PDA

View Full Version : He dont want nothing to do with her

Vieira
07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I have female laying eggs, she is not pairing because the one I think she like has no intrest in her. My question is, will she pair with a different fish and give up on him. He is a real big male I think, he was given to me buy a guy that had him for four years along with another one. The other one died when I was tranfering it to my house. Will he be aloner for the rest of his life because of his other friend dying. Or are they not pairing because of the size he is alot bigger then her.

rbarn
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Strange, I think I've read a couple of times that big males just
dont seem to be great breeders for some reason.

mmorris
07-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I doubt if it has much to do with his mate dieing or to his size. Have you tried them in their own tank? If you have another mature male (preferably pb) you could put them in a tank on their own and see how they get on. He's at least four - perhaps he's too old to want to start over. Four isn't so old though. Did your friend get him when he was an adult or when he was young? Maybe he just doesn't like her! LOL I'm assuming water is excellent, of course.

Vieira
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I doubt if it has much to do with his mate dieing or to his size. Have you tried them in their own tank? If you have another mature male (preferably pb) you could put them in a tank on their own and see how they get on. He's at least four - perhaps he's too old to want to start over. Four isn't so old though. Did your friend get him when he was an adult or when he was young? Maybe he just doesn't like her! LOL I'm assuming water is excellent, of course.

Hi Martha, yeah he got him when he was young. It looks like she tries to impress him but she just gets bully by him. She does a good job chasing all the other fish. I not even sure if he is a male all I know is she seems to like him.

mmorris
07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
There are some tricks that might get him in the mood. In their own tank you could drop the temp a couple of degrees, drop the ph a very little, go a few days without a wc and then do a massive one, with temp a couple degrees lower, isolate the male for a week or two and then put them together. I'm sure a search will turn up more ideas. Again, have you tried them in a tank on their own?