about. It happens everyday. The life that we give our fish in tanks is so much better then what happens in nature. If you feel bad about culling a low quality fish then you really should take a long look at the situation and decide if breeding is what you really want to do.

-john

killimaniaco
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I feed live foods all the time. When I cull, I just feel like feeding just another live food to my larger fish. Drop them in and do not stare to watch the chase... get away from the tank. You'll get used to it, your remaining fish will be a constant reminder of the importance of culling.

Disgirl
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Is clove oil also used to euthanize a large discus? Have not had to do it but would like to know in case I ever have to. Same dose?
Barb:(

mmorris
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Is clove oil also used to euthanize a large discus? Have not had to do it but would like to know in case I ever have to. Same dose?
Barb:(

Yup.
I got my clove oil through WalMart but they had to order it.

Disgirl
06-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks Martha, hope I don't need to use it any time soon. But good to be prepared.
Barb

DiscusKev
06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Can the clove oil be bought at the supermarket? I need to find a better way to cull as well. I HATE doing it. If you do not cull when they are young, it makes it even harder to do when they get big. I just freeze them for now, but want to try the clove oil method...Bill

I agree with you about it being harder to cull when they are older since you feel like you have lost more of a value. Overall, culling may seem to be evil but its for its own benefit, though they have their animal rights to live...but hey, other people have different point of views too. Please share if you like.

Nanu
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
...I just feel it as in nature it is survival of the fittest and has been this way for the entire evolution, as better in the long run of the species; that the strongest ones (Here most likely best quality, and free form defects) survive and pass on good genes for future generations and this is the only reason I can justify to myself for culling them.

airbus123
06-30-2009, 12:52 AM
for me, i usually put them in a tank, and let them die off slowly. that's my usual practice.

zn394
06-30-2009, 07:03 AM
for me, i usually put them in a tank, and let them die off slowly. that's my usual practice.
Please tell me you are joking. That would be horrible!

William Palumbo
06-30-2009, 08:08 AM
That is cruel. That's usually the same fate they get when sold to pet shops. A slow death is never a good one. If going to cull, do it quickly. A quick, forceful slam to the floor is better than what you are doing...Bill

Disgirl
06-30-2009, 08:28 AM
For many years I have euthanized sick or dying fish, all kinds, by placing them into ice water. It is quick. I would never let a fish suffer.
Barb :(

cyberhog05
06-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I just had to cull 2 of my juvie stendkers. It sucked. I used the clove oil like others have stated.

D!NGO
07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I just use a styrofoam cup filled half way with water and add a few ice cubes into it. Let the water get really cold and put the culls in. It takes about 2 seconds. They won't suffer (I don't think) and it's free (no need for clove oil). Not to disagree with anyone here but with clove oil, it takes longer for them to go to sleep. HTH

Derek