PDA

View Full Version : Question about TDS, KH, GH

mugzy213
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok i live in washington state and my water out of my tap using a TDS meter is 027.

So i add RO right to the water to get a tds reading to 150. So my question is Are my GH and KH good if my tds is at 150? Does the KH and gh effect the the tds at all?

All I have is the test strips to measure the KH and GH and both seems low. how do i bring those up? does Ro right bring it up?

thanks

Hal

shawnhu
07-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi mugzy,

My understanding of TDS is that it consists of any form of ions in the water. This includes GH, KH, and many more minerals.

A high GH and KH usually indicates a high TDS, and vice versa. But because you are using RO Right, which contains a blend of minerals and salts, it raised your TDS, without raising your GH and KH too much. RO Right targets a blend of salts, not just Calcium, Magnesium, and Carbons, which make up GH and KH. If you're looking to increasing GH and KH, you can add Crushed Coral, Baking Soda, Calcium Carbonate, or even Tums.

Unless there's a real need for a higher GH, you should be fine where you are. Increasing KH would provide a more stable PH, and that can be achieved with the addition of Baking Soda.

Shawn

Eddie
07-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi mugzy,

My understanding of TDS is that it consists of any form of ions in the water. This includes GH, KH, and many more minerals.

A high GH and KH usually indicates a high TDS, and vice versa. But because you are using RO Right, which contains a blend of minerals and salts, it raised your TDS, without raising your GH and KH too much. RO Right targets a blend of salts, not just Calcium, Magnesium, and Carbons, which make up GH and KH. If you're looking to increasing GH and KH, you can add Crushed Coral, Baking Soda, Calcium Carbonate, or even Tums.

Unless there's a real need for a higher GH, you should be fine where you are. Increasing KH would provide a more stable PH, and that can be achieved with the addition of Baking Soda.

Shawn

So funny Shawn, I was literally chewing on some rolaids just yesterday and I was looking at the ingredients: Calcium Carbonate. I thought to myself "good for discus water" . LOL

Take care,

Eddie

Roxanne
07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
... Increasing KH would provide a more stable PH, and that can be achieved with the addition of Baking Soda.

Shawn

...but when the carbonate hardness is used up, the ph will crash if you have low gh...